Tesla just changed everything

"Better batteries will also let businesses and homes store more of the power they generate instead of having to export it. Some of the advanced lithium-ion batteries Tesla will make for its electric cars at a giant factory in Nevada will also be sold as 10kWh and 7kWh storage units for domestic solar installations. Delivery of the first batteries, which will be contained in a unit called Powerwall, are scheduled to begin next year. Multiple Powerwalls can be connected together for sites with greater energy needs."

economist.com/news/technology-quarterly/21662650-solar-power-growth-renewable-energy-requires-new-ways-manage

…perhaps you can disconnect from the coal burners

But, but… those batteries are dangerous! You’ll be running back to the wholesomeness of coal in no time!

"Better batteries will also let businesses and homes store more of the power they generate instead of having to export it. Some of the advanced lithium-ion batteries Tesla will make for its electric cars at a giant factory in Nevada will also be sold as 10kWh and 7kWh storage units for domestic solar installations. Delivery of the first batteries, which will be contained in a unit called Powerwall, are scheduled to begin next year. Multiple Powerwalls can be connected together for sites with greater energy needs."

economist.com/news/technology-quarterly/21662650-solar-power-growth-renewable-energy-requires-new-ways-manage

But, but… those batteries are dangerous! You’ll be running back to the wholesomeness of coal in no time!

Yep. People are only leaving coal because of it’s colour.
■■■■■■ racists!

mmmmm…mmmm…that lovely warm dark chocolatey stuff…

Have, incidentally, you guys heard that fantastically obnoxious ad about coal?

http://capx.co/168666-2/
One of America’s biggest solar companies, SolarCity announced last week that it would slash at least 550 jobs within Nevada, following its December decision to suspend solar-panel sales and installations within the state.

Interesting to that Musk (who is worth 13B) has received 4.9B in assorted subsidies from taxpayers.

http://capx.co/168666-2/ One of America’s biggest solar companies, SolarCity announced last week that it would slash at least 550 jobs within Nevada, following its December decision to suspend solar-panel sales and installations within the state.

Interesting to that Musk (who is worth 13B) has received 4.9B in assorted subsidies from taxpayers.

US $4,900,000,000. Gee if he gets a few more subsidies it could add up to quite a few dollars. What does that mean off the price of each car sold, about us$49,000 ? All this for a car that does 250 miles as long as you don’t run the heater, lights, or stereo.The next De Lorean.

http://capx.co/168666-2/ One of America’s biggest solar companies, SolarCity announced last week that it would slash at least 550 jobs within Nevada, following its December decision to suspend solar-panel sales and installations within the state.

US $4,900,000,000. Gee if he gets a few more subsidies it could add up to quite a few dollars. What does that mean off the price of each car sold, about us$49,000 ? All this for a car that does 250 miles as long as you don’t run the heater, lights, or stereo.The next De Lorean.

Lol. I know someone who owns one, and sorry to say that running lights, heater, stereo etc, driven at legal Australian speeds it is good for roughly 500km on a full charge. Which is better than you can say for my landrover. Hammer it though and that figure drops. As it does with any vehicle.

Like the banks or airlines or miners or google or car companies?
Heinous!

I was in neighbouring state of Utah a few months ago. Asked them why no solar to be seen. Reason is electricity is so cheap there it doesn’t justify the cost of getting it installed.

West side!

If anyone has any questions about the home battery storage for solar, Catalyst is doing a full examination on them tonight .

8.00 pm ABC 1.

Now the cat’s out of the bag*, … what have you got to say now Liberals? Malcolm?? Hello …?? … Malc?

(*let’s hope enough folk tuned in tonight)

Zinc Bromide batteries built into high rise wall panels … plus, (Surprised they didn’t mention it?) windows as solar generators … coal is on it’s death bed.

If Governments are ballsy enough to stand up to it.

Zinc Bromide batteries built into high rise wall panels .... plus, (Surprised they didn't mention it?) windows as solar generators .. coal is on it's death bed.

If Governments are ballsy enough to stand up to it.

And then…all the walls and windows start exploding…■■■!!!

Really interesting episode of Catalyst - thanks for the heads-up, BSDs.

Zinc Bromide sounds the go for sure. A huge advance and not just for home use, but transport as well. The ability to recharge one’s electric car in minutes instead of multiple hours from a home battery connected to renewable power is mouth watering.

The only issue I can see is who pays for the maintenance of the nation’s power grids? With so many people potentially going off grid in future I expect this cost will come from general taxation, or perhaps a power levy on each household rather than a direct grid connection fee.

As I watched the program I had a mental image of Tony Abbott glaring at his TV with that surly look…

As they would say in the Saga thread: “This changes everything”.

You canna tax the Sun, man!

The only issue I can see is who pays for the maintenance of the nation’s power grids? With so many people potentially going off grid in future I expect this cost will come from general taxation, or perhaps a power levy on each household rather than a direct grid connection fee.

I think California just did that.

So, their power grid is publicly owned or their government just subsidies the schizer out of it?

Yep seems like the real deal, but don't hang your hat on it costing $3000 here.

I am told that hooking up a 7 kWh system to our existing solar panels, and making all the mods that are needed will cost about A$15,000, and a 10 kWH unit for my office about $25,000.

Though it could cheaper when China starts making them.

The question for the future will be can we afford to do it, or not to do it !

That’s the best thing about it being Tesla built, and why them having a couple of dinky little dealers in Sydney and Melbourne.

Go to their website and download the press pack. They seem to think a 5kwh system is manageable, they are going for $2500. This pack is expected to cost around 3500 here. But the best bit my friend. They have already opened the patent up. Anyone can build them, he said in an interview on mashable, “I don’t need money, I’ve got billions, I want to save the world, and to do that more than just us have to make them”

Story in the media today says they will cost at least $12,000.

Looks like we are getting ripped off by the venal Australian middlemen yet again.

Yep seems like the real deal, but don't hang your hat on it costing $3000 here.

I am told that hooking up a 7 kWh system to our existing solar panels, and making all the mods that are needed will cost about A$15,000, and a 10 kWH unit for my office about $25,000.

Though it could cheaper when China starts making them.

The question for the future will be can we afford to do it, or not to do it !

That’s the best thing about it being Tesla built, and why them having a couple of dinky little dealers in Sydney and Melbourne.

Go to their website and download the press pack. They seem to think a 5kwh system is manageable, they are going for $2500. This pack is expected to cost around 3500 here. But the best bit my friend. They have already opened the patent up. Anyone can build them, he said in an interview on mashable, “I don’t need money, I’ve got billions, I want to save the world, and to do that more than just us have to make them”

Story in the media today says they will cost at least $12,000.

Looks like we are getting ripped off by the venal Australian middlemen yet again.

I’m surprised it isn’t taxed at the point of entry to the country at 300%. Gotta give back the energy companies their losses and some.

Tesla will release a Powerwall 2.0 this summer. The residential version of Tesla’s stationary battery designed for solar energy storage will get a significant update, which Elon Musk touched on briefly during his visit to Paris. “We are coming up with the version 2 of the Powerwall probably around July or August of this year, which will see further step changes in capabilities,” Musk says. Possibilities include lower pricing, higher capacity, and/or less deterioration over an increased number of cycles. It’s also likely that the new Powerwall batteries will be built at Tesla’s Gigafactory in Nevada. Read more at Treehugger.