The biggest EFC related defections in last 50 years

Ryder

I was still pretty young when wanganeen left, so it didn’t have the same impact.

Ryder for me. The way he left, his attitude when leaving, distracting us in the lead up to our final. The interview he gave in the paper. All the work we put into him throughout his career. Demanding to go to port and costing us a low pick from GWS

Fk him. He can do his knee for all i care.

1 Like

What about us being on the end of defections.

Not sure we really needed to get Geoff Raines and Michael Richardson from Collingwood losing Peter Bradbury and Stephen Carey at the same time. Wrecked the culture in the club for a while.

1 Like

Didn’t think Merrett was a defection.

Quoted Post

Don’t shoot me, but who is the bald bloke? Glenn Hawker?

Paul Sproule to Richmond

1 Like

Wanganeen

To this day it still hurts.

1 Like

Quoted Post

Quoted Post

Yes. Hasn’t changed a bit hey :slight_smile:

Yeah, Paul Sproule to Richmond was a bitter blow.

Quoted Post

What about us being on the end of defections.

Not sure we really needed to get Geoff Raines and Michael Richardson from Collingwood losing Peter Bradbury and Stephen Carey at the same time. Wrecked the culture in the club for a while.

Agree, especially since Raines came to Essendon to get away from Richardson. We did get the other Richardson twin, Stephen, as well, who played okay in the resizes and probably deserved a senior call up or few. We would have been much better served by holding on to Bradbury and Carey. Great servants of the club who bled the proverbial, unlike the mercenary Raines.

I was upset when P Weston went back to SA.

Still had plenty left to give Essendon.

Three years, 3x GF’s with 2x flags.

His leaving + injuries made 1986 an ‘annus horribilis’.

Screw 1986.

Quoted Post

Screw 1986.

And Mick Conlan!

My earliest footy related “distraught” moment.

Quoted Post

Didn't think Merrett was a defection.

Does anyone know the circumstances around Roger leaving? Did he defect for money or family reasons or other? Falling out? Sheeds loved him and surely didn’t want him to leave.

Was spoken of as the most influential player in the game during the mid 80s. I can’t think of a player in today’s game that would compare to be honest with his direct attack of the footy and incredibly sure hands and great kick.

Quoted Post

Quoted Post
Didn't think Merrett was a defection.

Does anyone know the circumstances around Roger leaving? Did he defect for money or family reasons or other? Falling out? Sheeds loved him and surely didn’t want him to leave.

Was spoken of as the most influential player in the game during the mid 80s. I can’t think of a player in today’s game that would compare to be honest with his direct attack of the footy and incredibly sure hands and great kick.

His 1987 season was ok at the start, but, injuries were having an impact. His last game was his 149th at the club and Sheeds has said he would have played round 1 1988 and so was rested (with Essendon not playing finals).

Roger was perhaps incensed and almost left of his own accord from that anger, but, as Sheedy points out, he gave O’Donnell a game O’Donnell had earned for 4 years in the reserves and ended up a champion. Roger’s departure is probably a sad one, but, we may not have made the 1990 and 1993 grand finals without change.

Wow…I must be older than a lot of you posting in here, but I’m surprised that nobody has mentioned either Barry Davis or Graham Moss.

One was a club captain who left under the “Ten Year Rule” to go to North Melbourne for more money and the other was a reigning Brownlow Medalist.

Pretty big defections in my opinion.

1 Like

Dean Solomon
Mark Johnson… loved his agro

The Ryder one stings more as he originally wanted out to go north to be with his wife’s family… then “Oh hang on we want to go to Port”

Tim Watson to WC

3 Likes

Quoted Post

Dean Solomon Mark Johnson.. loved his agro

Mark was delisted, and Solly was traded.

Quoted Post

Quoted Post

Dodger looks in fine form in that pick, considering how sick has has been.