The Best 22 thread

Can’t fault your take on where players should be grouped other than would like to see Guelfi transition away from the small forward role.

Clearly not because he wasn’t any good but because we need to be exposing the next generation of players to that role.

Guelfi will still be of great value as a flexible small who can do a job at either end but would prefer he is overlooked in favour of guys like Menzie and Wanganeen assuming they are fit and in reasonable touch.

Ps. Parish is as inside as you’re ever gonna get

2 Likes

Agreed. He was a valuable stop gap this year and deserved his finish in the Crichton.

I do think that moving forward, we need small forwards with more pace/tricks that are able to hit the scoreboard and create pressure, assists etc.

Guelfi’s versatility and work ethic are his best traits.

2 Likes

Love what he brings and will demand a spot in my best 22 for all the reasons mentioned but he clearly has his limitations as the explosive, crumbing, creative forward we lacked last season.

1 Like

My best guess for now, assuming Walla is still building & Heppell gets first crack at the 22:

AFL:
B: Ridley BZT Kelly
HB: McGrath Laverde Redman
C: Martin Merrett Heppell
HF: Langford Jones Perkins
F: Guelfi Wright Stringer
R: Draper Parish Shiel

Int: Weideman Caldwell Hobbs Hind
Sub: Durham

VFL:
B: Hayes Reid Montgomery
HB: Lord McBride D’Ambrosio
C: A.Davey Setterfield Cox
HF: Snelling Voss Walla
F: Tex Stewart Baldwin
R: Bryan Atley Tsatas

I/C: Phillips Menzie Munkara Conforti Cootee
(assuming J.Davey in rehab)

Should have some pretty hot pressure for spots coming through with that VFL side - Cox, D’Ambrosio, Snelling & potentially Setterfield the most unlucky to miss out initially, with a fit Walla hopefully not too far away as well.

3 Likes

B Ridley BZT Hind

HB Redman Lav McGrath

C Durham Shiel Martin

HF Guelfi Jones Perkins

F Tippa Wright Menzie

R Draper Parish Merrett (C)

INT D’Ambrosio Caldwell Hobbs Heppell (C)

EMG Cox Snelling Kelly Weideman

I think Menzie and D’Ambrosio will perform in pre season and earn there spots

Tippa will exceed expectations and be ready to roll round 1

Stringer - Out, Don’t think he will be ready

2 Likes

That’s the first Menzie I think I’ve seen in the seniors. So that’s cool.

Langford is a bit upset with you though.

1 Like

I am surprised not to see much of Tsatas in the 22 - He’s seriously good and a lock for round one.

2 Likes

Yep.

For me he slots in nicely for a year on a wing/outside mid, builds into centre square midfield in year 2 or 3.

1 Like

Have you done your 22 yet ?

I think they’ll start with Heppell, Martin and Langford initially, to give Tsatas some time in the VFL

If Heppel is in the round 1 team something has gone seriously wrong with injuries or our player development.

1 Like

Love your team.

I am hopeful for Tsatas, Weid and Stringer in. Heppel, Jones, and Durham out. Jones needs to build in the VFL. Durham will get his shot through injuries.

Stringer is 11% body fat per one of the short sighted posters…

However you cut it, whatever you think the emphasis is or should be, there’s about 6 guys with legit claims on the last 2 spots.

We’re not going to win the flag, but I reckon we’ll be very good in patches.

Once you get past that 26 or 27th man, it’s pretty bad. So I think there will be some crashes.

5 Likes

I’m a lot more concerned where he is at the end of the year. Knowing him he’ll smash out pre season and put himself in the frame, and they’ll give him a shot early.

1 Like

Fair call. Reports suggested he looked good at training

He always does, because he’s a fantastic professional.

What then happens when the first ball is bounced is we all find out the game’s gotten a step faster, and he hasn’t…

So it’s about someone pushing him out, over the year. (To me, anyway).

4 Likes

I had him on my interchange, his got something about him

1 Like

Same as mine. The exception being I had Stringer in place of Menzie.
Menzie may well come on but for me it is a little too early to call.

He’s in the best shape in 5 years according to training watchers.

Ah true. I would probably replace Menzie with him then. Just due to structure, I think we need Massimos dash. Talent wise, I’d drop Heppell but I reckon we need the experience.

To be honest, we will finish bottom 4. Not enough senior experience. But the talent is there with the youngsters. VFL should be a fun watch.