The Best 22 thread

I think Francis has to play no matter what after that final.

2 Likes

Crikey. Really not sure which will reflect here

B: Gleeson. Hooker. Ambrose
He: Saad. Hurley. McKenna

C: McGrath. Heppell. Zerrett
R: TBell? Parish. Smith

HF: Raz. Joe. Zaka
F: Stringer. McKernan. Walla

Int: Francis. Sheil. Redman. Cutler?

Ruck is really unknown. Does Phillips start well? Does Draper come on this season? Mossie, Guelfi, Snelling, Clarke, Langford and Lav would all be pushing for places. Begley? Had a great start to his career. Still seem to be missing that Jobe type unicorn big mid that can control the clearances over and over again. Other than that it’s a good list. Most likely I’m totally wrong and some of them should be in the 22. Then we have Harts and Brown as very handy tall depth. Zerk might start putting pressure on for a spot too. Does Stewart recapture some form? VFL side should go well.

1 Like

concerns

2, 18, 26

getting older with battered bodies sadly

Yeah. Will be difficult to replace when the time comes. Some decent green shoots within the club though and always the option of bringing someone in. Dodoro can work it.

I can see it now.

We’ll be tracking well and have the team playing with great cohesion and understanding of their roles and then with 1-2 games left before finals (we hope) all of a sudden we’ll have Hepp, Stringer, and Joe all ready to come back in to the team at the exact same time.

While they are rusty AF and our system tries to re-calibrate with them in we’ll lose our way.

1 Like

If we have a more consistent best 22 thread than this massive bump?

With Kelly and McDonagh brought on to play I assume specific roles, and at least one ready to go draftee in Hobbs whose been put on notice do you think from our best 22 I this past year?

Get over ere’

we have basically turned almost over the whole list since 2015.

1 Like

AFL

B Kelly Stewart Hind
HB Redman Laverde Ridley
C Cox Stringer Durham
HF Langford Jones Perkins
F Smith Wright Snelling

Ruck Draper Parish Merrett

Bench McGrath Shiel Hepp Caldwell

Emerg Tippa Francis, Cutler, Hobbs

VFL

B Hurley BZT Brand
HB Cutler Reid Lord
C Ham Hobbs McDonagh
HF Francis Eyre Voss
FF Tippa Baldwin Hird

Rucks Bryan Guelfi xxxx

Bench McBride Phillips xxxx xxxx

Looks like we need some mids and small forwards in the SSP. We are very tall in the VFL. Shows how tall our list is.

2 Likes

My prediction. Bench on the far right.

FB : Kelly Laverde Reid

CB : Heppell Ridley Hind … Redman

C : Langford Stringer Cox … McGrath

Rk : Draper Merrett Parish … Caldwell

HF : Shiel Francis Snelling

FF : Walla Jones Wright … Smith

Emg : Perkins, Cutler, Stewart, Baldwin, Durham, Guelfi, Ham, Hobbs

Really tossing up Stewart vs Reid and Smith vs Perkins. My views on those may change depending on how preseason pans out.

7 Likes

Fair team.
Finally looks like we’re going to have lots of pressure on positions and serious depth on every line.
As with all successful teams of any sport we need one, just one, player to breakout and have a stellar season. We could have 2 or 3 but I’m talking a Martin or Gawn type year. Martin had 3 in a row.

Could Waterman play the xxxx role?

Couldn’t help myself, here goes …

Kelly Laverde Ridley

Heppell Stewart Hind

Durham Parish Cox

Snelling Jones Langford (Stringer)

Walla Wright Francis

Draper Stringer Merrett

Redman (d) Shiel (m) McGrath (m) Perkins (m/f) Caldwell (sub)

E: Smith Guelfi Reid Bryan

3 Likes

Has Smith ever not been included in our best 22 when fit? (Even when not fully fit).

I think the likelihood of him being left out of the best 22 is extremely low

1 Like

Forgot about him!

Smith is not getting pure midfield minutes before any of Parish, Merrett, Langford, Stringer, Shiel, McGrath or Caldwell. Nor wing before Cox, Langford or Durham. Truck prefers tall wingman, or at least those that can contest in the air.

Smith is now just a small pressure forward, and is behind Walla and Snelling for these positions.

If anything, he is competing with Perkins for a spot in our best 22. I know who I would rather getting game time moving forward.

Of course the reality is the chances of all the above mentioned all being fit and healthy in the same round is close to zero, so Smith will play nearly every week he is available. He certainly played some good games towards the end of the year but was also very ordinary in many games, especially earlier in the season. Hopefully this was partly due to his recovery from the knee ops and he can get back to something like his 2018 season.

1 Like

Caldwell as sub feels unlikely.

2 Likes

Kelly Rance Laverde

Heppell Ridley Hind

Perkins Parish Cox

Snelling Jones Langford

Walla Wright Smith

Draper Stringer Merrett

Redman (d) Shiel (m) McGrath (m) Caldwell (m/f)
Francis (utility) (sub)

2 Likes

Ham is in an interesting spot in 2022. l feel that Guelfi and Durham are better options in the role Ham plays - at the moment.
With Hobbs - similar player - according to write ups l have read - may also go past Ham, Ham’s 2022 year becomes important as he will not want to be the Clarke /Cahill of 2021 - picked more in hope than expectation.
Not all is lost - l hope, for Ham.
So, a big VFL year awaits him - if he can have a Langford type breakout in the VFL - where Langford found confidence to make better quicker decisions, with Hams pace and gut running there is a top 28 / 30 ranked player there ready to make a good contribution when injuries occur - but still not an auto best 22 player.

Hobbs is not similar to Ham

1 Like