The Chris Judd Trade

Gee, I forgot it was 3, 20 and Kennedy. Seems like a lot now. 

I think it was worth it more off the field than on for Carlton.  You need to factor in the marketability, the sponsors, the captaincy and the fact that the trade reignited a fan base that was dropping off the bandwagon at an alarming rate coming into 2007. A lot of memberships were sold off the back of the Judd deal.

Plus, wasn't Judd also a big advocate behind closed doors of moving Fevola on, and hence, rectifying a bad cultural problem within the club that might have hindered future success?

Gee l thought it seemed like a lot at the time the deal was made. ln previous drafting coups like that it has paid off handsomely in the past, think Barassi and Kernahan. This time around it was always fraught with danger, not because Judd wasn't worth it, but because the rest of their list could not sustain the difference between netting a star player and then transforming the rest of the team into genuine flag contenders. ln other words they not only paid overs, but they massively over rated their own list.

Really - Any club would happily have recruited Judd. Do you think that Sellwood or Pendlebury were available - That all clubs wouldn't want to recruit these players. Gun players are always desired. 

Ablett went to GC in a similar situation, but with only one #1.

I think it was worth it more off the field than on for Carlton.  You need to factor in the marketability, the sponsors, the captaincy and the fact that the trade reignited a fan base that was dropping off the bandwagon at an alarming rate coming into 2007. A lot of memberships were sold off the back of the Judd deal.

Plus, wasn't Judd also a big advocate behind closed doors of moving Fevola on, and hence, rectifying a bad cultural problem within the club that might have hindered future success?

Gee l thought it seemed like a lot at the time the deal was made. ln previous drafting coups like that it has paid off handsomely in the past, think Barassi and Kernahan. This time around it was always fraught with danger, not because Judd wasn't worth it, but because the rest of their list could not sustain the difference between netting a star player and then transforming the rest of the team into genuine flag contenders. ln other words they not only paid overs, but they massively over rated their own list.

Really - Any club would happily have recruited Judd. Do you think that Sellwood or Pendlebury were available - That all clubs wouldn't want to recruit these players. Gun players are always desired. 
Of course they are always desired, the issue here is the price they paid.

The Judd trade was good for them short term but horrible long term.

Short term, he brought some star power to a struggling club and had a positive influence on a lot of their young guys early on.  He brought that group a level of professionalism that they probably hadn't seen before and as such, he dragged that team up the ladder and they were playing finals.

Long term, Carlton became the Judd Football Club.  They sacrificed their future to try and fill in gaps around Judd to nab a flag while he was there.  They gave up a quality player and draft picks to get him there and they traded another high pick for McLean (who was brought in to help Judd).  They handed the captaincy straight over to a guy who had zero leadership abilities.  Think of the club functions that made headlines where players were acting up and where was their leader to pull them into line?  Nowhere.  Look at his successor.  Clearly learned everything he could from a player that lead only by example.  His existence in that midfield covered the stench of weakness.  Judd got all the attention and the likes of Murphy and Gibbs survived by being fed by him.

Now that his novelty has worn off and he is starting to miss games through injury and stupidity, Carlton are struggling, big time!  Judd's not the player who could turn a game off his own boot like he used to be.  No other Carlton players come even close to taking a game on and inspiring the team.

It seems Carlton's blueprint was:

1. Get Judd

2. Get handed premiership

3. Um....

So now they have no remarkable key position players and midfield of toothless tigers.  This whole team needs to be torn down and rebuilt from the ground up.

You can't teach heart. 

Nor can you buy it. 

That is why carlton are where they are. 

I beg to differ, I think they're lulling us all into a false sense of security, they're timing their run home, he's quite the strategist is MM

I beg to differ, I think they're lulling us all into a false sense of security, they're timing their run home, he's quite the strategist is MM

l'll admit then that l have been completely lulled. Either that or his timing for the run home is a long term one, perhaps some time after the next ice age.

l'll admit then that l have been completely lulled. Either that or his timing for the run home is a long term one, perhaps some time after the next ice age.

:D I dunno, my theory would sound plausible to a carlton supporter, after all, they bought all the hype about Judd bringing them a flag even though their list was so overrated. The whole exercise in recruiting judd was more about bragging rights and appeasing their membership than one of actually constructing a team. Their own arrogance doesn't allow them to believe their list is crap..... let the good times roll

:D I dunno, my theory would sound plausible to a carlton supporter, after all, they bought all the hype about Judd bringing them a flag even though their list was so overrated. The whole exercise in recruiting judd was more about bragging rights and appeasing their membership than one of actually constructing a team. Their own arrogance doesn't allow them to believe their list is crap..... let the good times roll
It's the same sort of thinking that forced them into drafting Squibbs.

I'm sure they all walk around the club slapping each other on the back and telling each other that the next flag is theirs, all they need is one more piece of the puzzle, they're delusional over there.

They thought Judd would bring off field leadership, THEY WERE WRONG

I'm sure they all walk around the club slapping each other on the back and telling each other that the next flag is theirs, all they need is one more piece of the puzzle, they're delusional over there.
Next piece? Ha. Their next piece will be their first !!!

You are all missing out on Judd's single-handed contribution to keeping alive the brown paper bag industry.

Of course they are always desired, the issue here is the price they paid.

It was a fair trade. You don't get Judd for Dyson and a third rounder 1

The Judd trade wasn’t the whole story, the mindset behind it was.

“Hey let’s get Brick McLean for pick 14”!. “Warnock’s available, only pick 25”. “Mick is on the market”. “Daisy is on the outer”. Etc.

Buy, buy, buy.

The Judd trade wasn't the whole story, the mindset behind it was.
"Hey let's get Brick McLean for pick 14"!. "Warnock's available, only pick 25". "Mick is on the market". "Daisy is on the outer". Etc.
Buy, buy, buy.

That last line neatly encapsulates Caaarlton mentality / culture over the last 30 years or more. If it moves, buy it. Judd was meant to be the answer to all their dreams. While he was the real thing, the rest of the team weren't up to it. All their tanking was for nought.

You are all missing out on Judd's single-handed contribution to keeping alive the brown paper bag industry.

It's in his contract that we have to mention the "brown paper bag" is made from recycled products.

We wouldn't have had the ASADA issues. Juddy says no to jabs, unless they're into the eyes of an opponent.

So disappointed we didn't have him around to say no.

He has showed at Carlton and West Coast that he has the power to rule over his team mates. It wasn't his team mate that was stood down for a year for a serious drug problem, nor was it one of his players that got so wasted at the Brownlow that he became trade bait. And hey what about the time some clubmates got a rookie listed player so ■■■■■■ on a players booze cruise that his parents feared he was dead. He must have been too busy out the back rowing the boat to keep it moving in the right direction.

Yeah that is leadership....

They thought Judd would bring off field leadership, THEY WERE WRONG

Conversely, a friend of mine (from Sydney, no interest in footy) saw Jobe and a few of the boys out one night, and mentioned to me that he was very quick to pull the others in line, and that they listened.