That's a funny Pronunciation

How do you all pronounce “beer”?

I pronounce it " Beer" but most around here at least pronounce it as “Bee-a”. I’ve noticed it with other words such as ear (ee-a), tear (tee-a). Beer, ear and tear are one syllable words are they not?

Are you asking when at this stage:

or at this stage:

3 Likes

Ha. No. It’s at anytime of day. Is it a WA peculiarity or am I getting it wrong?

I thought the only word Western Australians can pronounce is “Booooooooooo”.

15 Likes

We seem to pronounce it “Boo-ooo”

1 Like

I pronounce it ‘bourbon.’

4 Likes

Nothing like a quiet bee-ah before going to the fillums.

A ‘beer’ before a ‘moo’vee’ is quite nice.

Not just a WA thing. I’ve heard bee-a here in Victoria plenty of times.

My pet peeve at the moment is a certain weather presenter who constantly refers to the period before night as the e/ven/ing. Which means “to make things even”.

The word you are after is eve/ning. Two syllables. Stupid bint.

And don’t get me started on “police” versus “pleece”.

/rant.

2 Likes

“Poh-lice”

Anyone read Confederacy of Dunces? If not, a warning - you might laugh yourself unconscious.

3 Likes

When’s this thread going racist?

I’m not racist…but when I was in china they had this Beer called Reeb. I’ve got no idea how the pronounce it, but it’s marketing genius!!!

1 Like

2 beers in and I’m going all Mexican.

I’ll have areeba andalay andalay.

1 Like

One that I can’t handle is dissect.

It has two syllables:
Dis = apart
Sect = cut

(Not ‘di’ + ‘ssect’)

The ‘dis’ should be pronounced as it is in display, distance, disparate etc.

It’s not meant to rhyme with bisect.

Weird pedantry I know, but I’m right.

3 Likes

Unfortunately, you’re not.

Who said English is a phonetic language? And there’s a joke…spelling ‘phonetic’ that way.

3 Likes

At the Thee et er

It’s beer spelt backwards!!!

Genius. Chinese got mad marketing skills

In the Glenorchy footy clubrooms theres no syllables at all. Park the work bus , walk through the doors and bang, there it is , waiting on the bar.

1 Like

I remember when I was in a supermarket in San Diego and asked in my aussie accent if they sold beer. The guy had no idea what I was talking about. I then pronounced it with the thickest american accent I could do and he said ‘yeah aisle 4’

One for the Sandgropers. Derby. Most pronounce it as “Darby” rather then “Der-by” as they do in the west. When I lived over there I stuck to the normal (non-WA) way of saying it, much to their chagrin…

2 Likes