The 2023 fix(ture) is in

Sunday games blow chunks

Give me Friday night footy.

We are fast becoming irrelevant. Better get some at the back end of the year

1 Like

Tasmanian cops “Crap AFL Fixtures”

Got to love this

“The AFL’s decision to schedule a series of eight potentially low-drawing matches for Tasmania in 2023 has been described as “crap” by a former premier, as talks over the state’s own licence drag on.”

Of course it’s low drawing its ■■■■■■■ North Melbourne and Hawthorn :laughing:

1 Like

I don’t think anyone has mentioned this, but including that weird South Australian round we only travel interstate 5 times, which would be just about the bare minimum (when a single SA round is included).

Definitely some big pros and cons to this draw.

Haven’t seen this mentioned on here (unless i missed it), but my old man told me today he saw on the news the other day that they have created a new blockbuster game for Essendon and Carlton, to be played Queens birthday eve each year.

Now unless he misheard it, i didn’t know this was going to become a annual blockbuster timeslot for us?

I think so Kings Birthday Eve blockbuster

Not bad, good timeslot the night before a public holiday. Big crowd and ratings I’d imagine.

1 Like

Lansberger in the Herald Sun makes a fair point.

Surely the fairest way to do the fixture is like this.

TOP SIX: Three v top six, two v middle six, one v bottom six

MIDDLE SIX: Two v top six, two v middle six, two v bottom six

BOTTOM SIX: One v top six, two v middle six, three v bottom six

You can still get all your blockbuster/derby games this way regardless of ladder position.

6 Likes

AFL Fixture 2023: Champion Data’s in-depth analysis for every team

New Essendon coach Brad Scott has been handed an early Christmas present, with the Bombers receiving the easiest fixture of any side.

An in-depth fixture analysis by Champion Data reveals Essendon also has the easiest final five games of the season and has been scheduled to play just six interstate matches – the equal-fewest of any team.

Only two of the Bombers’ double-up games next year are set to come against 2022 finalists, reigning premier Geelong and preliminary finalist Collingwood.

The other four double-up opponents for Scott’s side are Port Adelaide (11th this year), Greater Western Sydney (16th), West Coast (17th) and North Melbourne (18th).

Essendon finished 15th on the ladder with just seven wins this year, but the Bombers are bullish that they can improve quickly under Scott next season.

While Scott has hit the jackpot, the same can’t be said for out-of-contract Western Bulldogs coach Luke Beveridge, who faces an uphill battle to push his team back up the ladder.

The Bulldogs – who finished eighth this year before losing an elimination final to Fremantle – copped the second-hardest fixture of any team as well as the hardest first six rounds.

Beveridge’s side starts the year with matches against Melbourne, St Kilda, Brisbane, Richmond, Port Adelaide and Fremantle.

The Bulldogs’ six double-up opponents are fellow 2022 finalists Geelong, Richmond and Fremantle, along with Port Adelaide, Hawthorn and Greater Western Sydney.

The difficult fixture adds salt to the wounds for the Bulldogs, who were also disappointed to be shafted from their marquee Good Friday clash against North Melbourne.

Only this year’s runner-up Sydney is judged to have a harder fixture than the Bulldogs.

The team the Swans beat in this year’s preliminary final – Collingwood – has the third-hardest fixture, with Port Adelaide ranking fourth ina contract year for Power coach Ken Hinkley.

Carlton has the second-easiest fixture behind Essendon, facing only two finalists from this year twice, with those being Melbourne and Collingwood.

The Blues’ other double-up games are against Gold Coast (12th this year), St Kilda (10th), GWS (16th) and West Coast (17th).

HOME AND AWAY

Victorian sides Carlton, Collingwood, Essendon, Geelong and the Western Bulldogs will all play only six interstate matches next year – less than half as many as some interstate teams.

With the extraGather Round in South Australiabeing added to the fixture next year, the Gold Coast Suns will play 13 of their 23 games outside of Queensland.

Two of those are home games which the club will play at Darwin’s TIO Stadium in May and June.

Fellow expansion side GWS will play only eight games at Giants Stadium next season among a total of nine games in Sydney.

The Giants have three other home games scheduled for Canberra’s Manuka Oval as part of a deal with the ACT government which was recently extended for 10 years.

SHORT BREAKS

Collingwood is set to face fresher opponents in a whopping 10 of its first 13 games next year, in what is an interesting fixture quirk.

The Magpies will have had one day fewer than their opponents to prepare for eight of those matches and two fewer days than their opponents in two other matches.

Collingwood will have a longer break than its opponent for just two matches in the early part of the year, while it will be coming off the same break as an opponent just once.

Richmond, St Kilda, Hawthorn and Essendon each face seven opponents who will be coming off a longer break in their first 13 games.

On the flip side, Carlton will enter eight of its first 13 games having enjoyed a longer break than its opponent.

1 Like

Ummm, we arrived at that destination years ago.

1 Like

Think the clubs media team is awesome, I mean the latest Christmas article on the website has the following:

• Interviews with Brad Scott, Zach Merrit and Sam Draper

Can’t even spell the possible future captains name right!!

2 Likes

I wonder if geelong, or sydney or richmond sit there and go…
geez this draw is a bit tough, I don’t think it’s fair, oh no’s the sky is falling cos we have to play a couple of tougher opponents twice.

altho i guess clubs who generally don’t need a softer draw to help scrap them into finals every second odd year pay minimal attention to stuff like this and back themselves in that they can win anytime, anyplace and anywhere.

I live in hope one day this club gets back to that thinking, instead of being scared of a bit of paper that says who you have to play.

Some wacky way to fix it all would be to have a 20 team competition and play 19 fixtures each year on an away/home alternating basis and have some sort of finals playoff/draft pick round robin to account for the additional weeks of games.

There are arguments for further diluting the talent pool across the country by adding in a further two teams but another wacky way to combat this could be reduce list sizes and play with 16 on the field.

P.S. Nino isn’t the club.

7 Likes

Wow…that’s not just a long bow you’ve drawn…that’s one of the longest bows ever.

You post as if the club has been moaning about the draw when, in fact, it appears your evidence is the moanings of a number of posters in a thread on a fan forum.

I know you have a propensity to drink from the half empty cup…but this is really taking it to the extreme.

3 Likes

How have these preseason predictions of tough/easy compared to the end of season results?

1 Like

The fairest way of doing it is each ‘blockbuster/derby’ double up is locked in for 18 years, and everything else is random. Once you randomly draw the double ups, you then figure out how to fit it all in across the season, working around any blockbusters you have.

Anything else is effectively deliberately skewing the results to favour some teams. Its creating a deliberate bias. We should call AFL the ‘handicap’ football league.

The current system screws everyone except those who missed the eight last year and think they can challenge this year.

Is this the first time we haven’t had an interstate trip in the first 2 rounds, for 20 years?

You mean other than 2022, 2014, 2012, 2010, 2008, 2005 and 2002? If so, yes.

3 Likes

we didnt play interstate till round 9 in 2022

Well they do. Richmond burst into tears when forced to play a home game at Marvel. Geelong burst into tears if no final at Cattery… So yes, they do…

2 Likes