The biggest EFC related defections in last 50 years

Never liked him, but Des Tuddenham coming from Collingwood (as a former Captain) to be Captain Coach of Essendon in 1973 was big. It was our much less successful version of Carlton’s move on Barassi.

Appreciate the pick up on Graham Moss and Barry Davis by Swoodley above.

Obviously I wasn’t happy about losing Stephen Carey and Bradbury for Raines and Richardson, and Neagle was a big loss.

Oh, and Ron Andrews to Collingwood, although this was more to do with not being favoured by Sheedy and just looking for an opportunity at the end of his career, but not how you like to see a favourite go out.

Same with Big Rog. His trade probably cost us a flag.

Quoted Post

Sheeds has said many times that if we kept Rog we might have pinched the '89 or '90 flag but then we almost certainly wouldn’t have won '93. I don’t think Rog would have made much difference in '89 against the Gazza freak show or a Hawthorn team hell bent on winning back-to-back, and we still should have won 1990 anyway.

Biggest bona fide defections away from EFC in my opinion: (in chronological order)
Tom Fitzmaurice
Barry Davis
Merv Neagle
Roger Merrett
Greg Anderson
Gavin Wanganeen
No.30 (I’m still too bitter)

Quoted Post

Quoted Post

Sheeds has said many times that if we kept Rog we might have pinched the '89 or '90 flag but then we almost certainly wouldn’t have won '93. I don’t think Rog would have made much difference in '89 against the Gazza freak show or a Hawthorn team hell bent on winning back-to-back, and we still should have won 1990 anyway.

Biggest bona fide defections away from EFC in my opinion: (in chronological order)
Tom Fitzmaurice
Barry Davis
Merv Neagle
Roger Merrett
Greg Anderson
Gavin Wanganeen

How do you leave out Graham Moss who left us for Claremont because Essendon didn’t seem to be going anywhere?

Quoted Post

Wow...I must be older than a lot of you posting in here, but I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned either Barry Davis .....

Good call. Until last year Barry Davis was the one which stung most for me. Club captain and my favourite player, until Timmy came along to bring even greater honour to #32.

But Ryder’s departure is on a whole different level of low. The deception - taking advantage of the club’s darkest hour and at the same time using his wife as an excuse - all to chase a flag. He was previously one of my current-day favourites, but now I feel embarrassed that I supported him and have nothing but utter contempt for that pathetic excuse for a human being.

1 Like

Alan Noonan to Richmond. John Williams to Collingwood in a deal that saw Collingwood ruckman Graham Jenkin to Essendon

Quoted Post

Quoted Post
Quoted Post

Tom Fitzmaurice
Barry Davis
Merv Neagle
Roger Merrett
Greg Anderson
Gavin Wanganeen

How do you leave out Graham Moss who left us for Claremont because Essendon didn’t seem to be going anywhere?

I guess because Graham Moss didn’t defect to a club in the same league as Essendon

Quoted Post

Alan Noonan to Richmond. John Williams to Collingwood in a deal that saw Collingwood ruckman Graham Jenkin to Essendon

Didn’t know he went to Richmond,must not have done much there.which is good

Quoted Post

Quoted Post

1 season 1977 10 games 14 goals

Quoted Post

Quoted Post
Quoted Post

1 season 1977 10 games 14 goals

Would still get a game with that mob

So to some up the others had “reasons” and we don’t resent them, but Ryder is definitely a prick.

Jarryd when Gold Coast joined the comp

Lonergan to ninthmond

Quoted Post

Jarryd when Gold Coast joined the comp

Aren’t we talking about people we missed…not ones who improved us by their departure?

And I think it was GWS.

The ones that got to me were Fields, Roberts and Cassin.
Loved them all but all left within a few years of each other.
Fields was my first hero and he leaving for the Swans really hurt.
But at least the deal worked in our favour.

1 Like

Paul Sproule going to Ninthmond.

That one hurt us a lot.

Salmon was almost 31 when he left (was 31 & 3 months when he played his first for Hawthorn)

The surprise was him playing good footy 'til he was 36 or 37. And that we were able to get something for an injured 30-31 year old.

1 Like

Wanganeen to Port hurts the most

Barry Davis gave us great service and left for a premiership…

Moss went BACK to Claremont

Ryder went to Port for “Family” reasons… Flights Ade to Bris must be cheaper than Melb / Bris

Never really have a problem with any of them as mostly there reasons for the decisions made. Have defended wanganeen for wanting to go home and captain port, thinks that’s fair enough.

Ryder is ■■■■■■■ scum and much as I find it hard to wish harm on him and have deleted a few things I was gonna wish on him I agree with efc1robbo regards the knee.

1 Like

Enrico Misso to St Kilda