The Beer Thread

Just finished bottling a ginger beer. Maaaate it's terrific fresh and flat straight out of the tap. Could knock it back all day at this time of year, let alone in summer. Kept the last litre and a half to chug away now. Surely ginger beer has got to be one of the healthiest things you can drink.

2 kilos fresh grated ginger, 2 kilos lactose, 27.5 litre batch, champagne yeast.

For the fermentable I used 3 kg of honey, but next time I’ll save some moulah and go with brown sugar. As expected the honey all fermented out and no honey taste left. Not that it matters!

Yep, can’t possible think of a dozen or so things that would be better for your health!

You mean like a coconut water cider?

https://youtu.be/0fI9YCO5src
That's cool, Tezza. Have they started brewing in the new building yet?
https://youtu.be/0fI9YCO5src
That's cool, Tezza. Have they started brewing in the new building yet?
Not yet, pretty soon hopefully
If they would like to make a Bombers branded craft beer though I'd happily consult (free of charge) on recipe design :)
Zebba said this this morning in the ASAGA thread, now I can't stop thinking about Bombers branded craft beer. If we had a Bombers beer, what kind of beer should it be?

I think it would need to represent the red and black. Stone Brew Co. out of California made “Master of Disguise” which is a stout that looks like a blonde ale. It messes with your senses. Bombers Beer should be a stout (black) that looks like an amber ale or a cherry lambic (red). High in ABV, big on rich flavour, like our strong rich club history.

What do you think Bombers Beer should be?

Well. it should certainly have “substance” *cough.

If they would like to make a Bombers branded craft beer though I'd happily consult (free of charge) on recipe design :)
Zebba said this this morning in the ASAGA thread, now I can't stop thinking about Bombers branded craft beer. If we had a Bombers beer, what kind of beer should it be?

I think it would need to represent the red and black. Stone Brew Co. out of California made “Master of Disguise” which is a stout that looks like a blonde ale. It messes with your senses. Bombers Beer should be a stout (black) that looks like an amber ale or a cherry lambic (red). High in ABV, big on rich flavour, like our strong rich club history.

What do you think Bombers Beer should be?

Something that looks fantastic on the shelf, but goes off after about 2 months.

So I heard that the Kooinda brewery in Heidelberg West has changed hands. And there’s a current shortage of American Pale Ale. Does anyone know if they have changed their recipes? Is their American Pale Ale as we know it Kaput? Any goss?

^^ love the Beechworth pale ale.
Where are you getting it from? - I haven't been able to get it in Bris

Dan Murphys has usually got it. At Chermside.

But no matter how many times I ask them to get Trumer Pils they say they’ve never heard of it!!!

I know this is the brewers place, but has anyone tried making cheese?

Wifey loves it, and thought it’d be a bit of fun to try and make.

Your wife loves a bit of cheese eh?
Glad none of us here have filthy minds otherwise there would probably be some innuendo made here.

Local (Varsity Lakes) Dan Murphys usually has it.

So I heard that the Kooinda brewery in Heidelberg West has changed hands. And there's a current shortage of American Pale Ale. Does anyone know if they have changed their recipes? Is their American Pale Ale as we know it Kaput? Any goss?

Sorry for the late reply. Yes they have changed hands. All the 5 original guys (i was the 5th) have moved on. And yes they have changed the orginial Pale Ale recipe for better or for worst i’ll let you decide? Black IPA is still the same as far as i know. 4 of my high school mate started it in a shed in Rosanna, then i brought in circa 2010-2011 and we moved into the Culverlands St factory.

Ive had one of these kist from these guys before - http://cheeselinks.com.au/kitscheesemaking.html
Kits are great. Easy to use and easy instructions. Its time consuming process but very rewarding at the end. Good luck.

Picked up two bottles of the new mountain goat cross breed. Haven't tried it yet but looking forward to it. Perhaps tomorrow arvo.

Also got a bottle of the Sierra Nevada seasonal beer "southern hemisphere harvest". Shared a bottle last Friday night and it was pretty good. Nice and hoppy.

Yeah sierra is noice beer aye

yep you can get cheap cans of that at my local

swoitas

yep cheese and butter, suprisingly easy to make especially your ricottas and bocanccinis

cant go past past some herb’d butter either

give these guys a go:

www.cheeselinks.com.au/

The Squires’ seasonal that’s out now, Hop Thief, is far better than it has any right to be
Getting it at $50-55 / slab at Dan’s.

Re: Kooinda (sorry, I can’t seem to quote right now), is Mick still there as the last remaining original, or has he moved on also? How are the new beers they’ve brought out with the new crew: the XPA, the Half Nelson etc?

I’m overseas but I fully enjoyed Kooinda beers last time I was back there, when it was still the old stuff.

The Squires' seasonal that's out now, Hop Thief, is far better than it has any right to be Getting it at $50-55 / slab at Dan's.

Yes it’s ■■■■■■ good