The Cricket Thread (part 4) - from Boxing Day 2022

An appeal for caught behind turned down off Pat, just flicks the thigh pad on the way through. Another very good decision.

Great delivery, regardless.

2 Likes

Aussies are bowling pretty well, but there isnā€™t a great deal in this surface to be honest.

The bowlers have been average at best.

Starc is now looking for some swing and his line is drifting. Might be an unplayable one randomly though.

I donā€™t share this angst over us bowling first.

It primarily based on the randomness of a coin toss. No skill in picking the right call. South Africa could just as easily have won it and decided to bat and weā€™d be in this exact situation.

Good sides should win regardless of the toss on a fair pitch for batsmen and bowlers.

3 Likes

chops man KETTLE on the money so far

2 Likes

Paul Reiffel would have appealed for that if he was still bowling. Gives it not out and he was right.

1 Like

I reckon they have been good. Some really good leaves by the batters, one dropped catch( though very very tough one).they are getting it in the right areas. Surface hasnā€™t helped that much

Nah. There are right and wrong calls and when you have the choice you need to get that choice right. No skill in calling the toss, but definite skill in then using that choice. 130 years of Test cricket suggests that this is the wrong call.

1 Like

boring, bring out the boland

Strong argument that only England and the Desi teams should get the Melbourne/Sydney tests. Even SriLanka would pull 75k at least

yeah but when you got boland on the MCG youā€™re guaranteed a win

If they won the toss and batted, thatā€™s fine as we havenā€™t had a call to make. But if you do win the toss, itā€™s a different situation. If you effectively hand them control of the game and they take it, thatā€™s on you. I donā€™t think this will occur, but say they make 450 1st innings he will get crucified for the decision to send them in.

2 Likes

Boland replacing Starc, who has been ineffectual.

test cricket needs bolands to survive

5 Likes

Starc would be more effective with some right handers to bowl too

I get that but I donā€™t get that worked up about it. We could just as easily be in this same situation.

Fate of this test is going to based on a heap of other decisions throughout the match.

SA would prefer to run themselves out rather than face Boland.

Iā€™m not so sure about that. Given standard Test match performances from here, this is looking a critical factor tbh.