The Dog Thread

How could you possibly say NO to those talkative little eyes. What a cutey, hide your socks.

This is the best description of Loki that I could find.

Loki is a Chaos God . Actually he is good and bad, often both sides at the same time. The reason is that Loki is a complex being, although obviously a chaos god and a trickster. He is the archetypal trickster who metes out both good and bad through his love of causing chaos wherever he goes.

Or for George’s kids, Loki is Thor’s adopted, mischievous brother.

Leave out the bit about how he had sex with a stallion and then gave birth to an 8-legged horse though. Or the fact that his other children include a wolf, a giant snake the size of the world, and his own older sister.

At this stage, he’s still just a puppy. He’s chased the cat and chewed on his bed, but no stallion escapades. And given he’s already had the snip I doubt there’ll be any demented offspring in the future.

Six weeks now after surgery and went for a checkup yesterday, I had been worried, as his leg would clunk in the joint. I had expressed my concerns on his two week check up. The prognosis was wait and see at 2 weeks.

So now 6 weeks no better, he will ■■■■ his leg holding his bad leg, but still limping, the vet said it is not right. Now have to bring him back Monday so they can sedate him and check the joint.

I am a bit miffed, as I was expressing concerns early, the operation was $3500 and apparently a speedy recovery. I have done everything right and kept him quarantined in a small area, feed him cooked chicken breast every day ( along with his kibble ).

Not sure where we go from here, I have researched the net but cannot find much information on failed dog surgery’s. I so feel for him, he is confined every day and looks at me as to say why are you doing this to me.

I am lucky to be working from home, as he can sit next to me every day, but just breaks my heart that he can’t be himself.

Does anyone know what would happen next if the surgery failed, would they try to do the surgery again and then charge me again, it was the TTA surgery, which involved cutting the top of the shin bone (the tibia), moving it forward and stabilising it in its new position.

Any advice recommended

4 Likes

I’ve seen this op performed by Noel The SuperVet many times.

Only once did it not work, … but I can’t remember the outcome or what the next step was though sorry.

I do remember that there was a hell of a lot of rehab & physio involved after them all though, swimming in particular, none of which you mention as happening??

That Like is for you guys not because of what has happened.

1 Like

Unfortunately all the hydrotherapy centres closed due to the virus, they may accept mid May, been in contact since the operation.

I have not been informed of any rehab only to keep him immobilised, and to maybe start walking in weeks 6 from the guidelines from the vet.

I am a bit annoyed about the after care of such an expensive operation and the wellbeing of Hurley.

1 Like

Sounds fair. I tried to track down the Fail Episode, but no luck so far.

This search seemed to bring up quite a few links that may give you some info/direction though.

Goog Search link.

Thanks

Most of those came up as read already :wink:

1 Like

There are lots of dog’s who manage very well on three legs. I had one.

If the op hasn’t been successful, talk to your vet and ask what else is available . Consider amputation.
It is much better than your beloved pooch, being in constant pain. Dogs with three legs can do most things they used to do, except when they forget about losing the leg and lift their leg to pee and fall over. My dog lived to be 16. Still followed me everywhere, went for walks and did lots of swimming which was fantastic rehab and enjoyed life. I never regret my decision although others said they would not have spent the money, I’m glad I did what I did.

4 Likes

my Sadie is slowing down. She’s 12 and got anxiety and started weeing inside over night. Bit worried about kidney problems. Bit worried about the end coming really.

I’ve already had to put my fav dog down just before we got Sadie. He was more a mate than a dog. Problem was he had behavioural problems I can’t even begin to explain, and as daft as it sounds we understood each other. At least it felt like it.

It’s the hardest thing I’ve ever had to do. I held him in my arms as he got the shot at the vets. He sort of looked me in the eyes with this “why?” sort of look and then nodded off.

I broke down in the rooms and got carried out by my mum in law, the vet and a little assistant girl.

And I’ve set myself off just writing this…

13 Likes

There are tablets called Cerenia that are good for dog anxiety, ask your Vet. We had an Irish Setter who hated travelling the car and suffered from motion sickness and anxiety. Pills worked fine.

Have some blood tests doen to check on th ekidneys, there is some good foods and more powdes that help slow the end down.

1 Like

You’ve set me off too.

Hope the vet can find out what is wrong with your Sadie.

2 Likes

all the best mate. it is always hard when you near the end of such great freindships. i worked most of my life in the bush up in the territory and still bawled my eyes out when you say good-bye.

1 Like

He is extremely cute. Congratulations- hope you have many years of great fun & much love.

Totally understand @Sameolds2010. Very hard when you know it’s coming and you know what the kindest thing to do is, but it takes a piece of your heart that never recovers. Hopefully medication can help with kidney issues & you have many more happy days to be together

1 Like

Sorry to hear all your troubles @AnnStBomber.

Our beautiful red tricolour Aussie Shepherd Ella did both hind legs during her lifetime. Conventional surgery both times.

The first time, the incompetent vet opened the wrong leg to start with, so the poor girl was shaved and had stitches on both legs at once! They knocked down the price after much ranting from us, but that’s not the point is it? That one failed after 18m (I suspect they used too tight a replacement cruciate) and had to be redone (by another vet I hasten to add…)

The other leg (as done by the second vet) progressed much more smoothly.

The surgeries did slow her down, and she became much less bouncy. As others have noted, she suffered badly from arthritis later on, which she succumbed to in the end.

Loved that dog…

Suffice to say, if anyone wants recommendations on who to (and not to) use in the Croydon area, feel free to PM me.

1 Like

After my dog had a successful ACL op, the vet prescribed painkillers. I asked how the vet detected pain in dogs, from memory, something to do with shivering ( in addition to general behaviour)
My rule of thumb used to be that, if the dog still wagged its tail, it was not ready to go, but that’s probably wrong.