That's a funny Pronunciation

Yep.
I ask a lot, I know.

Edit: lovely speaking voice, though.

I want to hear how those wankers who pronounce often as off-ten pronounce “listen” and “soften”.

Speaking of which, where has this “often times” business come from?

Around about the middle ages I’d say.

Been a thing forever in my time.

1 Like

Holy sheet!

Magnif effort here, Decks. Am I detecting some ‘received pronunciation’ (RP) here? I had you all wrong. Figured you would have more of an ocker, blokey Aussie accent. :wink: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

The cool (or not) thing about Aussie English is that it is relatively homogenous. Unlike in the U.K. or the States, it is very difficult to know which part of Australia someone comes from based on their pronunciation (Dandenong and Frankston the obvious exceptions). I’m not sure on the exact figures, but RP (received pronunciation) is much rarer now than decades ago (perhaps 10% or less?).

Anyway, never figured you as a toff, Decks. Ha.

2 Likes

Just hamming it up a little, man. I don’t go around talking like that all the time (I hope!)

1 Like

I frickin love it. A seriously superb effort. Deserves more likes. :clap:

Edit: Did you learn how to enunciate like that from your earlier education in Europe?

I lost count of the times when I was living in Melbourne that someone I was meeting for the first time would ask me which country I was from…

Have always figured you as a master impersonator, Dingus. #kennyrogers. :rofl:

I have been known to rock a Kenny tune from time to time…

1 Like

Every time that I have visited the States, I am always asked on multiple occasions which part of England I come from. Yanks (generally speaking) really struggle to pick Aussie accents.

At a bar in NYC one time, a drunk tenderonie was chatting with me and started talking about some recent gifts that she had received. Her dialogue went something like this: “So, yeeeeeeahhhh, aaaanyway, I scored some CDs for my birthday. Ya know, CDs? Compact discs. Do you guys have compact discs in Australia?”

“No, we don’t. Nor do we have motor vehicles. We ride kangaroos to work” I replied and promptly walked away.

Heebeegeebees - Kenny Rogered.

I agree with your first sentence, but didn’t know you were that old. :wink:

3 Likes

That is a combination of us being a young country and recent homogenisation by nationwide TV/radio bringing us mostly US shows/accents. Both of these factors have mitigated against - or even aborted - the evolution of regional accents.

However I can pick someone from NSW by the way they pronounce one common word (serious). But with the NSW hegemony of the media this pronunciation is slowly spreading to other states replacing the way that word is pronounced in the rest of the English speaking world.

Obviously, AT, however, it is intriguing how another relatively young country in the U.S. haven’t maintained a homogenous pronunciation of English.

I was referring more to how Americans struggle to pick the Aussie accent, however, English and Kiwis rarely (if ever) make the same mistake. I have never once been picked as an Aussie when travelling to various parts of the U.S. As for picking accents within OZ, that is a fair effort. I haven’t been able to do that without hearing variations in local lexicons (pots, middys, schooners, etc) or slang.

Just in case you hadn’t noticed, they were settled a couple of hundred years before us. And by people from different regions from England, and into different geographic regions, which were isolated for many years, This allowed the evolution of regional accents in the US before the homogenisation of accents by MSM. They maintain regional accents by the weight of numbers, but eventually it will be homogenised by the media. I have noticed the disappearance of regional accents over the last 40or so years I have been visiting/working in the US.

Australia has had none of these above factors, except for regional isolation, which did give rise to different word usages, but these have died or are dying out now.

1 Like

Listen to how they pronounce “because”. Snydey people pronounce it “BEE-course” (nearly rhymes with “big horse”). Most of the rest of the English speaking world pronounces it “beCOZ”. As I said, the NSW pronunciation is starting to spread mainly to QLD, probably because they share the same bum-sniffing code of winter sport.

Meh, 200 years is nothing in historical terms.

It is a fascinating discussion topic, AT. Happily welcome you to come and visit me (bearing gifts - preferably whisky) and we can stay up till the wee hours of the morning chewing the fat over it.

And, … “There can only be one, …” :smirk:

1 Like

I said that to a date once, and got my face slapped for my trouble,… :smirk:

1 Like