The Beer Thread

So I heard that the Kooinda brewery in Heidelberg West has changed hands. And there's a current shortage of American Pale Ale. Does anyone know if they have changed their recipes? Is their American Pale Ale as we know it Kaput? Any goss?

Sorry for the late reply. Yes they have changed hands. All the 5 original guys (i was the 5th) have moved on. And yes they have changed the orginial Pale Ale recipe for better or for worst i’ll let you decide? Black IPA is still the same as far as i know. 4 of my high school mate started it in a shed in Rosanna, then i brought in circa 2010-2011 and we moved into the Culverlands St factory.

Fanks for the info!!

This ones going ok. Don’t usually buy beers with stupid names. It’s got big hops, and a big after taste which I can’t put my finger in.

^^ yeah shes hoppy that baby. They also do another one called ‘Hassle Hop’ in small batches. 5 different hops, picked up the gold medal at the 2013 , 2014 and just now in 2015 World Beer Championships!

Yeah, I’ve seen / tasted enough from this one that I would try some of their other stuff

Tried San Miguel flavoured beers on Friday night. They do a lemon and an apple. Both are light and refreshing, and the flavours are clear and clean, whihc was a bit of a surprise. Only 3 % so you could drink a lot of these without doing too much damage.

Flavoured beers CJ?? … I’d say the damage had already been done.

Fuken Hipsters!!

^^ love the Beechworth pale ale.
Where are you getting it from? - I haven't been able to get it in Bris

My wife’s parents live in Beechworth (a mere half hour drive away)… 6 pack of the pale ale every Christmas, which usually gets consumed before tea on day 1 of the Boxing Day test at the latest.

If you are ever up in NE Victoria - definitely go to the brewery for a taste. Also go to Beechworth Honey, and then get a Beesting from the Beechworth Bakery.

And message me. I’ll come for a beer.

Tried San Miguel flavoured beers on Friday night. They do a lemon and an apple. Both are light and refreshing, and the flavours are clear and clean, whihc was a bit of a surprise. Only 3 % so you could drink a lot of these without doing too much damage.
I hope one of my friends did the right thing if they ever saw me drinking a shandy with cordial.
I hope one of my friends did the right thing if they ever saw me drinking a shandy with cordial.

It’s unmarked grave, cut out of photos, never-speak-the-name-again territory, no doubt.

CJ, couldn’t you have admitted to liking snuff or Two and a Half Men or something? Jeezus christ. I’m embarrassed for you.

I know this is the brewers place, but has anyone tried making cheese?

Wifey loves it, and thought it’d be a bit of fun to try and make.

yep cheese and butter, suprisingly easy to make especially your ricottas and bocanccinis

cant go past past some herb’d butter either

give these guys a go:

www.cheeselinks.com.au/

We did a class with these guys (feta and haloumi). Was pretty simple if you’ve got the ingredients. Haven’t made itcsince but Willi g too.
Re: Kooinda (sorry, I can't seem to quote right now), is Mick still there as the last remaining original, or has he moved on also? How are the new beers they've brought out with the new crew: the XPA, the Half Nelson etc?

I’m overseas but I fully enjoyed Kooinda beers last time I was back there, when it was still the old stuff.

Nope Mick’s gone as well. No idea on the new beers as i havnt tasted them for some time now.

Asahi just acquired Mountain Goat Beer yesterday. Their Steam Ale is very good. Hopefully no changes will be made.

Asahi just acquired Mountain Goat Beer yesterday. Their Steam Ale is very good. Hopefully no changes will be made.
I was hoping this might see them here in Japan, but that doesn't appear to be what it's about. I really wanted to try their barleywine that just won the big prize at the AIBAs but haven't been back in Oz of late.

Tried this

Very dry, very hoppy. At 46 IBUs its up there.

Tonight’s drop. New Zealand beer kicking butt again.

Went here on the weekend - newsteadbrewing.com.au/

Had the Golden Ale, Amber Ale and the Porter. All very good - can’t wait to get back there and try more of their range.

Brisbane people - I highly recommend a visit.

Incoming! - it’s worth the drive

Had some 2 birds golden ale at a function in Ascot Vale a few weeks ago very nice

Red Horse.
Get on it.

Terrible afternoon yesterday, Stone n Wood rocked up to my brothers friends industrial lot at Miami with a converted Jeep housing kegs/taps of Pacific Ale, Cloud Catcher, Garden Ale and Lager. Plus a smokehouse BBQ food truck , surf movies and a few bands.

Cloud Catcher is maybe one the best unfiltered beers I’ve ever tasted. Balls deep fruity and but not over hopped. If you see it, try it.