The Dog Thread

Sorry to hear that the surgery has not gone as well as expected for Hurley. This thread is truly the most joyous & heartbreaking one on Blitz. Have not had your surgery with any of ours but totally understand the “what is going on” look.

1 Like

Ella didn’t have a tail, so that rule would’ve been difficult to follow… :smiley:
When she could no longer manage the one-step up to the backdoor and began routinely falling over in the process, I knew it was time…
She spent the last couple of years on monthly painkiller shots, and a daily diet of glucosamine/chondroitin tablets.

2 Likes

There are not many of us here who have had to take our beloved dog for their final visit to the Vet, who do not leave with their head lowered and tears running down their face. I laid on the floor with my dog with my arms wrapped around her. I did not want to let her go, even though I knew, it was the right thing to do. It didn’t stop the terrible pain I was feeling and the emptiness I sometimes still feel now.

12 Likes

Oscar, the dog in my avatar, died on our lounge room floor, with his head in my lap and Darli beside him, and we stroked him, and talked to him for a good 10 minutes after he died.

16 Likes

After the rain

12 Likes

Same with our dobe Zac. It’s therapeutic to see them at peace, but heartbreaking to know that your time together is over.

7 Likes

Covid related Quote from Twitter:

• our dog thinks we quit our jobs to be with them
  • our cat thinks we got sacked for being the losers it always knew we were.
12 Likes

l once saw the difference between cats and dogs explained.
Dogs; people feed me and care for me, l think they must be gods.
Cats; people feed me and care for me, they must think l am a god.

Sounds about right.

4 Likes

Hurley went back to the vet today for a full check up with scans. It seems the operation didn’t go well, as we thought, with the joint being to loose, causing the clunking sound. The vet has said out of the 300 operations they have done like this only 2 or 3 have come up with a loose joint like Hurley’s, so a bit unlucky.

Good news is that everything is in place, just the joint is too loose. The vet has been great though and only charged minimum for the day today.

His suggestion is to do the other operation which is adding nylon straps to help strengthen the joint, this is the common CCL operation and is usually around $1500 and he will do it for only the costs of the medication which will be around $400-$500.

I will have to wait another 6 weeks to have this procedure so they can drill through the bone and plate which is in there. Having both procedures present I am hoping this will give him the best chance of some normality.

I can start him on small 10 minutes walks and have bought a Halti to keep him braced when walking.

Reckon he’s out for the season though, no sugar coating this injury.

15 Likes

hope he gets a good preseason next year

3 Likes

Anyone here had any experience with their dog/s re Canine Cognitive Dysfunction/Dog Dementia.

My girl has just been put on Selegiline by the vet (used for humans with dementia as well). Took me ages to work out what was wrong, her demeanor had changed, paced the house crying/whining, got the shakes and had anxiety. She has always had separation anxiety so just thought perhaps it was getting worse.

Just wanting to know if the medication worked.

Not sure about dogs, miss ellie.

When my cat was over anxious and hyped up, she responded well to Moggydon.

2 Likes

You could try children’s liquid Valium. I used it with my dog’s and it works wonders for separation anxiety without ill effects. You only need a couple of drops, depending on the size of the dog. Also Rescue Remedy spray on their tongue. You need a script either from as vet or a Doctor for the Valium which is dairy free. I also took some myself, we all were happy and relaxed. I have it as my Doctor writes me a script for it as a muscle relaxant.

Thanks @mdso :slightly_smiling_face:

Fk that’s fny

2 Likes

Update on Hurley, hadn’t been much difference, but I noticed walking, (or shuffling for me), with the Halti in place he used his leg a lot more. He was placing it and trying a more meaning walk.

So now 10 days later, on our short walk up the street across the road to the park, he walked it, very slowly, he used his injured leg a lot more.

Going to gradually increase the walking, whilst keeping him away from things that set him off, its hard when you turn a corner, see another person with a dog walking and have to turn away 50 metres away, just to avoid an excitement moment between dogs.

I let him out of his pen tonight just in the room, came over ate the left overs of the smaller dogs food and went back into the pen :disappointed:

8 Likes

Can you get him doing some Swimming mate?

Throw a ball out for him to bring back or something?

Swimming maybe, it’s pretty cold down here atm, looking into hydrotherapy

2 Likes

Dedicated dog owners can match their four-legged friends thanks to Lowes’ latest clothing range.

The apparel store has launched 12 dog shirts featuring some of their best-selling flannel and Hawaiian designs and the best news is that they’ll only set you back $15.95. Canines of all sizes are catered for too, with XS to XL sizes available.

Lowes also stocks matching unisex shirts for owners, just in case you wanted to take your pet parenthood to the next level.

You’ll have admirers from streets away. Picture: Instagram @therealcharlie. Source:Supplied

You’ll be the best-dressed duo in your neighbourhood. Picture: Instagram @Lowes_Australia. Source:Supplied

One big happy and flanno-ed family. Picture: Instagram @Lowes_Australia. Source:Supplied

Keep both you and your dog warm this winter in matching flannels. Picture: Instagram @mrfudgethecavoodle. Source:Supplied

Hawaiian shirts are also available for party pooches. Picture: Instagram @the.cocker.crew.

Hawaiian shirts are also available for party pooches. Picture: Instagram @the.cocker.crew. Source:Supplied

After sharing the news on Facebook, the shirts have caught the attention of pet owners Australia-wide. Several styles and sizes are selling out and the post has received 158 reactions, 817 comments and 73 shares and counting.

“I truly hope this still exists when I get a dog because I can assure you I will make my dog and my dad match,” wrote one enthused dog owner to be.

“Could you imagine all your little ones in matching flanno??!! Would be the cutest,” commented another.

Unfortunately there’s no word on a dedicated range for cats and other pets (yet) but here are some other options to keep your furry friends dressed to the nines this winter.

Bond & Co, Deer Face Dog Pyjamas Pink Grey, $19.99

Pet pyjamas … it’s a thing. Picture: Pet Barn. Source:Supplied

Fuzzyard, Bel Air Bandana, $9.99

Simple but effective. Picture: My Pet Warehouse. Source:Supplied

Fuzzyard, Aspen Jacket in Black, prices start at $49.95

Your pooch will be ready for walkies in this coat. Picture: My Pet Warehouse. Source:Supplied

Bond & Co Floral Pom Pom Knit Dog Hat Blue Pink, $14.99 and Bond & Co Buffalo Check Dog Trapper Hat Red, $14

For the pet who has everything. Picture: Pet Barn.

For the pet who has everything. Picture: Pet Barn. Source:Supplied

Harmony Mystique, Cable Knit Dog Sweater Mint, $29.99

Woof woof. Picture: Pet Barn. Source:Supplied

Good 2 Go, Reflective Trim Puffer Dog Coat Blue, $54

You can guarantee your dog will be cosy and warm in this get-up. Picture: Pet Barn. Source:supplied

3 Likes

Ummmm … … no thanks

4 Likes