The Best 22 thread

There are a few tough calls to make in this team, chiefly around the kpd posts. Is franga going to establish himself? Is hooker cooked? Can ambrose back up a big year? Will zerk come on? I reckon I can squeeze Cutler in though as the only proven genuine wingman on the list.

Saad Ambrose Hurley
Redman hooker McKenna

Hepp parish zerret
Draper Shiel McGrath

Smith JD Fanta
Tippa smack stringer

Gleeson Langford Cutler Zaha

Emerg: franga guelfi Clarke Snelling

Clarke’s position will be interesting. In that 22 you would think he’s competing with Langford and zaha though obviously he brings something different.

I’ve always preferred hepp as a defensive wingman to be honest, lets him roam around the ground being smart, zoning well and winning one on ones. I think he tends to get lost a bit under the ruck man’s feet and he isn’t agile enough.

We need to get zerret more outside the contest too where he can set us up and use his closing speed to apply pressure.

Please injury Gods, please let our forward line get some clear air next year, please

2 Likes

Haha I’ve been waiting for this. I love you @ivan

2 Likes

Gee that forward 6 is absolute top shelf. If they ever run out together it will be a pleasure to watch.

3 Likes

And the reason Daniher had to be kept becomes so obvious.

One of either Smack or JD are going to have a field day in the air if they can stay out of each others way.

1 Like

B: Redman Hooker Ambrose
HB: McKenna Hurley Saad
C: Merrett Smith McGrath
HF: Fantasia Daniher Parish
F: Tippa McKernan Stringer
R: Bellchambers Hep Shiel
INT: Gleeson Francis Langford Cutler

How long do we think it’ll take for Draper to be a legit best 22 ruckman considering he hasn’t played a game yet and coming off pretty ■■■■■■ injury?

The best 22 is getting harder with the emergence of young players and some newer recruits like Snelling and now Cutler

Rutten will be placing a big focus on fwd half pressure, so Snelling will force his way into the side. He was very impressive this year.

The role players who do what’s needed for the team as per Richmond way will get precedence. Zaka given he doesn’t run both ways, nor spread properly when on the wing might find himself out of the team. Especially with McGrath’s transition to a more inside role.

Francis could push Hurls or Ambrose out but in the short term he doesn’t have runs on board to do so IMO which will be contentious in here I know

B: Saad Hooker Hurley
HB: Gleeson Ambo McKenna
C: Cutler Heppell Guelfi
HF: Smith Daniher TIPPA
F: Fantasia Smack Stringer
R: Belly Shiel Zerrett

B: Parish McGrath Snelling Redman

Emer: Zaka Francis Mosquito Phillips

Plenty of depth who can play a role as needed. Lang, LAV, Stewart, Harts, Brown, Begley, Ridley, Dlarke, Draper (when he ready).

We badly need a mature age small defender in the draft though. Cupboard is bare.

Parish on a forward flank. Ban this man.

1 Like

Optimisticly? Mid year, maybe.

ivans just waiting for an excuse to do a best 22.

2 Likes

If that actually happens it would signify a big change at the club.

For what it’s worth I’d love to see Zaha commit to a high pressure forward role with stints on ball.

I snuck in a cheeky best forward line in the trade thread or the joe thread earlier

Yeah, I’m tired of the one way running.

I reckon blokes who apply pressure should be given priority.

As such, Snelling is an easy inclusion.

Hooker Hurley Ambrose
Gleeson Francis Saad

Merrett Parish McKenna
TBC Heppell Shiel

Smith Smack Fantasia
Stringer Daniher Walla

Redman McGrath Zaka Mozzie

Emg: Guelfi Phillips Langford Cutler

The unmentioned elephant in the room - can JoeDan COME BACK?

1 Like

Surely we couldn’t honestly line up with 5 of the 6 defenders being, essentially, talls. Seems way too unbalanced.

Richmond will most likely go:
Rance Astbury Grimes
Houli Broad Vlastuin
Short and Stack as 7th 8th

If you pressure at the half way mark of ground it’s better to go tall. I’d assume with Rutten and Caracalla the approach will be similar.

Yeah not a bad retort. It will be interesting to see whether we are capable of implementing that type of system well enough to get away with a backline similar to theirs.

1 Like

FB Saad Hurley Francis
HB Gleeson Ambrose McKenna
C Smith Heppell Merrett
HF Walla Daniher Fantasia
FF Stringer Hooker Mosquito
R Draper Parish Clarke
I McGrath Shiel Snelling Redman

That would be my side. My apologies to young Ham, who I think I might regret not fitting in, but I stuck with the intensity of Snelling.

Saad - Best small backman in the league
Hurley - Our best KP defender
Francis - The perfect skillset for 3rd tall excluding endurance. Simply must play.
Gleeson - Very smart footballer and doesn’t let you down unless lifted off his feet
Ambrose - One of the best lock down players in the game
McKenna - Superstar
Smith - On the wing because he can actually hit a target, and brings epic intensity
Heppell - Has to be in the guts somewhere in my opinion. Our big bodied mid.
Merrett - Get him out of the middle and on a wing where he can concentrate on hitting targets and doesn’t have to worry quite so much about getting concussed.
Walla - Superstar and all around great guy
Daniher - Coleman medallist 2020, fingers crossed.
Fantasia - In my opinion our best player.
Stringer - Our best 3rd tall
Hooker - My kingdom for a full forward. Hooker is by far our best option, and our backline needs to transition away from the ageing Hooker/Hurley combo. One of the best ways is to split them. Only Daniher has kicked more goals for us in a season then Hooker since Lloyd.
Mosquito - I’m channeling my inner Sheedy. Every side needs natural talent in their forward half. It comes to the fore in finals football when the heat is on. We have sweet fark all small forward options beyond Fantasia and Walla. This guy needs to play and play from round 1 in my opinion. I am a big fan of the 3 smalls in the forward 6.
Draper - I so hope he comes back ok from the injury. This guy will change the way we play the game. An aggressive and agile ruckman… oh my.
Parish - Our best inside midfielder in my opinion. A natural. Stop ■■■■■■■ about and let him run things.
Clarke - I love a tagger. I consider it a very important role. This guy makes my starting 18 as he is our best option in that role.
McGrath - Gets pushed to the bench as an inside mid rotation. Heppell with the big body, Parish with the best inside skills, and Clarke the tagger shuffle him out.
Shiel - Learn to hit a target son.
Snelling - Can play forward when we run Walla and Fanta through the mid, and can bring some Smith like intensity to the midfield if required.
Redman - Obvious inclusion. Angry, with skill. Like.

That’s my best 22.

1 Like

Best one yet!