"The Definitive Rock Album List"

Who doesn’t love Tulips On Their Organ? You’re weird if you don’t.

2 Likes

Human Frailty and East are in there.
Around the 1600-1799 mark.

Stoneage Romeos #1422.
It’s a giggle, those late albums.
Not just seeing the Aussie ones, but just seeing some of the trash grouped in with great records.

Edit: page 33 is an absolute trip.

It must be pretty hard to come up with a list of 3475 albums in the first place.

I’ve recently worked out that I’ve listed to just under 1900 albums over the years…and quite a few of them were “poor” to put it politely.

I’m a big Jarmusch fan (and Iggy) but haven’t had the chance to see that one.

1 Like

https://discourse.bomberblitz.com/u

2 Likes

Harsh…and overweight as I am, I’m still not big enough to be a group…would you care to join the group? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I mentioned it in the Concerts and Gigs thread. But I just finished watching the live stream of Incubus 20th year anniversary of Morning View. Now that’s a great album!

Pistols at 10 yeah OK but Dylan never wrote a rock song ever and Radiohead only just maybe. Pistols to 7th at least.

P.S. Dead Kennedys crap all over all of them

Love Superman’s song
So of course I bought “God shuffled his feet” instead of this album. As you do.
And it’s a great album as well.

1 Like

I just find all of the lyrics so evocative on that album.
I like the cover of Androgynous way more than the original, and even as a cover more than a decade later it still seems ahead of its time.
But then I’ll go into bat for the worst of the tracks.
For me it’s the cosiest of blankets of albums.

1 Like

The bass player is Richard Davis. Pretty sure he produced the album as well. Hes one of the greatest Jazz bassists ever. Very underrated talent.

Here he is with Elvin Jones. Heavy Sounds. Probably the coolest record cover ever…

5 Likes

As I was just saying to wim above. I think the work of Richard Davis on the album is what seperates it from a standard rock/folk album.

1 Like

That cover is brilliant. I need to give this a listen.

1 Like

This is up there, for album covers.

2 Likes

This thread has prompted me to read about the recording of it again. It seems pretty clear that he didn’t have much to do with the other musicians and kept to himself most of the time, and also that he didn’t like the strings that had been added, presumably by the producer.

I’m sure those things are true, but I find both of them quite amazing considering the way the album sounds. Van Morrison sounds in his singing and guitar playing as though he is 100% right into the music that the others are making, and personally I think the strings are fantastic. They’re not the standard heavy layer of sound plastered over the top of and more or less obliterating everything else, it’s one or two violins playing lines that are completely in sync with the whole mood and sound of everything else and add yet another layer of complexity to the web of music that the band is creating. I listened to the title track this morning, and I can’t imagine it being anywhere near as good without the violins playing that exquisite slow ascent and hover and descent through the concluding part of the song.

2 Likes

100 % agree. Should probably not be in a thread about ‘rock’ but you might enjoy (if you like evocative melancholic strings in music) ‘River Man’ by Nick Drake. Lots of strings elsewhere on that album (Five Leaves Left). Not on my favourite song Three Hours, but the bass and bongos go well with the amazing acoustic guitar. Man in. Shed is great too.

2 Likes

The Fly and Northern Skies for me.
I always felt more emotionally attached to Bryter Layter. Again, favourite doesn’t mean best.

Yeah I think northern sky is a great pop song - unusually positive! Fly is great too - so raw. He Had terrible depression; when you listen to Black Eyed Dog it’s almost frightening. Fruit Tree is sadly ironic - became a cult figure after death. Luckily for me my brother got all his records mid 70s.

1 Like

I think he sold something like 10-15k copies total while he was alive.
A mate in the late 90’s gave me cd’s of Bryter Layter and 12 Golden Country Greats saying they’d be right up my street.
He was right about one of them.

1 Like