The Beer Thread

Thoughts on the Wild Yak Pacific Ale?

Big debates up here about if ‘Pacific Ale’ is style of beer, or a brand of Stone N Woods.
Wild Yaks version is good, not sure about ‘better’.
Burleigh Brewing just released their ‘Twisted Palm’ beer in similar style, but called it a ‘Tropical Pale Ale,’ , rather than steal Stone N Woods ‘Pacifc Ale’ brand name.

Unfortunately SnW lost the court case to claim Wild Yak was stealing their brand. But I can't see why WY couldn't just think of a different name in the first place. I don't really see it as a style of beer.
Thoughts on the Wild Yak Pacific Ale?

Big debates up here about if ‘Pacific Ale’ is style of beer, or a brand of Stone N Woods.
Wild Yaks version is good, not sure about ‘better’.
Burleigh Brewing just released their ‘Twisted Palm’ beer in similar style, but called it a ‘Tropical Pale Ale,’ , rather than steal Stone N Woods ‘Pacifc Ale’ brand name.

Unfortunately SnW lost the court case to claim Wild Yak was stealing their brand. But I can't see why WY couldn't just think of a different name in the first place. I don't really see it as a style of beer.

yeah some people are ‘boycotting’ Wild Yak simple on that basis. bit of an overreaction. IMO the style is more ‘Australian Style Pale Ale’.

Maybe the nicest beer I have ever had. Was drinking this at Disneyland last month in a small bar I found tucked up the back of the Adventure Park.

What’s a white IPA? I know a black IPA has roasted barley in it, but what kind of malt is white??

According to the interwebs: At the most basic level a White IPA is a beer that mixes the hop-character and brewing techniques of an India Pale Ale with the wheat base and spice additions of Belgian wit beer.

A basic definition would be:
strong hop character - similar to ipa
wheat / wit grainbill-
essentially a mashup (beer pun) of wit and ipa, lighter malts with strong hops

According to the interwebs: At the most basic level a White IPA is a beer that mixes the hop-character and brewing techniques of an India Pale Ale with the wheat base and spice additions of Belgian wit beer.

A basic definition would be:
strong hop character - similar to ipa
wheat / wit grainbill-
essentially a mashup (beer pun) of wit and ipa, lighter malts with strong hops

Weißbier in german translates to White Beer. Could have something to do with the name.
To me it sounds like a wheat beer with IPA hops. But perhaps bottom fermented.

Thanks. My mind is once again at peace in the world of beer. Sounds good. I need to prüfen mich selber out etwas wits und Weißs. Yummmmy.

Rickards Red.
Guaranteed to wake up the next morning feeling really dusty- but it’s almost worth it. A great Vancouver tradition.

http://blackhops.com.au/craft-beer-prices/

Great breakdown of the costs associated with making beer for a small brewery in Oz.

Sheesh, that motherfarking excise tax.

Went to Tallboy and Moose in South Preston the other night.

Massive warehouse, must be about 8-9 brews on tap. Each one I had was really good, and not too pricey (hello Carwyn cellars).

They also have the ability to can your beer into 1L-8L cans for take away.

Will be back.

8L cans?! Is that a typo?

8L cans?! Is that a typo?

Well, they def do 1L cans. I’m preeeeety sure they do up to 8L, but I guess that’s some kind of mini keg.

Guess I’ll just have to finback and have another look…

Yeah it’d have to be sealed in some way. I checked their website and 1L crowlers seems to be their thing.

Sons Brewery just made a qantas ad. He’s the good looking one with the beard

Love this one, gulped a few down after cooking a BBQ last night. I don’t recall a bad brew from this mob, which is great because they’re in most bottle shops.

Coopers’ bible values getting them some backlash with this new ad campaign:

Some further commentary from Ale Of A Time blog:

Yikes. The Old Bar in Fitzroy is one place that has already pulled Coopers as a result of this. More likely to follow and social media outrage is gaining traction. Does this affect whether or not you buy a Coopers in the future?

Won’t go down too well in the local hood.

Haven’t drunk it for a while as there’s much better beers out there, and some of the stuff they’ve brought out recently is pretty ■■■■.

But, based on their gay marriage stance I’d decline

Yeah, being o/s I have to go out of my way to find it already, so I don’t have to make that choice.

I wonder why they thought such a campaign would work? Ingratiating themselves to the large sector of everyday macro-swilling right-wingers, at the expense of losing favour with the inner-city lefty hipsters who’ve already ditched them for local craft beer?

Was it Bond or Packer that bought XXXX? That turned off drinkers in Qld at the time.

And other than the lack of beard, fixy, and skinny jeans, I’m probably a lefty hipster

1 Like

The obvious answer to that is that their management/owners sincerely believe this stuff.

I suspect other Melb pubs will follow the Old Bar’s example - this sort of thing doesn’t win any friends in St Kilda/Fitzroy/Northcote publand. But if Coopers earn more through outer-suburb RSLs and/or bottleshop sales they might not even notice or care.

1 Like

@Tezza_the_King this is your boy’s brewery, yeah?