The 2023 fix(ture) is in

Unless I’m informed otherwise, I can’t think of any other reason that the draft was last week other than to keep footy in the news during the World Cup

People can say it was due to not wanting to stress the draftees out during year 12 exams but we all know that’s a pisstake

2 Likes

How ignorant on their part. As if round 1 fixture is going to garner attention away from Australia’s world cup game.

They always need headlines ticking over.

I still remember the early 1990s where you’d be lucky to get a paragraph or two a day about the VFL/AFL in The Sun this time of year.

2 Likes

2021 against the Hawks at Marvel. Was our home game.

They beat us by a point after we gave up a 30+ point lead.

1 Like

Whens the rest of this fixture coming out?

Until we start being a competitive force again (hopefully), our block buster game status with just remain as ANZAC day and Dreamtime.
Hardly think we’ll get much in the way of Friday or Saturday nights next year.
We better however, get a reduction on interstate games and play the WCE in Melbourne!!!

West Coast at the G fark Marvel

1 Like

We’ll only start playing the Eagles in Melbourne again when they are decent to totally wipe out any advantage we might have. Guaranteed.

I want a 10 goal win against Hawks make a statement Essendon

2 Likes

It was exactly the same week a year ago. Nothing to see here.

1 Like

I’ll take for the first 6 weeks pls:
Hawks at the G
North at Marvel
WCE at Marvel
GC at Metricon
Coll at the G
GWS at Marvel

What we’ll probably get:
Hawks at the G
Swans at SCG
Melbourne at the G
Lions at the Gabba
Coll at the G
Cats at GMHBA

4 Likes

At 6am which is the exact same time the Socceroos kicked off?
I’m looking forward to the 6am release of round 2 next Sunday already

1 Like

No I meant the draft timing. Earlier in the week.

Must have been trying to derail the cricket last summer

Oh, yes.
No problems with the draft timings etc but I just found this morning’s announcement was just petty and reflected badly on them

1 Like

My gut feel is it wasn’t nastily deliberate. Suspect they always begin leaking tit bits a week out from release. They probably didn’t think they’d get through and just went anyway.

The full fixture, with the first 15 rounds plus rounds, match-ups and locations for the rest of the season, will be released next week.

Well. Looks like Philipou got his wish in playing in the big games.

Will be a massive game. “Ross The Boss” up against his former BIG club.

They’ll be 25k there…

It’s been that date, give or take a week, for years. Nothing to do with the World Cup.
The only exception was 2020 where it was delayed a couple of weeks due to covid

1 Like