Tesla just changed everything

Pretty sure that’s the maths Trevorbix uses on his EIS’s

Screw your stupid batteries.

You love coal

Its not that I love coal that much, Its just that I hate the earth and everything on it.

Tamtoes tomatoes

Its not that I love coal that much, Its just that I hate the earth and everything on it.
And under it

Frack it baby

The Tesla device will be available in the US from around August, priced at approximately $4435 (AUD) for a 10kWh version, or $3800 (AUD) for a 7kWh version.

Turns out some of the tech in it, was developed by a mob in Canberra, and the roll out here start in October

So how is this battery and the technology any different to what is currently available on the market now? As far as i’m aware lithium ion is pretty much the ‘go to’ battery and I can see this one is bigger and how it gets charged etc, but honestly is the battery really that good? Also the 150 year claim is laughable without any facts. How was this tested?

To me keeping with the apple theme it’s more ‘we see what you have out there with mobile phones but we’ll just implement it better’. That coupled with sheer volume and capacity to make loads of it for a cheap price means there will be more uptake, more information to get out about it etc…

So how is this battery and the technology any different to what is currently available on the market now? As far as i'm aware lithium ion is pretty much the 'go to' battery and I can see this one is bigger and how it gets charged etc, but honestly is the battery really that good? Also the 150 year claim is laughable without any facts. How was this tested?

To me keeping with the apple theme it’s more ‘we see what you have out there with mobile phones but we’ll just implement it better’. That coupled with sheer volume and capacity to make loads of it for a cheap price means there will be more uptake, more information to get out about it etc…

It should all come to light pretty quickly as they are open sourcing the designs, but my understanding is it does a much smarter job at managing the loads in peak times, thus improving the life cycle of the battery considerably. It’s Telsa though, and bear in mind there track record for Battery innovation is pretty astonishing. There cars despite using less batteries get over twice the range, with more power, and a 1/4 of the charge time except for Fisker who literally stole the drive train and battery concepts (the guy who started Fisker was the guy employed by Tesla to design the model s, and just took the specs and ******* off)

Anyone who has ridden in or driven a Model S will tell you it’s the future of motoring. So I’m expecting the same level of innovation and quality with these things.

Musk has never done anything half arsed.

I’ll wait for the second or third generation then :slight_smile:

Sold 38000 home and 2500 industrial scale units the first day

Sold 38000 home and 2500 industrial scale units the first day

That is so incredibly exciting.

The local Tesla dealership is 2 blocks from the office where l work. The funny part is, across the road is the Ferrari / Maserati dealer, which even gets it own overheard road sign to inform punters where it is. My boss is waiting for the Tesla SUV to come out, but another one of the management team who has just bought one of the sedans, says the new model is still 2 years away. There are quite a few of them getting around town. Meanwhile across the street, there are 40 - 50 Masers sitting on the block, and 8 - 10 Ferraris of different models.

I read a costing study on the Model S Tesla a couple of weeks back, and despite costing around 100k at the entry, if you used it for daily use over a 6 year period it ends up as a similar cost over that time to something like a 3 series (its the same driveaway price as the active hybrid) or a 300c. The performance is insane for that money, its Ferrari Fast off the line for 3 series money, and if you cant manage a 502km range then your a douche. I desperately want one.

I read a costing study on the Model S Tesla a couple of weeks back, and despite costing around 100k at the entry, if you used it for daily use over a 6 year period it ends up as a similar cost over that time to something like a 3 series (its the same driveaway price as the active hybrid) or a 300c. The performance is insane for that money, its Ferrari Fast off the line for 3 series money, and if you cant manage a 502km range then your a douche. I desperately want one.

That is an absolute crock.

But if I lived in the right place I’d have one too.

That is an absolute crock.

But if I lived in the right place I’d have one too.

I was implying for someone living in a metro area boot. I feel ya though. That being said its only 1000k to have a fast charger installed at your house, and there are going to be a bunch of rapid charging stations around the CBD, one in Ballarat, Bendigo, Horsham, Shep. I think the plan is they want those networks set up so you can drive from captial to capital totally on the supercharger network. Those charge the car from empty in under an hour, and the plan is to have it that they will be spaced appart so that the charge cycles would only take 30 minutes.

So if you want to drive to say Sydney from Melbourne. Head off, drive for 3 to 4 hours, pull over for lunch drive again, pull over for a coffee, charge at both those stops while you eat/drink and boom your in Sydney.

Just a few questions .

1. What is the expected life of a Tesla car battery ?
  2. How much does a replacement battery cost ?
  3. How much will it cost to recharge each 502km.

Anyone tried the electric superbikes that are coming out now? They sound insane.

Just a few questions .

1. What is the expected life of a Tesla car battery ?

2. How much does a replacement battery cost ?

3. How much will it cost to recharge each 502km.

• They warranty the battery at 9 years, and expect replacement at 20

• Hard to say, its going to boil down to the declining costs of Lithium Ion, at todays production cost, around 6k but after the gigafactory is built 4.5k as soon as the second one is built and the inevitable Chinese market arrival, in 20 years who knows.

• Its going to depend on how you do it, through a regular wall socket, $25, through the rapid charger house fitment. $17, supercharger station, nothing. add a 7kw solar panel to your home rapid charger, nothing also. The supercharger station is the best method.

• If you are looking for the cheapest running cost, my advice is wait till mid 16 before you buy, by then the supercharger network will be running very well in Melbourne and its the fastest way to do it and its free.

that also being said, feel free to get 502kms of range out of your car off 25 bucks of juice.