The Beer Thread

Yeah super proud of all of them, but specially my son. Great article. They are killing it

3 Likes

Too long to post the whole article, but Bellcho talks a bit about getting into craft beer during his year off, as brand ambassador for Colonial teaming with the Bombers.

Taking a break from home brewing at the moment, too many things going on, I’m really digging Priate life beers at the moment. Their Pale is ace. Also they make a really neat mid strength IPA, didn think that was possible. I got both from Dan murphy’s . check it out the pale is really nice. Im becomming quite partial to anything with mosaic hops at the moment

hahaha

https://www.facebook.com/cooksuck/photos/a.220479764710835.49576.181423001949845/1445158575576275/?type=3

Been drinking some fantastic beers here in Vancouver Island .

Philips Blue Buck Ale.

1 Like

Beer loving Gentlemen, … and/or Ladies, … there’s something I need to share.

I had always been a 32 waist, and in the past decade had to go to a 34, … (it’s the stupid way they size things these days,… you know … :wink: ), anyway, 3 weeks ago I burst the button on a pair of 34 work dacks, and bought 2 more of exactly the same brand & size, . neither of which it turned out, I had a prayer of getting anywhere near done up … :frowning:

Christ I thought,!! … wtf is going on here??

Cue the switch to low carb beer, and 3 weeks later, they fit as they always did, … & I swear, I changed nothing else in diet or lifestyle.

I think there might be something in that for a lot of us.

Pro tip: If they start to taste just a bit shitt, … add a slice of Lime or Lemon Cerveza style.

You’re welcome.

2 Likes

Growlers in the US are a much cheaper alternative.

Growlers in Australia are a way more expensive alternative.

Why is it so?

I think the growlers are mainly manufactured in the US, so we have to add cost of frieght?? Could be wrong there, also the the fact bottles still need to be washed and sterilised before refill is partially to do with it. If you look at the volume of beer too, its usually comparable to what the cost of a six pack is at the bottle shop for the same type of beer. Most breweries are leaning toward cans these days. better way to go , cheaper and longer shelf life, much better for the beer, Growlers can go flat in a few weeks or so

I’d say you wanna drink a growler within a few days, it’s degrading from the time it comes out of the tap. Or do they have pressure sealed ways of transferring it? But yeah, growler fills are much more a thing in the US. Canimals (one litre tinnies) are a great option for takeaways. My friend brought some back from Great Notion in Portland, they were fresh and spot on.

I bought back an empty growler from the US, so no freight or cleaning costs for the locals.

It would cost maybe $8 or less for a refill in the US but about $28 here.

And as mrjez says, you have to drink them soon.

I’d rather go for a jog twice a week and drink good ■■■■.

Unfortunately for you, Low carb beer is just marketing BS. firstly, no normal beer that does not claim low carb, will not have any nutrional information to compare beer claiming to be low carb, which has a nutrional label… check it out next time your at the bottlo.

And if you do find it, you will find it will be such a slim margin, you will feel you are wasting your time.

Reason for this, is that all the Carbohydrates (sugar you put in beer in the brewing process) gets turned into HydroCarbons aka Alcohol any way, beer does not have much sugar… only a small amount left from brewing… depending on the process… but…

Alcohol has the highest energy output per gram of food consumed by humans. (% of alcohol is a better indicator of energy) Saturated Fat is second and refined carbohydrates like white sugar are 3rd. The body deals with them all differently…

But, the point is… you have been hoodwinked, low carb beer is like, low fat sugar… only disguised better.

1 Like

Heh, I’ve won a trivia quiz on “does vodka have any calories”?

It was very hard not to point and Ha-Ha and loudly exclaim they were a moron after they gave the wrong answer.

Well, the difference is 80% from a normal beer, 9 grams, to 2 grams, and although that doesn’t sound a lot, I can only say that from my empirical experience it made a substantial difference.

So, cheers, and all that, but as long as it continues to work as it has, then during the low activity shorter colder days, it will remain the Winter tipple from here out.

Edit: Low carb beer generally contains one third the amount of calories of a full strength beer.

“Health concerns about beer relate to its alcohol content, not its very modest carb content.
It’s the alcohol that contributes the kilojoules, at a rate of 29 kilojoules per gram”
– Leading nutritionist Dr Rosemary Stanton OAM –

Because, if you’re trying to watch your sugar intake and lose weight, you should probably know that alcohol affects your body’s ability to metabolise kilojoules you’ve consumed from foods or from your stored fat. You see, when you drink beer, your liver produces acetate from the alcohol, and that energy source is given precedence over anything else, especially fat.

http://beertheobvioustruth.com/

Isnt Jennifer Jeffries a naturopath? who has no official credentials in Diet? Dr Stanton is from a bricks and mortar university.

I drink beer all the time… but, yeh… why bother with the low carb tasteless stuff… when you can drink the real deal for minimal difference in sugar lvls… after 4 beers at most with a beer that has not converted all the sugar, your talking maybe 12 grams of sugar over your low carb… but thats being generous of allowing 3 grams, most i have seen are barely 1 gram difference… thats nothing. And then you have to consider that alcohol % which if higher in a low carb beer of say 4.6% compared to a low fullstrngth of %4 all those energy savings are gone… not worth the time.
If you like getting drunk and want low carb… drink straight vodka. or add a shot to your VB so you drink less. true low carb.

After some further investigations, I think she had that ars about. A low carb beer, with a touch lower 4.2 % ABV,(what this blonde is) is often at least a third LESS calories/kJ’s than a full strength of the likes of VB, and can be as much as almost half the amount, eg,. 180 FS, 100 low carb.

It’s still not heaps, but it’s not to be sneezed at either.

Also, wondered, (on the back of this latest report on "Brown Fat & “White Fat” ) if there might be something else going on with the chemistry, and how it effects your metabolism etc,or maybe appetite?? because something about it definitely made a difference.

Whoa $28 way too high!

Pirate life make a pretty amazingly tasty mid strength IPA. Seriously tasty, not an every day beer for me, (I like the alcohol bit too) but if I was going to a barbecue (and designated driver) and, I didn’t want to drink soft drink, water or horribly watery tasteless other lite beer, I would definitely grab a four pack of these

1 Like

Pirate Life are great. I haven’t been home for a bit, but last visit had lots of Pale Ale and IIPA, both excellent. Keen to try their stout and Mosaic IPA later in the year. Great name and image too.

1 Like

Has anyone tried one of these?