The Dog Thread

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/victoria/the-12-strays-of-christmas-looking-for-a-home-in-2018/news-story/bfd3333de6586cf42d450ef1e9716543

BEAR — ANIMAL AID

SEX: Male

BREED: Mastiff cross

Enthusiastic, energetic and intelligent, Bear is suited to a mature household committed to his ongoing training.

BUTTERCUP & SHORTCAKE — LOST DOGS’ HOME

SEX: Both female

BREED: Maltese Shih tzu cross

Best of buddies, needing a home together.

GRACIE — ANIMAL AID

SEX: Female

BREED: Rottweiler

Gentle and affectionate. Would suit an only-dog household who will give her love.

VIVIAN — SAVE-A-DOG

SEX: Female

BREED: Boxer cross

Full of puppy energy, needs a busy family and another dog.

(just a few pics). If I could I would bring them all home with me. When friends say they are looking a dog I usually say they should check animal shelters first.

4 Likes

Remember, a dog’s not just for christmas.

They’re delicious any time of year.

8 Likes

Whoooose a widdle bo bo

5 Likes

He’s not so little anymore (excuse the earthworks in the backdrop. Putting in some terraced garden beds)

7 Likes

Whose the other dog in the pic @Mex?

Looks like you were taking a loving photo of your favourite beer, but ■■■■■■ up the shot.

2 Likes

Big sister Bella

9 Likes

Was the most recent pic I had but was showing the beer at the end of a hard days digging

That’s your sister!

Hey Zeus!

1 Like

He’s a big boy now! Looks a perfect place for a dog. Big sis is gorgeous - they are obviously comfortable with each other.

1 Like

She is a cutie :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

She obviously got the looks in the family

2 Likes

She’s very cute.

1 Like

After previously deciding on a shiba-inu for my family (wife & 7-year-old son), I’ve changed my mind & am now considering a staffy.

A few mates have staffys back in OZ & I have always found them to be super-friendly during my visits. I welcome & appreciate any advice on staffys as a breed (from personal experience). Cheers in advance.

1 Like

not big on any breed of Bull Terrier myself, . but if I had to choose, . it’d definitely be a Staffy.

1 Like

Merry Christmas and geez I’m pis$ed off

5 Likes

One of my boys has Shiba Inus, the other an American Staffy.
Chalk & cheese, really. Totally opposite kind of dogs. The Staffy is a very family-orientated, friendly, at times boisterous, loyal dog. Generalising, of course. The Shibas are flighty, very intelligent, not very sociable but loyal to a select few, and almost resemble cats in many of their habits.

1 Like

You will not be sorry if you get a Staffy, they are very loving and loyal and protective.

They HAVE to be another member of the family, they will not tolerate just being the dog in the family. :slightly_smiling_face:

They only have one coat so they don’t shed as much as other dogs, but because of this they feel the cold more. They like nothing better than just being with you. Although they love the whole family, they will know instinctively who is master of the household and that one will be their world.

Although both male or female are active and strong, female Staffy’s are bit more subdued, but that also comes down to the nature of the dog.

My current dog is a Staffy, she 17 years old and I love her dearly. She has cataracts and is partially deaf, has slowed down a lot, still loves her walks and knows when it’s time to go before I do. :slightly_smiling_face:

She came into my life when she was 7 years old, from a life where she wasn’t mistreated but she had never been loved. It took quite a while for her to learn that she was going to be loved in our household. Once she got this she settled in.

My previous dog was a female Staffy also, loved her dearly too, unfortunely she had a brain tumour and passed away😢 at 9 years of age.

5 Likes

Cheers, Decks.

I recall our earlier discussion on your son’s Shiba-Inus. And from further reading, I realised that they generally dislike being picked up/touched, etc. Very independent, but not the most sociable breed.

I want more of a family-oriented dog that enjoys the attention & is more sociable within our family, etc. A staffy is a good size - given our lack of land.

They are not tall - but they are ‘big’ if you know what I mean. They have a presence, are built like a tank, can easily bowl a child over, etc. English Staffy?

1 Like