"The Definitive Rock Album List"

Does top mean best or favourite?

1 Like

To me, they’re one and the same

Favourite…

1 Like

There’s a few on there I’ve never heard before…off to youtube I go

To me, they are not.
The Ghosts That Haunt Me - Crash Test Dummies is absolutely one of my favourite albums of all time, but I’m not even going to attempt to argue that it’s one of the best.

1 Like

But who defines what is best…to me, music is a form of art, and I’ve never let anyone tell me what is the best.

To me, the best is what I like.

I’ve seen the Mona Lisa up close…“experts” tell me it’s one of the great masterpieces…to me, it’s a very small painting of a rather plain woman.

I’m pretty sure that my top ten (see further up) would not be agreed upon by anyone on here (and probably very few people anywhere)…buts it’s my top ten…not anyone elses.

1 Like

I’ve just finished perusing the link in the OP and come up with 416 albums, at least 95% of which I have in my collection. The further down the pages I went, the fewer I knew and there were many artists I’d never heard of towards the end.

A list like this is always going to be subjective and no two people will ever agree on any ranking, but I found that some albums were rated ridiculously highly and others risibly low. There were also some artists with outstanding albums that weren’t even mentioned.

Still, it’s a bit of fun!

2 Likes

It’s pretty funny that The Wreck is in the same room.

Edit: which some may know better as a Pogues album cover. :wink:

1 Like

Exactly

I’d guess Kevin Gilbert might be something you’d like… a bit proggy, a bit Peter Gabriel-ish… a concept album about the rise and fall of an aspiring singer-songwriter. Some of the references are a little dated now (it was released in the late 90’s), but his skewering of the music biz is spot-on…

1 Like

I had a similar experience. Back in the early seventies wherever I went someone would put on Astral Weeks at some point, and I would hear it and think, “Oh, not that thing again,” and could not understand what anyone could see in it.

Then one day it clicked. The first song that I got into was Slim Slow Slider, that now I think is the weakest on the album. But from that one I quickly discovered the rest of it. It’s all great. The one I listen to most of all is Ballerina, but the title song and Cypress Avenue and Madam George and Sweet Thing and The Way Young Lovers Do … I never get tired of any of them.

I’ve always especially loved the bass, which is a proper acoustic double-bass, not an electric bass guitar. I read somewhere not long ago something written by someone who was at the recording sessions, which said that it was the bass player who led the musicians, and it’s always seemed like that to me. It’s the best bass playing I’ve ever heard.

3 Likes

QOTSA - Songs for the Deaf

Comes in at 190.

Should be in the top 100. It’s the best Rock’n Roll album of the last 20 years.

3 Likes

The same thing happened to me with Miles Davis’s “Kind Of Blue” which is frequently cited as one of the greatest albums of all time.

I’m not much of jazz fan and the first few listens left me underwhelmed but one day I heard it played loudly on an excellent stereo system and finally “got it”.

Neu! at 375?!? FMD.

It all gets a bit silly in the thousands.

Should be prominent …

1 Like

I think that’s number 1 on @Klawdy’s list :rofl: :rofl:

interesting list. surprised to see as much aus representation as there was in an otherwise usa-heavy list.

ticked off 500 exactly, but should be more if not for a dodgy memory. i’ve definitely heard albums from like frank zappa/mothers of invention and sonic youth, but stuffed if i can remember what they’re called.

1 Like

I hit 196, which isn’t many. Own about 75% of them on vinyl or CD. My problem is, there are a lot of Aussie artists that I enjoy who were barely if even acknowledged. And given how loosely they have defined Rock, noting at least three albums I saw in that list were more country than rock, there are plenty of other bands around the world that would qualify as well. Christ, even ABBA would have. Icehouse, Hoodoo Gurus, Daddy Cool, Mondo Rock, Little River Band, Men At Work, Divinyls, Australian Crawl, Hunters and Collectors, Skyhooks, Jimmy barnes, Choirboys, Boom Crash Opera, Wendy Matthews, Jo Jo Zep, Black Sorrows, Rose Tattoo, The Angels, The Church… The list goes on and on. Just because some wanker in the US or UK has never heard of a band, doesn’t necessarily mean that band hasn’t put together a great album. Pretentious twats if you ask me.

2 Likes

I find that most of these lists are made by “pretentious twats” as you so eloquently put it. :rofl:

And Australian acts are rarely mentioned beyond Nick Cave (who seems to do well on a lot of the lists I see) and occasionally Midnight Oil, INXS and The Church (or a few otherbands that had overseas success)

Maybe we should gather a group of “pretentious Australian twats” to develop a locally influenced list.

The only question there is “Where would we find such a group of pretentious twats” :rofl: :rofl:

2 Likes