The Beer Thread

It’s not the same beer. I saw it on tap at my local that’s contracted nearly all 11 taps to lion and ordered a pint. It was absolute cat ■■■■, so I put some questions to some relevant people and I was told that the keg product is no longer made by Balter.

4 Likes

Im pretty sure CUB own the brewery now. Ive had poor ones here, that I can confidently blame on tap hygene. But todays was quite good. It was either that, great northern or Carlton draught. Im happy with my choice.

1 Like

Was in Noosa last week, really enjoyed ‘Eumundi Refreshing Lager’ on tap.

1 Like

Yeah it’s owned by CUB, who are owned by Asahi, who are now brewing all the XPA in keg.

1 Like

I should probably like this but I’m disappointed. 8 Wired do some good beer but this isn’t one of them

3 Likes

What’s Mountain Goat’s relationship with Asahi these days, still the same as before?

Asahi do a decent job with Urquell in cans for the Japan market. It’s the beer I drink more than any other these past few years.

2 Likes

Yeah. More or less. CUB had a branch/venture fund for investing in craft breweries, where as Asahi was more direct. After Asahi purchased CUB it restructured the craft branch of CUB to oversee all Asahi craft ventures. So now Mountain Goat sits within Fire and Earth as it’s called, along with Four pines, Pirate life, Balter, Green beacon and Matilda bay.

3 Likes

I’d like to know why Great Northern is the main beer at the footy now with 4 Pines as the "craft"option. Given they’re all owned by CUB/Asahi why don’t they still sell Carlton Draught or sell Asahi; anything is better than what they’re currently serving up. The situation is that dire that I bought a Jim Beam and Cola the other day.

4 Likes

Is it around the alcohol % with northern taking over as the mid of choice from carlton mid?

Dunno it’s weird, they still happily sell 5% mixed drinks, 12% wine etc. Why sell watered down beer?

2 Likes

You are right makes no sense.

I’ve given up drinking at the games now, overpriced dog ■■■■ mid strength beers served in plastic cups. I realised one day I get virtually no enjoyment from the experience at all

2 Likes

See my post in Wim’s bar thread for a pre game drink option. $8 for a happy hour stubby of Boag’s (also Furphy but I don’t rate that stuff)

1 Like

It’s related to std drinks. For example the MCG bars sell a Mountain goat gin and soda can that’s 5% in a 250ml can which makes it 1 std drink. I’d imagine a great northern in the plastic cup they sell them in is equivalent to 1 std drink. Std drinks is based on grams of alcohol in the drink.

2 Likes

That makes total sense now you have said it.

My old man has recently been diagnosed with diabetes and has had to switch to wine at the footy instead of beer. The glass of wine he gets is about one mouthful.

1 Like

Is this worth the price of admission? (It’s too late anyway, I bought one)

2 Likes

I would have said yes.

1 Like

I’d hate every one of those beers. $114 would get me around 50 better ones.

1 Like

IMG_4085

3 Likes

I’d happily drink Asahi before any IPA. Used to love a Vic Bitter but in about 1990 they decided to move the branding message to “VB”. Then they changed the recipe and didn’t manage the resultant exodus very well.

4 Likes

Son in law and his business partner run a small distribution business along with making their own gin and vodka. They get sent beers from all over to try and see if they can push them. He gave me a beer from Phillip Island on the weekend, a double red? ,or something like that but the can got thrown out! It wasn’t a bad drop.

1 Like