The Best 22 thread

He always presents well, don’t think it’s going to improve his pace and agility though.

2 Likes

Heppell was a very good inside mid until he kept getting injured.

He could play that role.

1 Like

Like Hap said, i think he will start in the side. Due to leadership, experience and think new leaders would back him in early. It may be in a different role away from defence where he got exposed last year by lack of pace.

If he performs he stays and if not he’s gone.

I have often asked why he hasn’t stepped in to the middle in the last couple of years, seems very reluctant to be at the coalface.

These days I’d imagine a lot of people would be annoyed if Hep playing inside minutes (without looking like he’s AA, which is likely) took time away from the likes of Caldwell, Parish, and Hobbs.

1 Like

I didn’t mean a regular gig, I just wanted him to step up as captain and plonk himself in at the Ctr Bounce for all those times that we needed to stop the rot…and there has been many.

2 Likes

For a R1 crack …

B Ridley BZT McG
HB Redman Lav Hind
C Durham Merrett(c) Heppell
HF Guelfi Weiderman Martin
F Tippa Wright Stringer
R Draper Shiel Parish

INT D’Ambrosio Caldwell Hobbs Langford Cox (tactical)

EMG Tex, Setterfield, Kelly, Jones

. Menzie or Tex in if Tippa not ready
. Jones or Baldwin in if Stringer unfit

So Reid, Munkara, Tsatas, Jones, Balders, Phillips and others in a strong starting Bomber 2023 VFL.

If all the list is fit and firing, I’m going with this:

Laverde BZT Reid
Redman Ridley McGrath
Martin Merrett Langford
Perkins Jones Stringer
Walla Wright Guelfi
Draper Parish Caldwell

Int: d’Ambrosio Hobbs Shiel Durham

2 Likes

Heppell hasn’t been at a level required to perform that role for at least 3 season. He’s not that guy anymore.

3 Likes

He would likely add to the rot, not stop it.

I am not overestimating the quality of the 2022 carryover players: When your team finishes 4th last it should not be so difficult for Tsatas, your Pick 5 to play round 1, depending on how good a preseason he has. Likewise for Setterfield. There may be others and I want to see a bit of a shakeup on the field just like we had with the board and executive. We need a very real competition for spots. A new coach has no existing loyalties.
Now is the time.

4 Likes

This. No one should be a lock based in 2022 form aside from 2MP.

This talk that Langford, Heppell, Laverde etc are locks is rubbish

2 Likes

Yep, I would probably venture to say Draper and Zerret ( most likely the captain) are locks .
There are lots of inside mids vying for a couple of spots

2 Likes

The new broom virtually demands a new captain, and I reckon Zac Merret gets it; he is not really so much of a nice guy, he has an edge and he demands the best from himself. We need urgency in leadership, not too much concentration on pastoral care of best 22 players. Sure the pastoral care is important for draftees, and those who are slipping down the order. But being best 22 is a quantum jump in hardness, competitiveness and attitude.

4 Likes

there would be a few IMO
Wright
Parish
Merrett
Martin
Draper
Redman

Stringer/Walla if fit.

1 Like

Neither Stringer or Walla should be locks. Walla hasn’t even played AFL level football since 2021.

1 Like

If they are both fit come round 1 versus Hawks, cant see anyone getting a sniff ahead of them.

Both having a lot better preseasons than last year by the sounds of it (Walla Lighter, Stringer not injured)

1 Like

I’d add:

Ridley
McGrath (backline)
Shiel

2mp and that is it. The rest fight it out for mine

Our captain that used to be a mid couldn’t attend a couple of ctr bounces every now a then over the last few years when the opposition got a run on…bulldust.