The case for Ben Ainsworth

This has been a while in the making. I’m not the greatest when it comes to tech stuff but I put together a video which combined Ben Ainsworth’s highlights from both the 2015 and 2016 National Championships. I basically condensed over 15 minutes worth of videos that are out there into a 6 minute package for you guys to watch and enjoy and also to help mount my (and Barnz) case for getting the the skill-set that this young man possesses into our footy club this November. I have heard from people that he perhaps isn’t quite on our radar at present but I genuinely feel he should be being strongly considered.

The story so far:

Last year he made the Vic Country squad as under-ager which was a fine achievement in itself but he wasn’t just a bit part player throughout the 2015 National Championships. In fact he booted 15 goals for the tournament (second only to Key Forward Josh Schache) and was named in the All-Australian team. This had him being spoken about quite early as a possible number 1 pick the following year.

This season, whilst it has had its bright moments where he has showcased his immense talent, it hasn’t quite gone as smoothly as the previous one due to injury and suspension. This has prevented Ainsworth from achieving the necessary momentum and continuity in his body and his game in general.

It began in the US on an AIS-AFL academy camp where he broke his wrist which made for a stuttering pre-season. He just got to the line in round 1 but in this game he badly hyper-extended his knee which put him out of action for a month and on his return copped a 4 week suspension for 2 separate incidents. It’s fair to say at this point he would be frustrated.

He completed the much fabled ‘mini pre-season’ whilst out suspended and returned for VIC Country’s 2nd match of the National Championships. He kicked 4 goals in this game and turned the game on it’s head in the third quarter by doing the mercurial and making things happen around goal. It was quite evident though that he was short of a gallop and he needed more footy. He went into the midfield in the match against South Australia and was named in the bests with some of his incisive kicking a real feature.

Towards the back end of the season for Gippsland Power he had a couple of matches were he had it on a string and was kicking multiple goals. He looked like he was finally hitting his stride but unfortunately it was as the TAC Cup season finished. His team Gippsland Power were not all that strong this year which didn’t help things. His last match will be this Friday in the now annual pre-AFL grand final All-Star match. Weather doesn’t look great but I await with interest to see how he goes.

Why I feel he will be a great acquisition:

He is a clean, 1 touch player with penetrating footskills, surprisingly good overhead and he hits the scoreboard. I like that combination. Someone who adds polish and vibrancy forward of centre. Let’s be honest, we have been one of the most frustrating teams to watch with ball in the forward half for the best part of a decade. He can assist us in this area.

How long has it been since we have had a match winner? By that I mean a guy who can do the mercurial (no pun) and turn a game on it’s head with utter brilliance. Someone who makes something out of nothing on almost a regular basis and gets the crowd and the momentum surging our way. Fantasia is the closest to this sort of player that we have had for some time. Yes Tippa has a bit of this about him.

I want this type of player.

I think we need this type of player. Especially after the last few years of rubbish we need guys that excite and get you on the edge of your seat whenever they are involved. I see Ainsworth as this player.

I personally see Jamie Elliot, Eddie Betts potential in this fellow Ainsworth.
X factor is underrated. These guys are often the ones who win you games of footy by breaking a deadlock with utter brilliance. Of course you need the solid framework around them as well.

He is more than just a ‘goal sneak’ as well. He has potential to be put into the midfield rotations and provide a real spark and energy around the stoppages with his dynamic movement patterns.

Look I can understand the rationale if we go the safe option with the bigger bodied, taller inside mid in Brodie, or the guy who smashes the stat sheet every week in McCluggage (who also has a high development ceiling) but there’s something about this guy I reckon we will come to regret if we pass him up

I believe he would have been absolutely in the thick of the pick 1 conversation if he had played the National Champs with footy under his belt and had the chance to play in TAC Cup finals. But I understand given the years that the respective candidates have put up that it is probably difficult to select him at pick 1, even though I would feel very confident he would justify that selection once in an elite AFL environment. However if Jackets Dodoro is contemplating turning 1 pick into 2 top 10’ers I would like to see Ben Ainsworth come under very, very strong consideration.

Oh and, please don’t give me this ‘we shouldn’t draft him because of who his manager is’ rubbish. We have a very bright future with the squad we are assembling. A squad full of talent that I honestly believe will go places. We need to back ourselves in that we will be a club that players want to be around and one that is in the hunt for the ultimate success. If this is the case even P Connors will be able to be dealt with. The worst is behind us folks, we are like phoenix rising from the ashes and Ben Ainsworth in my opinion can form an important part of this process.

Nice work here. Don’t know a lot about him but, a more polished Hayden Ballantyne?

But Connors

Pass

Belts carnts so like him but managed by Connors so no thanks

Appreciate the input- just going to synch up the audio a little better as it’s bugging me, so video will be temporarily unavailable for say half an hour.

EDIT: Back up now. Ta.

Don’t need to use pick 1 on Ainsworth, just need to get our hands on pick 5, 6, or 7 somehow.
He will be an excellent choice if we get the 2 picks in the top 10 type scenario.

No way he will go pick 1.

Great work there however I’m interested to hear you’re thoughts on why you think Brodie and McCluggage shouldn’t be taken with pick 1.

A wild card to take into play is Darcy Parish, having played with all three of them at Vic Country he probably knows their work ethic, team work(selflessness, greed) and determination better than any scout.

IMO players such as Tippa , Colyer , Fantasia and Zerrett have Ainsworth’s position covered. Also even if we traded down and he’s available players such as Mcgrath, SPS and Bowes would be right in contention.

By using NBA draft history only 3 players (Shaq, Duncan and Lebron) have been clear #1 picks that were franchise changing in the last 25 years, and if you look back on AFL most of the time the best player is not taken at pick 1.

It’s not about who we draft now It’s about who we draft 5-10 years from now. Just look back at 2006 and you’ll understand what I mean. Either way It’s kinda exciting, I trust that the EFC will get the best player as our recruiting staff has vastly improved since then.

Don’t care who or how good he is. Connors means nope.

Don't care who or how good he is. Connors means nope.
And that should be conveyed to him.

Sorry Ben, we’d love to pick you up, but not if you’re going with him as your manager.

Don’t draft him. Wait 2-3 years and poach him. Even if he is still in contract. Manager will be up for it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkt8V9-nuuo&feature=youtu.be

This has been a while in the making. I’m not the greatest when it comes to tech stuff but I put together a video which combined Ben Ainsworth’s highlights from both the 2015 and 2016 National Championships. I basically condensed over 15 minutes worth of videos that are out there into a 6 minute package for you guys to watch and enjoy and also to help mount my (and Barnz) case for getting the the skill-set that this young man possesses into our footy club this November. I have heard from people that he perhaps isn’t quite on our radar at present but I genuinely feel he should be being strongly considered.

The story so far:

Last year he made the Vic Country squad as under-ager which was a fine achievement in itself but he wasn’t just a bit part player throughout the 2015 National Championships. In fact he booted 15 goals for the tournament (second only to Key Forward Josh Schache) and was named in the All-Australian team. This had him being spoken about quite early as a possible number 1 pick the following year.

This season, whilst it has had its bright moments where he has showcased his immense talent, it hasn’t quite gone as smoothly as the previous one due to injury and suspension. This has prevented Ainsworth from achieving the necessary momentum and continuity in his body and his game in general.

It began in the US on an AIS-AFL academy camp where he broke his wrist which made for a stuttering pre-season. He just got to the line in round 1 but in this game he badly hyper-extended his knee which put him out of action for a month and on his return copped a 4 week suspension for 2 separate incidents. It’s fair to say at this point he would be frustrated.

He completed the much fabled ‘mini pre-season’ whilst out suspended and returned for VIC Country’s 2nd match of the National Championships. He kicked 4 goals in this game and turned the game on it’s head in the third quarter by doing the mercurial and making things happen around goal. It was quite evident though that he was short of a gallop and he needed more footy. He went into the midfield in the match against South Australia and was named in the bests with some of his incisive kicking a real feature.

Towards the back end of the season for Gippsland Power he had a couple of matches were he had it on a string and was kicking multiple goals. He looked like he was finally hitting his stride but unfortunately it was as the TAC Cup season finished. His team Gippsland Power were not all that strong this year which didn’t help things. His last match will be this Friday in the now annual pre-AFL grand final All-Star match. Weather doesn’t look great but I await with interest to see how he goes.

Why I feel he will be a great acquisition:

He is a clean, 1 touch player with penetrating footskills, surprisingly good overhead and he hits the scoreboard. I like that combination. Someone who adds polish and vibrancy forward of centre. Let’s be honest, we have been one of the most frustrating teams to watch with ball in the forward half for the best part of a decade. He can assist us in this area.

How long has it been since we have had a match winner? By that I mean a guy who can do the mercurial (no pun) and turn a game on it’s head with utter brilliance. Someone who makes something out of nothing on almost a regular basis and gets the crowd and the momentum surging our way. Fantasia is the closest to this sort of player that we have had for some time. Yes Tippa has a bit of this about him.

I want this type of player.

I think we need this type of player. Especially after the last few years of rubbish we need guys that excite and get you on the edge of your seat whenever they are involved. I see Ainsworth as this player.

I personally see Jamie Elliot, Eddie Betts potential in this fellow Ainsworth.
X factor is underrated. These guys are often the ones who win you games of footy by breaking a deadlock with utter brilliance. Of course you need the solid framework around them as well.

He is more than just a ‘goal sneak’ as well. He has potential to be put into the midfield rotations and provide a real spark and energy around the stoppages with his dynamic movement patterns.

Look I can understand the rationale if we go the safe option with the bigger bodied, taller inside mid in Brodie, or the guy who smashes the stat sheet every week in McCluggage (who also has a high development ceiling) but there’s something about this guy I reckon we will come to regret if we pass him up

I believe he would have been absolutely in the thick of the pick 1 conversation if he had played the National Champs with footy under his belt and had the chance to play in TAC Cup finals. But I understand given the years that the respective candidates have put up that it is probably difficult to select him at pick 1, even though I would feel very confident he would justify that selection once in an elite AFL environment. However if Jackets Dodoro is contemplating turning 1 pick into 2 top 10’ers I would like to see Ben Ainsworth come under very, very strong consideration.

Oh and, please don’t give me this ‘we shouldn’t draft him because of who his manager is’ rubbish. We have a very bright future with the squad we are assembling. A squad full of talent that I honestly believe will go places. We need to back ourselves in that we will be a club that players want to be around and one that is in the hunt for the ultimate success. If this is the case even P Connors will be able to be dealt with. The worst is behind us folks, we are like phoenix rising from the ashes and Ben Ainsworth in my opinion can form an important part of this process.

I’d love to know how many players Connors has with the Hawks and Cats. Seriously.
Is he able to recommend to his client that a ‘team reward’ may be greater than an individual pay-rise?

Don't care who or how good he is. Connors means nope.
And that should be conveyed to him.

Sorry Ben, we’d love to pick you up, but not if you’re going with him as your manager.

This only works if he wanted to come to us. And given his talent, it’s not like he won’t be picked up.

But yeah I’d like to let all Connors clients know it.

Towelled up by McGrath last week. Shut him down. I think Brodie, McG and McC would all be well ahead of him and a better fit for us.

Nice highlights and no doubt is very talented but we need mids and more mids. Look at Sydney, dogs and gws and how deep those teams bat. If we wanna compete with those teams we need to keep on adding genuine midfielders not a small Forward.

They’re not buying it HD.

Connors is his manager, no thanks

Pick 1 is too high but would seriously consider him between 5-10 if we somehow trade down to those picks.

If he was 195cm and played the fwd 50 the same way as in the highlights package, he’d be the clearest pick 1 for sure.

He is very clean and exactly what we need but…

Can you really spend pick 1 on a medium forward? Generally this pick is used for the outstanding mid or a KPP. But you could argue that there is neither in this draft.

They're not buying it HD.

I certainly am. Exactly what we need if we can get 2 picks in the top 10…But I’ve written him off due to Connors being a ■■■■ + Boot saying it won’t happen.