The Beer Thread

Sadly, no. It’s out of my price and geographic range, unlike mrjez ^.

1 Like

Yabai Yabai Scotch Ale - another superb beer from Baird Beer. @Gnik @BAAKKEERRRR - if u blokes are keen on craft beer, Baird is worth checking out. :wink:

3 Likes

Yum, thanks for the tip - i’l keep an eye out for it.

I do like a good scotch ale. Red Hill do a nice one. Will be scoping for Baird now.

2 Likes

Dan Murphy’s sometimes stocks the regular Baird range. At least when I was last back home.

My social circle here in Japan is made up of expats from many countries, so when the summer break comes round and they all head to their homelands they always come back with great beer to share. As the only Aussie it’s easy for me to offer stuff they haven’t tried, and voila! Next thing you know we’re all sharing and someone’s pouring me a Westvleteren.

4 Likes

Been dropping into Far Side Beers near Swinburne a bit lately when I am in the area. Amazing selection of craft beers. Selected beers on tap are rotated weekly. They never fail to hit the spot. Had a Nail VPA there on Friday night.

My go to Craft beer lately is Sauce Bubble and Squeak made by the partner of an acquaintance of mine in Sydney. Its a ripper.

3 Likes

It took me a long time to get into IPA’s. Now I love them. Will keep an eye out for Sauce.

@mrjez- I’ve started following your beer mate. Man he’s tried some brews.

Edit: oops it was @Mex. Sorry dude.

2 Likes

Haha, no problem. Some of my friends’ lists are
ridiculous. Thousands of reviews on Ratebeer or check ins on Untappd.

New England IPAs are all the rage. Some are ace, some aren’t, but I’ll have to check for Sauce B&S next time I’m back. I loved Hop Nation Jedi Juice last time.

1 Like

Sauce and Batch are great Sydney craft Brewers.

Both I think from Marrickville. Its a worthy stop over for beer lovers for example after one of our Sydney matches next year.

1 Like

Then drop in to see Tezza’s son at Grifter, and the excellent blends at Wildflower. I’d love to check it all out someday soon.

We tried a fair few last night too.

He wants to start a bit of a craft beer appreciation group. 4 or 5 of us to meet monthly at each others houses and have a beer of choice for the session.

2 Likes

Brilliant idea. One of my best mates started one in his home town. I think they had 10 members and they just clicked over 18 years. There’s a waiting list for mates that want to join. In the end there was even a rival beer club. I always thought they would end up having a rumble Anchorman style.

1 Like

:rofl: I can imagine that actually

1 Like

Likewise I’ll keep an eye out. Sadly in dragging a six-year old around, I haven’t yet managed much more than the odd half-pint of Kirin with a Ramen

If you just wanna grab some beers to kick back in your hotel room with, try a google maps search for Seijo Ishii. It’s an import food supermarket chain, heaps of locations and they usually have a fair range of local bottles and cans.

500ml can though. They aren’t the most expensive though. I’ve paid a small fortune for 355ml Dainton cans.

1 Like

Not to mention the new Stockade barrel room which is around the corner from Sauce.

Go for the Hop Nation “The Dawn” Double NEIPA. The Mornington Pen Squid series are great as well. Jiffy Squid, Squid Rising and Squid Supremacy.

1 Like

Cheers, good to know!