The biggest EFC related defections in last 50 years

Read an interesting article from 3aw yesterday and thought it would be in an interesting debate/topic.

http://www.3aw.com.au/news/the-ten-biggest-club-defections-in-the-last-50-years-of-aflvfl-history-20150216-13g6jr.html

It’s 50 years to the day since Ron Barassi famously jumped ship from Melbourne to be appointed captain-coach of Carlton in a deal that rocked the football world.
In what remains arguably the game’s most infamous defection, 3AW decided to run through the game’s most controversial moves since Barassi left the Demons.

Chris Judd (West Coast to Carlton)
A premiership captain and Brownlow medallist at just 24, Judd requested a trade to Carlton in 2007 after being courted by a handful of Melbourne-based clubs.

Gary Ablett Jnr (Geelong to Gold Coast)
Speculation was rife all throughout the 2010 season the game’s best player was going to join the expansion club. And he did.

Ross Lyon (St Kilda to Fremantle)
In stunning circumstances, the St Kilda coach quit during the 2011 finals series to join the Dockers in a shock move that saw Mark Harvey axed as Fremantle coach.

Lance Franklin (Hawthorn to Sydney)
Many expected the superstar forward to head to the harbour city at the end of the 2013 season. It’s just that it was supposed to be to sign with GWS, not Sydney. The Swans snatched Franklin from their rivals just a year after luring Kurt Tippett from Adelaide in another blockbuster deal.

Leigh Colbert (Geelong to North Melbourne)
Appointed Geelong Captain for the 1999 season but failed to play a game due to injury. Colbert requested a trade to North Melbourne at the end of the season. He never captained Geelong in a match.

Ryan Griffen (Western Bulldogs to GWS)
The shock of the 2014 trade period. Griffen requested a change of scenery seemingly out of nowhere, forcing the Bulldogs into a corner. They declared they wouldn’t trade him, but ended up doing a deal that saw them land young forward Tom Boyd.

Kelvin Templeton (Footscray to Melbourne)
He was captain of the Bulldogs and had kicked 494 goals, won the 1980 Brownlow, two best-and-fairests and two Coleman medals when he was poached by the Demons as part of a million dollar deal that also yielded Collingwood skipper Peter Moore.

Ian Stewart (St Kilda to Richmond)
A dual Brownlow medallist at the time of his move, Stewart crossed to Richmond in a swap with Bill Barrett at the beginning of the 1971 season. Stewart went onto win his third Brownlow in his first season with the Tigers.

Nathan Buckley (Brisbane to Collingwood)
Signed by the Bears as a zone selection, Buckley initially resisted playing for the league’s new franchise. A deal was eventually struck with Collingwood that saw the talented youngster play the 1993 season with Brisbane before heading south to join the game’s biggest club.

Tom Scully (Melbourne to GWS)
Going into the 2011 season, the No.1 draft pick declared his loyalty to Melbourne. But after a season of intense speculation, the 20-year-old flew to Sydney to inspect the Giants’ training base, and while there announced he had decided to accept a six-year contract that made him the highest-paid player in AFL history.

Read an interesting article from 3aw yesterday and thought it would be in an interesting debate/topic.

I’m not sure whether i’d agree with all of the above because the more history between the two clubs as rivals, the bigger the defection IMO. As a result, I didn’t really care about Tom Scully or Ryan Griffen.

Of all those above Lance was the biggest of more recent times. I’m not sure how Greg Williams to Carlton didn’t make the list.

So it got me thinking what do people think are the 10 biggest defections relating to our club over the last 50 years?

I’ve only been following the game closely for the last 30 so here is my quick attempt in no particular order which I’m sure will be improved upon.

Gavin Wangeneen to Port Adelaide
Patrick Ryder to Port Adelaide
Roger Merrett to Brisbane
Paul Salmon to Hawthorn
Brendan Goddard to Essendon
Derek Kickett to Sydney
Mark Thompson to Essendon (as coach)
Blake Caracella to Brisbane

I know there were a few others that may have been big like Raines or Carmen to Essendon, but was too young too remember. I remember being disappointed that Blumfield and Hardwick left but i’m not sure they would qualify as big defections so I’ll leave the list at that.

1 Like
Barry Davis by a long way.

He was my PE teacher at High School, and I never forgave him. Loved it when we sacked him as coach for being a dud.

Same here. I idolised him. Were you at Coburg High?

Oak Park High.

Ken Fraser was my geography teacher in 1965. Barry Davis was there in 1968 and 69

Ken Fletcher taught at Strathmore High and Footy games between us and them were big.

I had another “defector” as my PE teacher at Oak Park High 10 years later- Steve Taubert. Had a great career in Sydney, and ended up taking the mark of the year one season. Whenever we had a footy clinic at the school, a host of Essendon players would show up. Have great memories of playing a scratch match against Merv Neagle/Glenn Hawker/Shane Heard and a few others. Good bunch of county boys.

Shane Harvey to North

#Sarcasm

Carracella wasn’t so much a defection was he? More in the same boat as Blumfield and Hardwick I’d have thought.

McPhee to Freo.

There hasn’t really been that many for us. Just because a player moves on to another club isn’t really that big of an issue, it’s whether there’s any controversy around it. Obviously successful teams can have difficulty holding on to players as they are highly sought after and there are salary cap limitations, and also older players find themselves on the outer and can get more money helping lesser clubs.

Paddy leaving was huge, since he was under contract, and the reasons he sighted for breaking it.

Wanganeen was massive, because of his stature and popularity at the club. This was made even huger by the fact he continued to play so well for them and become a premiership captain (didn’t he?). (If Paddy is just a plodder at Port then history will say “who cares”).

Getting Goddard was great for us, but I think he was just getting tired at the Saints.

Surprised they didn’t mention Carey to Adelaide??

Biggest of all time: Kepler to Freo

1 Like

All due respect to Tom Scully…but a defection? Lol

Quoted Post

Carracella wasn't so much a defection was he? More in the same boat as Blumfield and Hardwick I'd have thought.

McPhee to Freo.

Well if we had paid him more money would he have stayed? I don’t think we were moving him on… surely he was in our best 21 (or 22)

For me personally, only 3 matter, and in this order:

Wangeneen
Daylight
More Daylight
Ryder / Greg Anderson

The rest I either didn’t care about, or their reasons for leaving were fair enough, which includes Salmon.

The op has a very loose definition of defection.

Quoted Post

Quoted Post
Carracella wasn't so much a defection was he? More in the same boat as Blumfield and Hardwick I'd have thought.

McPhee to Freo.

Well if we had paid him more money would he have stayed? I don’t think we were moving him on… surely he was in our best 21 (or 22)

He could have stayed… if he wanted to earn about 15K a year.

1 Like

Quoted Post

Quoted Post
Quoted Post

McPhee to Freo.

wow… it was that bad? No wonder Lloydy and Hirdy love Essendon so much.

Ones that hurt - Wanganeen, Salmon, Ryder.

Quoted Post

Quoted Post
Quoted Post
Quoted Post

McPhee to Freo.

wow… it was that bad? No wonder Lloydy and Hirdy love Essendon so much.

I don’t think it was that bad… but it was bad.

Glenn Hawker to Carlton?

Quoted Post

Glenn Hawker to Carlton?
Not a defection that one.

Quoted Post

Quoted Post
Glenn Hawker to Carlton?
Not a defection that one.

Yeah I wasn’t sure on that one, bit young to remember

Wanganeen

Ryder can get ■■■■■■, he is a traitor.

Salmon was sad but that was our own fault. Some of our fans should have been ashamed of themselves.

Merv going to the Swans at the end of 1985. He was in our top 5 players for the previous 6 seasons, & was a real heart & soul player.

One of the best stories I heard about Merv, was when he first got picked to play for Victoria in State of Origin, Teddy Whitten came up to him & said when you put the ‘Big V’ on you feel like you are invincible & 10 feet tall. Well the game came around & Merv put the jumper on & said that he didn’t feel any different. But he reckons that every time he put on the ‘Red & Black’, he felt invincible & 10 feet tall.

I was shattered for days after he left & the idea of club loyalty was never the same.

Then daylight
Wanganeen, etc

1 Like