The Cricket Thread

Deep breaths, and off we go again.

The game wont call stumps.

If aus can get a 100 run lead the game is theirs.

Will be lucky to get 50 ahead.
What's with all the negativity? Pre-marriage nerves? Reign it in, Captain Darkness.
Yeah, it's no different to the endless reports of "mystery balls" and Glenn McGrath predicting 5-0 results.

It’s very different when you’re going to be there on the field to back it up. And do just that. Without fail. Every series. For 15 years.
Compared to retiring halfway through a series then sitting on the sidelines, saying “my brother’s going to beat you up, as soon as he gets here”.
Particularly as you never heard a peep out of him during his career.

I’ll bet he’ll be the first one to whinge about some particular tactic or sledge when we win.

Sorry, forgot Zimbabwe.

I’m not suggesting that either side is above such things. But I am suggesting that McGrath is a ■■■■■■■.

SA are currently 8/38. This after against the Vic’s they collapsed in a heap in the second innings as well.

McGrath’s 5-0 press releases were in direct response to England’s regular ‘worst touring side ever. Ever.’ announcements.
■■■■ England, Wales, Ireland, Scotland, South Africa, West Indies and New Zealand.

Yeah, it's no different to the endless reports of "mystery balls" and Glenn McGrath predicting 5-0 results.

I really hate remembering the days around this statement

Square Jeff.

Yeah, it’s no different to the endless reports of “mystery balls” and Glenn McGrath predicting 5-0 results.

i partially agree, but swann having a crack at smith for being too unorthodox for English pitches.

pups response should have been;

“smithies a stayer, we expect him to stick it out no matter how hard things get and be there for his teammates for the whole series.”

Swann writes articles now and there is an Ashes series coming up. The Poms are talking up Stokes as their best player while talking down the Aussies best player. It is what is expected and is simply a sound bite to pump up the rivalry and means nothing. Throw away lines are the order of the day until the game hits.

Flem is a classic talking about his hat trick on debut. Only one to do it in tests. Talks about the AGM's he goes to for the "hat-trick on debut club". He also has never been defeated in their annual golf day.

Not wanting to rain on Flem’s party but there are 2 other test cricketers to take a hat trick on debut. A Pom and a Kiwi - so he is the only Aussie.

i partially agree, but swann having a crack at smith for being too unorthodox for English pitches.

pups response should have been;

“smithies a stayer, we expect him to stick it out no matter how hard things get and be there for his teammates for the whole series.”

Steve Waugh's son has already been picked in an Australian unders team. Looks good.

wsphu

Lol at Chris Rogers, needs to stick to playing cricket

"So far, England’s reprisals since losing the Ashes 5-0 have been unconvincing.

We’ve locked up Rolf Harris and sacked our best player."

Apparently we have to watch out for Stokes because he will win the series for the Poms and will end up the greatest ever alrounder to play for England.

Time for a thread title update?

Can not ■■■■■■■ wait for the series to start, think the poms will put up a good show in the first test and we’ll paste them from then on.

Why Australia should never drop Shane Watson

Cricket Stuff
1 - He’s scored more test runs in the past year than all the batsman from Afghanistan, Ireland and the UAE, and Chris Martin combined.

2 - He has nearly as many test centuries as Marcus North

3 - He hasn’t been injured in weeks

4 - He was in pretty good form five or six years ago

5 - He kind of looks like Jaime Lannister (and bats like he sword fights from the third book), and he’s played for Tasmania

6 - He tries hard, and has even started doing his homework

7 - A lot people point out that he doesn’t take a lot of ODI wickets. This is unfair, as he also doesn’t take a lot of test wickets. Also, his role in ODI’s is to be economical rather than take wickets, and in the last two years the only Australian bowlers to have a better ODI economy rate than Watson are Johnson, Starc, Pattinson, Cummins, Doherty, Faulkner, Marsh, Hazlewood, Smith, Maxwell and probably a few others.

8 - He seems as likeable and articulate as David Warner, and he doesn’t assault lesbians

9 - He has all the foundations of a world class allrounder, and soon he’s going to hit his peak. I know people have been saying that for ten years, but this year it’s totally true.

10 - He has previously captained the side, and seems the obvious choice for captain in all formats once they finally drop Steve Smith

11 - He scores runs when the team’s under pressure. Several of them.

12 - His batting is constantly improving.
Early in his career he would get out bowled quite often. After a few years, he worked out you can block the stumps with your legs, unfortunately, he started getting a lot of LBWs. Then he worked out if you use the wooden thing in your hands, you can’t get LBW. Unfortunately, sometimes the ball flies off that and goes into a fielder’s hands. But wait until he works out you can hit the ball into the ground. He will be unstoppable.

13 - He has incriminating photos of the selectors, I assume

And finally, the biggest, strongest argument for keeping Shane Watson in the team:

14 - If he got dropped now he’ll probably retire and become Channel Nine’s new top commentator