The deliberate OOB rule

They could build a high perspex fence all around the boundary line so the ball will just bounce back and stay in play…sort of like ice hockey.

6 Likes

Everyone knows why those wires are above the MCG… it’s how they’ll drop the ball to start multiball mode during time-on. Multiball will make it harder for teams to slow the play and waste time.

2 Likes

I know. Let’s just get rid of the boundary line altogether. Put padding around on the fences and it’s play on unless the ball goes over the fence in which case it’s a free kick.
Oh hangon. Can you make ads padded?

2 Likes

We better be careful guys. The AwFuL might just be stupid enough to take some of these ideas and implement them. We might then be watching the game with high perspex advertised padded walls with multi footballs.

1 Like

It would be an goldmine for pillow and mattress companies.

Oh, and Bet365 of course, they’ll find a way to make it work. “Need a lie down? Then Bet365s bonus-double-mega-resting bet is for you!”

3 Likes

2 Likes

Spot on. Every now and then there was a howler, but yeah, generally it was fine.

1 Like

I reckon if it goes over into the crowd, we should be able to fight over the ball - the players will just have to wait till we can get a clear kick from the aisle.

2 Likes

I know it’s wrong, but my inner boy Wim would freaking love it if the boundary line was replaced with padded walls.
I wanna see Tippa bump some scoundrel (fuck the censor) into it, and since they’re padded it’s okay, right?
And I want to see trickshots off the wall.
And I’m not even sorry.

2 Likes

Just go full bouncy castle. What a speccy!

1 Like

Way behind on this topic, so sorry if it has become a pun thread and I’m doing it wrong…

All rules that ask an umpire to read a players minds are stuffed.

The clock stops when the ball is out of bounds and the team that was in possession has given that away to a 50/50 contest

A player ignoring a ball running towards the boundary and appealing to the ump for a free is a million times worse look than a player executing a “kick for touch” (to use a rugby term) perfectly.

Ditch the rule in any incarnation. The obsession with “continuous play” has led to one rubbish rule after another.

2 Likes

Gotta be one-handed off the wall though

2 Likes

A Simple rule to fix it would be that if you kick out of defence and it goes over the boundry line with in the 50mt ark area, it is a single point to the oppostion, always. bouncing over or on the full. Delibrate or not.
No need to make delibiration, and lots of incentive to kick it more into the corridor.

Between the 2 50mtr mark area make a zone where kicks can not land on the full in, say about 8mtrs away from the boundry, unless a player is in the area it lands. (break it up into segments.)

Geelong won premierships from been the quickest to exploit the new rule changes. This is why I farking hate them so much. Sure they had talent, but been able to identify and exploit the new rules is a big part as to why they won those flags. If you dont believe me go back and watch one game and you soon will.

Now every team is looking at ways to exploit any new rule changes, as if they don’t they know other teams will “Geelong” them first.

The AFL should have just left them alone, it just makes a mockery of the game, and makes a game that is almost impossible to umpire correctly even harder.

Pay the really obvious ones, not the others, just like it used to be.

Not to mention getting away with PED use, … like Farkthorn & the Lions did.

1 Like

Is 150% like word-wrap, and so you only half agree with him?

edit - you went too far, Deck.

I’ll stop you right there. Every single time Hodge, Ziebell or Franklin get rubbed out, there’s been a huge reaction to it, so this clearly isn’t right.

All of these ‘continuous’ free kicks are why free kicks have dropped from about 80-85 a game (in the 70s) to about 35-40 a game in recent years yeah?

Again, this is clearly and demonstrably wrong. You’re remembering the good bits of old-timey footy and forgetting the worst bits.

1 Like

I’m pretty sure advantage free kicks are still free kicks.
The halving of free kicks since the seventies is an actual thing.
Not saying it was better. It was very stop-start. It would be weird to see that today with the zones and presses and such.

And people used to punch people in the head in the seventies and eighties.
Not jumper punches, actual punches.
That there are a few protected species running around doesn’t change the fact that football is much cleaner than it was.

So, in summary, wut?

1 Like

That none of the historical point’s made (some of which are interesting) has got anything to do with the interpretation of DOOB rule as it stands now.

It’s s h i t f u l and farking stupid, and for what, just to keep the game moving.

what’s gonna be next ?, no defenders/defence, only mids, forwards, etc, gotta keep the game moving at all costs? :angry:

rant over

1 Like