The Beer Thread

Amy Winehouse meets the B52s.

My first home brew of Cooper's Stout has been produced and I have to say it was quite successful. Straight forward process with holding off from brewing in the hot weather being a good move.  It has already improved after an extra week in the bottle.

I appreciate this is not earth shattering news but I'm quietly proud of myself!

1 Like

my first home brew was a massive success

The second one tasted like off cats ■■■■. fast ferment and not enough attention paid to cleanliness.

Enjoying this on the train to Budapest.

That there is a damn fine brew. May go and hunt some down in a few minutes.

Just picked up 8 craft beers from First Choice for $19

Beers are:

Sierra Nevada - Pale Ale

James Squires - Pilsner

Hawthorne - Pale Ale

Balmain - Pilsner

Steamrail - Pale Ale

Little Creatures - Pilsner

Mountain Goat - Hightail Ale

Coopers - Celebration Ale

They’re not trying to label them as craft beers are they?

my first home brew was a massive success

The second one tasted like off cats ■■■■. fast ferment and not enough attention paid to cleanliness.

Hygiene is paramount, unscented napisan is great, I use the Coles brand and a no rinse sanitiser. Don't use dish soap to clean, trust me it ruins the beer. Temperature control is very important, ales should be around 20c (lagers 12c) all the time otherwise undesirable tastes start to come out. Lastly, don't be in a rush to bottle it, the longer you leave it, the cleaner and tastier it will be, I wait a minimum of 2 weeks.

Really like the 4 Pines range. This ones a bit bigger than most, very tasty tho.

Got taken out during the week for a few brewskies. Local stuff called Harbin. Like sex in a canoe, farking near water. 

Weihenstephaner is brilliant on tap.

Big fan of the dunkel and the hefe

013GR-MS-BG.jpgOne of my favourites at the moment. A local brewery from out Gippsland way. At 8.5% three of these means a happy evening.

013GR-MS-BG.jpgOne of my favourites at the moment. A local brewery from out Gippsland way. At 8.5% three of these means a happy evening.

Grand Ridge also do an excellent stout (Hatlifter).  

014GR-SS-BG.jpgGive the Supershine a run - 2 stubbies will see you out. Literally out and fast asleep (but happy).

Bought a awesome beer glass from a OP shop with the words Weihenstephaner on it.
Looked it up, turned out it is oldest brewery in the world, they practically invented beer.
http://weihenstephaner.de/
Didnt know where to get it at all, walked into a first choice liquor, they have it! talk about luck. (3 for $15)..and they fit my beer glass exactly.
Love the stuff, it is a great beer and they have 5 styles, all good depending on the style of beer you want to drink.

They do the glass promos occasionally, so you should be able to complete a pair/set. Tough gig but someone's gotta do it.

best combo of my two favourite drinks yet.

10632090_845135142178436_35714142_n.jpg

Beez Neez on tap…the stubbies don’t do it justice.

I don't mind Waikato Draught from NZ. Get a feeling it's their cheap ■■■■ though

Just tried this, very nice

OBposter-C%5B1%5D.jpg

Helped Mate make a home brew. Will be ready to drink on grand final day. Good timing is only blonde as that was what came with the kit. Mangrove jacks. Have since bought a pilsner to try after my mates stout is done. But we will need more bottles. Started off with 750ml glass.

Having being inspired by Kilkennys, I have now collected the ingredients for a home brew Irish Red Ale. I'm just waiting for the Spring to kick in and I'll get it up and running and ready for summer. Thanks to the guys at the Grain and Grape in Yarraville for some really great recipe / brewing tips. 

Just picked up 8 craft beers from First Choice for $19

Beers are:

Sierra Nevada - Pale Ale

James Squires - Pilsner

Hawthorne - Pale Ale

Balmain - Pilsner

Steamrail - Pale Ale

Little Creatures - Pilsner

Mountain Goat - Hightail Ale

Coopers - Celebration Ale

When I was in Sydney I had Balmain Pils on tap. SHEEEEETTTTT. Fantastic stuff. Gotta try and find a 6 pack of it.