The 1993 premiership - 30 years ago today

Today marks the 30th anniversary of our '93 premiership. It remains my all-time favourite footy memory, with my all-time favourite player, Michael Long, delivering an unbelievable performance on the day. I was just a toddler when we won in 84-85, and 2000 was a foregone conclusion, but '93 was just a special flag, and footy in the 90s was a great spectacle.

We made seven Grand Finals in the first 20 years of my life, and have been utter rubbish ever since. Kinda sad that we have to go so far back when it comes to club successes, and kinda scary that I can clearly remember things that happened 30 years ago. Here’s hoping the club can somehow rediscover all those things it used to stand for and that made it so successful…

36 Likes

Long’s wonder goal in the first quarter is obviously my favourite moment of the game, but I’ll give an honourable mention to Calthorpe’s running bomb late in the third that snuffed out the Carlton comeback. That was brilliant.

Also, in a useless bit of trivia, Toby Greene was born on that day. Should be playing for the Bombers.

16 Likes

Happy anniversary Carlton you bunch of ■■■■■■■ ■■■■■

20 Likes

When we watched this game during the Covid watchalongs one thing that stood out for that I didnt really notice before was just how bad SOS was that day. Its up there with the all time GF stinkers

3 Likes

Never really noticed on past viewings, but they had very few good players on the day and some deadset spuds in their line-up (Sholl, Powell, Athorn).

2 Likes

Madden and Kernahan the only 2 that won their direct match up.

1 Like

In mentioning ‘90s players, the name Mark Athorn nearly makes me smile the most.

And then I giggle

5 Likes

I reckon Hogg did a good job on Bewick, especially since Boris kicked six in the PF.

2 Likes

Particularly given FCFC somehow decided he was the man to go with Michael Long…

5 Likes

Salmon’s bag of five that day probably doesn’t get the credit it deserves. And not the first time he stood up in a GF.

In fact, Salmon’s entire 93 was underrated. We don’t get near that flag without him at full forward.

30 Likes

I’ve told the story before but it’s worth repeating… had a standing room ticket to the game but like GF’s before I walked around the G to buy a seat (getting a ticket was sooo much easier back then).

I ended up at the Punt Rd end of the Great Southern Stand in the top deck directly in line with the goals.

When I took my seat I couldn’t believe my luck! For company I had the Long and Wanganeen clan. Longy’s mum actually pulled out a card to verify her identity for goodness sake.

So many highlights on the day but getting a close up view of Wallis ironing out Hanna was glorious in that the action spoke of Essendon’s aggressive intent to win flag no. 15

21 Likes

Michael long is obviously the favourite goal of the match by many but mine was bewicks snap from 40 or chris danihers dont argue

“BEWICK LOOK AT THIS!”

An era with actual commentary too

4 Likes

On his wrong foot, too. I loved watching him play, very skillful and he absolutely annoyed the ■■■■ out of opposition supporters.

2 Likes

Always felt Bewick was a better shot on the run. We could do with him now.

2 Likes

Imagine if Wanganeen kicked that goal in the third.

13 Likes

“They don’t want this, this’ll sting”

4 Likes

30 years. Geez, I’m old.

4 Likes

My favourite flag of the four that I’ve been alive for.

That whole '93 season was a spectacular roller coaster of a ride but so much fun.

8 Likes

Would’ve just about been goal of the century. Such a shame it didn’t go in.

3 Likes

I loved Longy.
Ian Robertson in commentary: “surely he’ll be too quick and talented for Athorn, that’s a problem area for the Blues…”

I remember saying to the Mrs. IronFist of the time “Mark Athorn vs Michael Long? They must be joking”

Athorn wasn’t alone, FC had several potatoes in that '93 side.

3 Likes