The 1993 premiership - 30 years ago today

Alot of that side was still the core of their 95 flag

Interestingly, that day was the day I was due to be born. Sadly, I took two weeks longer so I have only experienced one premiership in my lifetime. I watched a replay of this game last year, what an incredible team.

1 Like

Was a 6 year old in 93ā€™ and can faintly remember dancing around the living room when the final siren blew. Fair to say I was a diehard from that point onwards.

2 Likes

What surprised me when I looked into the 1993 Grand Final was that we had 10 players from 1990 play in the grand final day side in 93

While the '93 GF is definitely my favourite footy memory, the 1990 GF was the only time a game of footy made me cry. Probably best to leave that one out of this thread.

The following ABC News article says, ā€œBrisbaneā€™s Callum Ah Chee has the chance to be the first Chinese-Australian man to win an AFL premiershipā€.

HOWEVER, my understanding was that Michael Long has some Chinese heritage (the source of the ā€˜Longā€™ surname), making him the actual first Chinese-Australian man to win an AFL premiership, 30 years ago!!

Can anyone confirm this? Iā€™m sure Iā€™ve heard Longy mention this on TV, but the only reference I can find is his Wikipedia page, which says, " Michael Long was born on 1 October 1969[2] to mother Agnes and father Jack Long. Both were removed from their parents at a young age and taken to Melville Island, one of the Tiwi Islands. Jackā€™s half Chinese and half English father fought unsuccessfully for custody of his son."

1 Like

Try 1983 and being at the ground. I was out of the country in 84 and 85. Then at the 1990 GF. I felt the club owed me 1993.

5 Likes

Might be a controversial take - but the best goal of the game was Misitiā€™s from the boundary end of the 3rd. Blues had a kicked a couple & we were regaining some momentum. Calthorpe kicked his from the middle then on the siren Misiti kicked his. Sitting near the Blues cheer squad that day was the goal that ended the gameā€¦

15 Likes

And he goes for home, and what a way to go

7 Likes

His 10.6 against Geelong with Ablett kicking 14.7. Ridiculous.

What a season that was. Probably the greatest season ever, and we walk away with the chocolates.

4 Likes

ā€œCatch us!ā€ say the Bombers.

Itā€™s three-quarter time

3 Likes

Went off early in the last quarter with a hamstring injury if I recall correctly. He is underrated by Essendon supporters.

2 Likes

Loving you guys quoting the commentary, itā€™s all coming back. They really do need to get rid of ex footballers and just get the best commentators.

2 Likes

I was too young at the time, but Iā€™d have been disgusted to be there the day he was jeered off the ground against West Coast.

Someone who had given his level of service to Essendon deserved far better than that. That was appallingly shameful behaviour.

1 Like

Absolutely agree. BTW Gary Oā€™Donnell should have won BOG. Finally a co-incidence. At the final siren of the 84, 85 and 93 GFs Essendonā€™s number 10 had the ball in their hands - Gary Foulds twice and GOD in 93

6 Likes

I have another one.

Wally getting the lucky bounce and booting the goal 20 seconds after the Hanna hit was delicious.

Pouring salt into a gaping FC wound.

4 Likes

This thread just makes me sad about the state this club has been in for 2 decades now!

I know that people will say that ā€œat least you got to experience successā€, but I think itā€™s worse because I was not prepared for the shitshow that we have become. It would have been easier to have been born into it and not known any better.

2 Likes

Being born into it doesnā€™t stop you from being aware of all the success we had from 1984 to 2000. The TV highlights and stories from family are still there to remind you. It just makes you feel like you missed out on all the good stuff that makes supporting the club now easier to swallow.

When we lost in 01ā€™ I was 14, and reacted with almost nonchalance because I was just expecting weā€™d make another Grand Final in the coming years; how naive was I!?

2 Likes

Yeah, but I grew up an arrogant fan, and now have been put in my place.

2 Likes