The 2022 Cricket Thread officially here

Given how historically poor we are in the sub-continent, it is a tough initiation for McDonald. Pakistan are no pushovers…

1 Like

The attitude changed. We started with 4 losses out of 5 last year but we all knew anyway that things had changed.

Imagine getting your coached sacked, because he can be a bit loud sometimes…

Grown men ladies and gentlemen…

As if it’s only that

The overly intense, micromanaging types in any organization wear thin on staff

Elite sports people under enough pressure as is without it being all consuming off field also

From the sounds of things he was just too full on and fun/happiness aspect which was needed seemingly wasn’t there. Even though he’d made adjustments and backed off had already got too many offside

Both players and other support staff wise

They just won the T20 World Cup & nearly won the ashes 5-0.

Surely those people could see he was doing something right.

flowers

everyone needs to be cuddled and kissed

3 Likes

When you consider ‘sandpaper gate’, maybe they all needed a bit more discipline.

1 Like

I see you, and raise you the ECB

Oi! And Me!

Was forced to take a back seat to Di Venuto and McDonald. They should get the credit for the Ashes, and I’ll let Langer take the blame for India.

1 Like

Hence the field was narrowed to Australian organisations only!

1 Like

I think it’s a generational thing. Langer like Worsfold was a Gen X and now McDonald is like Rutten as a Gen Y. The current generation of sportspeople aren’t responding as well to Gen X thoughts as they once did.

Wait, according to ABC News they only offered him a 6 month extension !? Ffs, so they didn’t even have the balls to sack him, preferring to force him to walk ? Whether you think he should stay or not, that’s flatout disgraceful. No wonder Ponting is scathing.

8 Likes

Really admired him as a player and think CA bungled this big time. According too Warner and others the coach isn’t important but i’ve got a funny feeling we’re about to find out differently.

The media must be licking their lips waiting for the new coach too fail. Hopefully the new coach can still make the tough calls needed because our batting lineup is far from world leading.

1 Like

Not only did they only offer him 6 months but they said there was not going to be any extension beyond that. It was 6 months then see you later. That is appalling behaviour.

1 Like

Is there word on who these players are that JL didnt get on with?

Yeah … offering a short term contract was cowardly. CA knew he wouldn’t accept and their silence on this is poor to say the least. Players are on big money with all the franchises they play for … its changed alright to what JL came through as a player. But JL was a winner, a fighter, disciplined and dragged us as a cricket team back from the brink. So thank you Justin.

Impressive person in many ways. I might read one or two of his books. I hope he doesn’t take the bait if England come knocking but maybe rent the house out, up sticks with his family and land instead in, say Dublin if Irish Cricket are interested. Go off piste JL … build a decent team of dedicated players with Irish links, hook up with Morgan who’ll retire from the England setup soon and have fun. Let the family see Europe whilst you do a number on the England XI in all formats across the Irish Sea at every opportunity.

Drop anchor away from Oz for a while. And well away from CA.

2 Likes

Scotland would be a good fit for him.

It gets even worse:
“The offer came after Langer this week turned down a lucrative bonus to help Cricket Australia’s bottom line during the pandemic, while also conscious several staff members had lost their jobs due to budgetary pressures.”

Imagine how insulting it was for him to be be offered a pathetic six month period to give the team to someone else (CA wanted a “handover” deal and I suspect that was for McDonald) after you get put into the Hall Of Fame and don’t take a bonus available to you to save others jobs.

3 Likes

It’s just not cricket!

Langer would be a good fit as Nepal’s coach