Tesla just changed everything

Within 10 years, any new house should be built with the capacity to balance its power requirements, mandatory. If we don’t do this, we’re farkwits.

Within 10 years, any new house should be built with the capacity to balance its power requirements, mandatory. If we don't do this, we're farkwits continually voting in the liberals.
Isn't part of the idea of batteries that you use your excess yourself, rather than feed it back into the grid. It should reduce your dependence on the grid altogether.

There are graphs which indicate the average power you can generate seasonally at different latitudes. A 5 kW system could get our small house for our family of four by for maybe 3 seasons, but overcast days in winter are a bridge too far. If you get enough panels facing the right way in winter anything is possible, but on days when you think you could be generating 3.5kW on a 5kW system, once the clouds come over it drops it to 300 Watts, and that is the middle of the day in summer.

So in Winter with cloudy days you will need a lot of panels and be able to store a fair number of batteries to make it all work in Winter, it still depends on being having enough sun to generate the power and being able to store it for long enough if there is a long cloudy spell. I figured rather than having to invest in a 20kW system with a couple of power wall units, just to get through winter, it would be more economical to sell back power even at a poor rate to offset having to keep the power connected to get you through the lean times.

If the price of panels drops or if the technology improves further (eg: replacing the roof with the solar panel, water heating combo if that is affordable) then I might try and drop off the grid altogether. But at the moment a lot of investment is required to do so.

Melbourne sun is the problem. Perth sun. That’s proper sun.

Melbourne sun is the problem. Perth sun. That's proper sun.

There has to be some compensation for living so far from civilisation.

It’s nice over here. You’d like it.

Melbourne sun is the problem. Perth sun. That's proper sun.

There has to be some compensation for living so far from civilisation.

Yeah. You live in one of the best places on earth. It’s going to be hard to rubbish Perth, good as Melbourne is.

Been seeing a few Teslas on the road this week. Smart looking ride, still noise from the tyres, so not ‘silent’.

My next car will be my last petrol powered car I reckon.

Origin have announced a deal with Tesla where you pay 16k for solar panels, inverter, and the power wall. Later in 2016 they will launch for just the battery. Will be interesting to see how many take up the all in one.

That is way too dear. Unless it’s 10 kw system or something.

Weren’t the batts supposed to be around 3 & 1/2 K?

I think that price was wholesale US$, you would have to double that and then add some.

Decent power outage in Melbourne far outer east, wouldn’t mind a powerwall right now.

Decent power outage in Melbourne far outer east, wouldn't mind a powerwall right now.

Yep. I had a power outage myself on New Years Eve.

The missus was disappointed and it was probably the beers that caused it.

I told her not to go to battery power as everything will probably be back up again by the time she wakes up.

Decent power outage in Melbourne far outer east, wouldn't mind a powerwall right now.

I told her not to go to battery power as everything will probably be back up again by the time she wakes up.

Possibly the most complex euphemism I have ever read.

I don't think that's how it works. If mains power is off then so are the batteries.

@saladin can tell us the (apparent) safety argument for that.

I can’t manage to make a power wall/glory hole gag work.

Even that is censored???

I don't think that's how it works. If mains power is off then so are the batteries.

@saladin can tell us the (apparent) safety argument for that.

I’ll be interested to hear, I must admit I was surprised that the Solar didn’t work during the day when there was a power outage, despite adjusting what switches I could. This is when there should have been 2 to 3kW of power available.

You added ‘gag’ - that’s enough mate.

You added ‘gag’ - that’s enough mate.

Will it let me type Freudian?

I already have solar panels (5kWh) and a 6 star energy rated house but we still draw heaps of power: up to $400+ pm net of that ■■■■■■ solar rebate.
I am very keen on a powerwall as it would generate a positive return on my capital outlaid within say 18 months.

“Better batteries will also let businesses and homes store more of the power they generate instead of having to export it. Some of the advanced lithium-ion batteries Tesla will make for its electric cars at a giant factory in Nevada will also be sold as 10kWh and 7kWh storage units for domestic solar installations. Delivery of the first batteries, which will be contained in a unit called Powerwall, are scheduled to begin next year. Multiple Powerwalls can be connected together for sites with greater energy needs.

economist.com/news/technology-quarterly/21662650-solar-power-growth-renewable-energy-requires-new-ways-manage

…perhaps you can disconnect from the coal burners