The Beer Thread

Used be able to buy this at Dan Murphy's, top beer

http://www.worldofbeers.com.au/by-country/canada/moosehead-lager.html

A good lager? Oxymoron?

A good lager? Oxymoron?

I do a vienna lager that is pretty ■■■■■■ awesome, if i do say so myself.

Other than that, you are correct.

Used be able to buy this at Dan Murphy's, top beer

http://www.worldofbeers.com.au/by-country/canada/moosehead-lager.html

not a fan of the lager but I don't mind their Pale Ale when i'm up in Canada way, eh.

I'm taking the leap into home brewing. I'm purchasing the Coopers Home Brewery kit and putting aside the Lager that it comes with and heading straight for the Stout. I plan to brew a couple of batches of the stout before giving the Imperial Russian Stout a run. It's a bit of a long shot as I truly won't know how the brew went until about a year down the track. 

Due to the high alcohol volume of the Imperial Russian Stout I have to use glass bottles and not the PET. Finding 750ml reusable glass bottles looks a bit trick without getting ripped off. Any brewers out there with tips for me (brewing and where to buy glass bottles)?

cleanliness is next to godliness

Yep its all about how clean the gear is to start with.
On the bottles, when I started brewing I sent the message out to my mates to drink long necks for a few weeks. Got the collection up in no time!

The problem is that the current bottles are quite thin and are designed for one use only.

I'd avoid high ABV such as that RIS until you had fermentation temperature control - a fridge with digital thermostat. Big ABV + high fermentation temps = awful beer, headaches, etc, etc...

Thanks, you are the 2nd person to tell me to watch out for temperature control when brewing a high alcohol content beer. I'll have to have a think about it while I perfect the basic stout home brew. 

I'd avoid high ABV such as that RIS until you had fermentation temperature control - a fridge with digital thermostat. Big ABV + high fermentation temps = awful beer, headaches, etc, etc...

Thanks, you are the 2nd person to tell me to watch out for temperature control when brewing a high alcohol content beer. I'll have to have a think about it while I perfect the basic stout home brew. 

Really can't stress it enough, indeed, for all beer. My beer was hit and miss, then one day i scored a free brew fridge off a mate of fellow blitzer Fents and my beer improved 10 fold.

The two most important factors are cleanliness and yeast management, and the most important aspect of yeast management is temperature control. Most people that thinks keeping the yeast warm, but it's not. Warm yeast throw off more methanol, butanol, propanol, etc - the stuff that gives you headaches (and if you want to get into distilling (illegal!!) makes you go blind).

Look around on gumtree you can find fridges cheap/free. Then a $30 digital thermostat and you're set. It's an investment though.

In the absence of a fridge, I used to put my fermenter in the laundry sink and i'd swap in some ice bottles morning/night, cover it with damp towels, etc. Nowhere near as good/flexible as a controllable fridge, but even that simple thing made a massive difference in beer quality.

I know of other brewers who wrap ice bottles and what not up in an old doonah, sleeping bag, etc. Heaps of options when starting out...

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions

I'm taking the leap into home brewing. I'm purchasing the Coopers Home Brewery kit and putting aside the Lager that it comes with and heading straight for the Stout. I plan to brew a couple of batches of the stout before giving the Imperial Russian Stout a run. It's a bit of a long shot as I truly won't know how the brew went until about a year down the track. 

Due to the high alcohol volume of the Imperial Russian Stout I have to use glass bottles and not the PET. Finding 750ml reusable glass bottles looks a bit trick without getting ripped off. Any brewers out there with tips for me (brewing and where to buy glass bottles)?

My mate does this and he works at a brewery so he's going to ask if he can buy the bottles off them. I wonder if you could do that or find the supplier?

Really can't stress it enough, indeed, for all beer. My beer was hit and miss, then one day i scored a free brew fridge off a mate of fellow blitzer Fents and my beer improved 10 fold.

The two most important factors are cleanliness and yeast management, and the most important aspect of yeast management is temperature control. Most people that thinks keeping the yeast warm, but it's not. Warm yeast throw off more methanol, butanol, propanol, etc - the stuff that gives you headaches (and if you want to get into distilling (illegal!!) makes you go blind).

Look around on gumtree you can find fridges cheap/free. Then a $30 digital thermostat and you're set. It's an investment though.

In the absence of a fridge, I used to put my fermenter in the laundry sink and i'd swap in some ice bottles morning/night, cover it with damp towels, etc. Nowhere near as good/flexible as a controllable fridge, but even that simple thing made a massive difference in beer quality.

I know of other brewers who wrap ice bottles and what not up in an old doonah, sleeping bag, etc. Heaps of options when starting out...

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions

Much appreciated, great advice.

On the bottle front, I know most people hate plastic but seriously, just buy the coopers PET bottles from Big W. 2 boxes of those is enough for a brew, and they'll cost less than a bench capper that won't smash every second bottle.

The coopers PET's:

- are brown, so less danger of "skunking" from UV light

- won't explode. Never happened to me, but I've seen photos...

- can be re-used for a long time. I buy new lids every once in a while from coles but i've still got bottles from 5 years ago going strong.

- don't need a capper

- are quicker to bottle with

- they don't leach much air. Some cheap plastic bottles will take oxygen in (causing spoilage) and lose pressure (flat beer). These won't.

Sure, you can't do what some masochists do and sterilise them in the oven, but there are cheaper and easier options to achieve appropriate sanitation (I recommend Iodophur or Starsan).

I had about 40 Coopers PET's, 25 champagne bottles with grolsch style swing tops, and had about 200 glass bottles. When I moved to kegs, i threw out almost all the standard glass bottles and kept the PET's. The champagne bottles are used for special brews like strong belgians, barleywines, etc.

Seriously, get coppers PET's. They are just soooo much easier.

Anyone tried the fill your own things at Dan Murphy’s? Think the usually have a heavy, a light and a cider for the hip crowd

Anyone done the "brew your own" places? I know there's one out west, you go in, pay your $x & pick what you want to brew, design a label & make it on their gear, and take home a couple of slabs worth. 

Anyone done the "brew your own" places? I know there's one out west, you go in, pay your $x & pick what you want to brew, design a label & make it on their gear, and take home a couple of slabs worth. 

I know of people who have who swear by them. Having said that, I don't have a lot of respect for the tastes of those people, but at the same time I haven't tried the product so make of that what you will. I try not to be a beer snob but being a beer snob does tend to come naturally to me :)

Certainly, what I have read about them I think you'll definitely get better beer than trying to do it yourself in a laundry without appropriate temperature control. But...

To me, brewing is a hobby. I do it because I enjoy the handyman side (building the brewery, adding new tech, building my "keezer" (keg-fridge/freezer)), and because I enjoy the artistic side of conceiving a beer that I want to make and then creating the recipe and crafting the product. I do "all-grain" brewing, meaning I buy the grains, hops, specialty yeasts and adjuncts and do the whole process. It's very, very rewarding, but also very time consuming. A tin takes 20 minutes to get it fermenting, an all-grain brew takes 4-5 hours

So if I just wanted to get cheap beer, then I would have looked into those places, but to me it's about more than just creating ethanol or saving some money.

------------------

Something I failed to mention BTW... The tinned homebrew is popular and cheap, but if you can get a FWK (fresh wort kit) from a place like Keg King (Mulgrave) or Grain and Grape (Yarraville), the beer you make from those may be a tad dearer but it will be 100x better. Due to time constraints recently I made one of these from Grain and Grape, and it was dammmnnnn good. They are about $40 for 20 litres of beer, and you just need to buy yeast.

A mate of mine, who is pretty into his beers & other drinkable what-nots (but not a full-blown home brewer) has done it a couple of times, and I've been pretty impressed with the results I've sampled. Maybe not the sort of thing for someone who's well down the line like you are, but I was thinking it'd be worth my while just to get a basic idea of the process.

A mate of mine, who is pretty into his beers & other drinkable what-nots (but not a full-blown home brewer) has done it a couple of times, and I've been pretty impressed with the results I've sampled. Maybe not the sort of thing for someone who's well down the line like you are, but I was thinking it'd be worth my while just to get a basic idea of the process.

I thought you could only do commercial mass produced brews like vb etc, but out of interest the new place in Croydon is gonna run a similar thing, but you actually book in and brew a beer that goes on one of thier taps. I was chatting to the bloke down there last week and they're going to encourage sporting clubs etc to do it as a fundraiser. Just need to convince them to get some big screens for the footy!

This!

Plus, if you go to Lord of The North barber, you get it free with your hip new style. Cut throat razor beard trims, EPIC tunes. Buuuurrp

Enjoying this on the train to Budapest.

Enjoying this on the train to Budapest.

Don't drink too much and fall asleep on the train otherwise you may finish up in the Crimea.

That is the worst hairstyle I have ever seen