The concert and gig thread

How ■■■■■■■ awesome was it! Whole place was absolutely packed and they were really, really tight!

Hurricane Laughter, Boys in the Better Land, Jackie Down the Line and I Love You were standouts for me, but the whole set was fantastic.

2 Likes

Agree.

I think they ran out of time though. Usually they end the main set with Too Real but they didn’t play it.

That’s the song that hit me in to them initially.

1 Like

Yeah that is also a great song, not sure if they played it anywhere else (I was looking at setlist.fm before). I think I may have to watch them again at Laneway Festival on Saturday.

Some big shows and big tours getting around. Great to see.

Still, local shows is where it all starts.

BIFF are pretty rad, and this should be a fun show.

BIFF! BIFFTAPE #3 Launch Tickets at Bergy Bandroom (Brunswick, VIC) on Friday, 3 March 2023.

I’d actually be ■■■■■■ hearing nothing from that album. But I guess they’ve been playing across 5 decades.

Fair enough. The 80s albums are… different.

I know mothers milk doesn’t rate very high, but it’s seminal for my music interests. But I’m sure most fans would’ve had a blast, good on them for still touring.

I never really liked the album prior, Freaky Styley or whatever it’s called.

1 Like

2nd night set was better although the crowd was not happy to go without Under The Bridge. Had someone play it outside Southern Cross and the outgoing crowd ate it up, could hear them almost 500m away

4 Likes

Grian Chatten was a magnetic front man to watch on stage. Chequeless Reckless onwards was went it really kicked into an awesome level for me

Thought the set started real strong. Kinda lulled in the middle but still really enjoyed it. No Scar Tissue or UTB a little disappointing but was happy with the choice of new songs. Overall thought it was great.

Was at City and Color which was back to back nights at the forum for me.

Was awesome. A delicious little entree for Alexisonfire in a couple of weeks.

Passed on RHCP. I did see them in 92 at festival hall.

■■■■ man we must really have some similar music taste! I was there too.

Not to preach too hard, but Dallas has some of the best vocals I have ever heard in my life. I’m surprised he is not more highly rated than he is! I’m talking like Jeff Buckley and Freddy Mercury then a bit of space and he is there. What a pleasure.

Tbh the band just played backing to his voice. They really didn’t need to do a thing.

I saw Jeff play his first Australian gig at the Lounge way back when. I made the comment that the voice tonight was equal to that.

Gimme Gimme Satdee night. Yeeehaw!

I’d have seen the Peppers 30 years ago. These days not so much.

1 Like

Been to several popular concerts in the past few months.

GNR
Billy Joel
Elton John
RHCP

Noticed Billy and Elton have the lyric prompter, but then last night Kiedis also was using it extensively.

Is that a thing for acts these days?

I understand Billy and Elton, didn’t notice Axl using it.

Anyone else noticing this happening more?

Or should we just accept our artists are getting older and good on them for moving with the technology?!

From a purely artistic perspective, I’d say it’s a ‘cop out’ (but harsh maybe).

But if we want to see the biggest names in the world. At a price fans can afford, it’s going to mean playing at larger venues. Bands, promoters and fans all want a great experience. So try and remove all variables and chances at a ■■■■■■ experience. So o guess it’s to be expected.

However. If you mime, or don’t have your instrument plugged in, that’s BS

Not that I’m comparing, but I used to have a notebook, but that was doing 40+ songs a gig.

I understand the usefulness of it to avoid…y’know…
Tell me baby what’s on your mind!
Uh…ahunnama bubbada bwind…
Anyone can have a brain fade.

RHCP are doing new songs.
Elton John is doing songs he’s been playing for twenty years minimum and touring for about three. You wouldn’t think he’d need them.
Billy Joel really should be at the point where not only doesn’t he need lyrics, but he should be able to go into a bit of improv.

As long as they’re prompts rather than something they’re relying on, though, I’m fine with it.

I’m torn on it.

You don’t see the guitarist with a music stand in front of him, so why does a vocalist get that luxury?

If I’m paying you 200 a ticket, the least you can do is learn the fkn songs.

In Elton and Joel’s case though, they’re, what, in their 70’s now? I can probably cut them a bit of slack. The memory gets a bit tardy from 60 onwards, and they have songs written 50 years ago.

Kiedis though… the Chilis have about a dozen albums, and barely call on about 4 of them. That leaves about 80 songs. If I can be lyric perfect for a couple of hundred of my favourite songs which I didn’t write, record and have never performed or rehearsed, is it too much to expect a paid performer to know their own stuff? It’s not like he has instrumental parts to remember either…

I know I was piissed off in the early 90’s when Michael Stipe of REM was reading his lyrics off a music stand in front of him. But then, that whole gig was phoned-in, by the whole damn band…

1 Like

REM were the reason I started the notebook in the first place.

Edit: it wasn’t for The One I Love…
Edit: edit: may have slipped in the Simpsons verse occassionally…

I remember Shaun Ryder using one about 20 years ago. But he needed all the help he could get just to get through the show.

4 Likes