The 2016 Benfti hype list (blokes we might actally draft!)

Let me start by saying this year I have not had the time to commit to this like I have had previous years, wherein I use my scoring system that I talked about last year to compare the players in my list against most of the competition in their respective age groups, I watched all the nationals, got some tape of a lot of the state league games (seniors) when I had worked about by about April how my group was shaping up and focused on working out the most interesting 7.
I will also preface this by saying I try to focus on mid draft to rookie list sort of guys with the odd complete outsider because I don’t see much of a point in doing a right up on guys like SPS as he has been in the elite system for a number of years and people pretty much have a good handle on who he is and what he has to offer.

Id also like to add that after 7 years of doing these to have Walla and Yestin added to our actual list this season was a dream come true, Walla exceeded my lofty expectations and I have full faith with more development Yestin will get there too. So with that in mind, lets see If I can get a hat-trick this year (one will do)

Willie Rioli Jr, 175cm / 76kgs Forward - Glenelg SANFL + St Marys NTFL

Congratulations to Willie for being the first player since Anthony Tipungwuti to be a return to the list from a previous year (2013) Here is what you need to know about Rioli, this time two years ago he weighed in at 92 kilos and over the last two years with a complete lifestyle change and a move to Adelaide he has dropped 16kgs and got super fit. It has paid off, with several bags of 5+ in the SANFL and a very impressive 4 goal performance in the state of origin game, Willie has proven to be a dangerous small forward. He is the cousin of Dean and Cyril but plays a lot more like Dean. Sublime user of the footy on both sides of his body and he hits to hurt. Other clubs have noticed to because he received another combine invite this year. He had improved in every aerobic capacity, and showed a lot more speed and agility this year than his time as a junior and at South Freo (he was no slug at any of these stages but is seriously nimble now. He is an Essendon boy who grew up idolising Dean. He is 21, and could easily play senior footy next year.
Draft range 3rd round to Rookie

Ben Long 183cms/74kgs Utility – Melbourne G APS/ St Marys NTFL

Missing out last year on being drafted Ben got another opportunity at TAC cup level as an over age player and did not let this year’s opportunity go to waste, like seriously, smashed it. Got a run at the u/18 champs and averaged 20PPG and got selected in the Allies team to play Div 1 and played on Ben Ainsworth as a defender and kept him to 5 touches. He then got selected to play VFL football as the 23rd man for the Western Bulldogs VFL team and did ok his first game, and then ended up playing in the next 6 including their finals run with the standout game being his 6 goal performance in against the Pies in the Semi final. What sort of player is he? he is a Long, a rangy wingman but is capable of going forward and kicking goals, whilst also playing off half back and shutting down his direct opponent whilst also giving you rebound off half back. Good user of the footy. People will say why do we need Ben when we have Jake? Jake is more a pure wingman where as I could see Ben settling as a running defender at AFL level. Got a combine invite.

Draft range: 3rd round to rookie

Note: There is a very real possibility that a Long and Rioli are going to get drafted this year and that they could make very good footballers at other clubs, not having a go at us, its just this year they are projecting to fall outside our draft range.

Cedric Cox, 184cm/75kgs Halls Creek/ North Ballarat TAC

Cousin of Sam Petrevski-Seton and brother of the recruits on Daniel Cox, Ced has had a year that has brought from pretty much nowhere right up to possibly second round calculations. In the footsteps of Yestin Eades, Ced moved from Halls Creek to the same school as Eades to try and help him ward off homesickness that came from his first stint at trying to make it in footy (Claremont u/18’) The move paid off, because he settled and ended up getting a call up to the Vic Country team and had a decent champs and a good TAC cup season. He even got a call up to NB VFL side. He has been an AFL nomination for a rookie B list eligibility, but no way he goes through the NAB undrafted and if he does he will be in a feeding frenzy for a B spot. Super, super quick and a very good user by foot, a true line breaker because he is always looking to break the line, get into space and then kick to advantage, and his dangerous with ball in hands. Does not get a lot of it though so similar to Eades that’s what he will need to work on heading into an AFL system.

Ezekiel Frank - 192cm 82kgs NT Thunder - Palmerston FC

So if Ezzy was draft eligible last year he would have been a second round pick. But here is the snap, after a great champs as an underager, and a decent TAC cup season for North Ballarat he was forced to return home to Darwin for family reasons, meaning he fell off the radar of recruiters (and there was some loss in confidence that he could stick) and fell out of the elite pathway he was on. But I refuse to give up on Frank because he is seriously talented, a lot of what took him back to Darwin was beyond his control and he actually a really good kid. Taking the cultural stuff aside he is also a 192cm (still growing) speedster with great hands above his head and below his knees who can play any position. ANY. But as a prospect, Forward suits him best, he can play as your 3rd tall, but I like him as a CHF purely because he will beat most defenders in the air and if the ball hits the ground its game over, there is not a key position player in the AFL you would but on him for height that could beat him back to goal if your team gets over the press. If you try to run a quicker guy with him to do that all he will need to do is take that guy to the square and carve him up overhead. He will take a lot of work and is probably a 2-3 year prospect before you know what you really have. But totally worth it.

Draft Range : Rookie to Undrafted

Kym Lebois - 174cm 68kgs - North Adelaide SANFL

If bloodlines are your thing, and seeing a Long and a Rioli in this thread wasnt enough for you, then let me introduce you to Kym Lebois, he is first nephew to Gavin Wanganeen, Alywn and Aaron Davey. This guy, is pre knee injury froggy. That phenomenal closing speed that sees him come out of nowhere to take down defenders. That instinct for that role is real in him as well. He has more natural goal sense than Froggy did, and he is being actively mentored by Gavin. Played SANFL ressies footy for North a few times this year in the SANFL and didnt look out of his depth. Good user of the footy and a great attitude. If we use pick 41 and Willie and Ben are gone, this is who I would take.

I will do these two in the morning and add more on Lebois

Tyson Stengel - 171cm - 69kgs - Woodville West-Torrins SANFL

Kayle Kirby - 181cm 86kgs - Bendigo Pioneers TAC

Please note, guys like Shai Bolton, Brandon Parfitt, Jy Simpkin and Sam PSm are all first round calcs this year, all excellent prospects. Plently will be written about them leading up to the draft so I didnt feel the need to include them in this years list.

Thanks Ben! great write up

All three of those are probably real considerations for #29, maybe #20.

Thanks.

Would be happy with any one on those 3, happier still with 2 out of 3.

Agree 29 probably not 20.
Would like to hear about some rookie prospects and will you do a write up on our academy kids. Nominated

<blockquote class="Quote" rel="benfti”>[Cedric Cox] has been an AFL nomination for a rookie B list eligibility</blockquote> Which of the below does he meet? <p>• has not registered in an Australian Football competition for three years immediately before inclusion on the Rookie List;<br> • is an international player, meaning he is not an Australian citizen and has not lived in Australia for a substantial period;<br> • is a former NSW Scholarship player with that club;<br> • is a former International Scholarship player with that club;<br> • is a rookie Zone Selection for clubs based in NSW or Queensland.</p>
<blockquote class="Quote" rel="benfti”>[Cedric Cox] has been an AFL nomination for a rookie B list eligibility</blockquote> Which of the below does he meet? <p>• has not registered in an Australian Football competition for three years immediately before inclusion on the Rookie List;<br> • is an international player, meaning he is not an Australian citizen and has not lived in Australia for a substantial period;<br> • is a former NSW Scholarship player with that club;<br> • is a former International Scholarship player with that club;<br> • is a rookie Zone Selection for clubs based in NSW or Queensland.</blockquote></p> <p>Was nominated by the AFL as part of the special multicultural/indigenous academy program this year.</p>

The RECRUIT

<blockquote class="Quote" rel="benfti”>[Cedric Cox] has been an AFL nomination for a rookie B list eligibility</blockquote> Which of the below does he meet? <p>• has not registered in an Australian Football competition for three years immediately before inclusion on the Rookie List;<br> • is an international player, meaning he is not an Australian citizen and has not lived in Australia for a substantial period;<br> • is a former NSW Scholarship player with that club;<br> • is a former International Scholarship player with that club;<br> • is a rookie Zone Selection for clubs based in NSW or Queensland.</blockquote></p> <p>Was nominated by the AFL as part of the special multicultural/indigenous academy program this year.</blockquote><br> Yeah, I suspected the AFL site (quoted above) was wrong.</p>
Agree 29 probably not 20. Would like to hear about some rookie prospects and will you do a write up on our academy kids. Nominated

Yep, a couple of those and then a rank outsider

Arguably the greatest yearly thread on blitz.

I would love Rioli…

But I am a little scared at how incredibly creepy it will be to hear Bruce saying “ooOoooOohhh WILLIE, don’t we love him” with that extra creepy grin he gets which makes you think he has just climaxed.

Cedric.

Want!

Im going to go out on a limb, and im not alone in this thinking, but he could be top 3 in the best Rioli’s to have played.

added another

Im going to go out on a limb, and im not alone in this thinking, but he could be top 3 in the best Rioli's to have played.

WANT.

Would definitely draft Willie. Very talented footballer.
Frank would be a great later pick too. Can definitely play but has obviously had a lot of things going on this year. Could see him going around next year and jumping up the order if he gets passed up.

I hope we take a player like Frank in the draft or rookie Draft. So much potential and at little cost, but I know we probably won’t

We should move Frank to Tiwi for a year :wink:

What’s the potential on Frank being guided and supported by Tippa and Co.? Is the tribal difference something that could hinder any support?
I am trying to word that as best as possible, no intention to offend anyone