The "Earning a Living" Thread

I am about to go and have a serious “sorry but we are going to have to let you go” discussion with one of my team. The performance is bad, people don’t want to work with this person, and despite 6 months of feedback there has been no change. Regardless, I am so incredibly torn. This is a person’s livelihood.

Which brings me to what we all have to do to earn a living. And is this whole new age philosophy of “Do what you love” a pipe dream? I mean my dad came from abject poverty and worked insane hours to provide for his family. He did everything he could including working tirelessly 6-7 days a week to get a PhD, rise through the corporate ranks, and be a success. He never had the luxury of “doing what he loved” which would have been working as a micro-biologist.

Is 50 hours of emails, meetings, deadlines all there is to it and we should just accept it?

Do what they did in USSR when they wanted to get rid of some-one ( no they didn’t usually shoot them ), write a fantastic reference and help find them a new job.

My Baby Boomer generation had it much easier than my parents, and current generations in " doing what you love " as there were many jobs to choose from and more opportunities. However everyone needs to get the work / life balance in tune.

I was a micro-biologist, growing bugs and looking down a microscope is not that romantic. The only attraction for me was that most in the lab were females, and the place was so hot in summer, that some only wore their labs coats over their underwear. No I am not like D Trump.

I am about to go and have a serious "sorry but we are going to have to let you go" discussion with one of my team. The performance is bad, people don't want to work with this person, and despite 6 months of feedback there has been no change. Regardless, I am so incredibly torn. This is a person's livelihood.

Which brings me to what we all have to do to earn a living. And is this whole new age philosophy of “Do what you love” a pipe dream? I mean my dad came from abject poverty and worked insane hours to provide for his family. He did everything he could including working tirelessly 6-7 days a week to get a PhD, rise through the corporate ranks, and be a success. He never had the luxury of “doing what he loved” which would have been working as a micro-biologist.

Is 50 hours of emails, meetings, deadlines all there is to it and we should just accept it?

Oh, I like this thread already.

I’m going through something similar at the moment. I’m in a good job, one that I’m capable of doing well, and it pays well. It’s not stressful, there’s no weekend work, my boss is good to me, the people are good, and I only have a couple of direct reports. By any measure, I feel like I’m doing pretty well for myself. Particularly as I have basically learned everything I know on the job. No formal training, no education - I’ve got there through sheer ■■■■■■ mindedness and hard work.

But.

I’m bored as batshit with my job. It’s not challenging, and I don’t feel any great sense of really loving going to work.

However, I have a mortgage, 2 kids, and a wife who works part time, I don’t have the luxury of “chasing my dream’” or “doing what I love”. They rely on me putting food on the table, and keeping a roof over their heads. If I was to do what I love, I’d be chasing a career in the media, or sucking at being a stand up comedian - and neither of those are a)entirely possible in rural/regional Australia, or b) stable environments.

I think to follow your dreams, and chase your passions - you need to identify them and start the process early enough - before you go and make life altering decisions like getting married, having kids, and buying a house. Those are big commitments and responsibilities - and while I am in no way unhappy with those aspects of my life - I do sometimes wonder how different it would have been had I waited 5-10 years.

The problem is identifying your dreams and passions early enough to choose the right uni course, meet the right people etc - how many of us truly know what we want to do at the age of 17. I certainly didn’t. Hell, I’m 34 now and I’m still not 100% sure I know what I want to do with my life - other than be a good dad and husband, and keep the banks off my back.

TL;DR - No. I don’t think “doing what you love” for a career is a pipe dream. It’s not unattainable. But I think it gets harder the more responsibility/commitment you have in your life.

I spent the first 10 years of my working life (from age 14) working where I could, and keeping alive.

From then on, I have only ever had one mode - make a living doing the things I enjoy. It means sacrifice, and it means (in my case at least) often re-inventing your work to allow for your personal evolution. With regards to meeting commitments - I think the trick here, is to create your commitments intentionally, and to tailor them around your lifestyle. Not the other way around. When my kids were young and used to ask me about future jobs and such, I would give them this analogy. Imagine your future life like a throw of bowling ball. But you have the chance to walk alongside it, and gently nudge it to wherever you want it to go, as it rolls down the lane. Never forget to enjoy the walk, because if you ever get to the ‘goal’, the game is over.

I’m working in a job that I love, but only get 16 hours per week and only for 37 weeks per year. I’m happy if mostly impecunious. Can get away with it as I don’t have children.

I am about to go and have a serious "sorry but we are going to have to let you go" discussion with one of my team. The performance is bad, people don't want to work with this person, and despite 6 months of feedback there has been no change. Regardless, I am so incredibly torn. This is a person's livelihood.

Move them on. If I were ever in a job where I felt that I was incompetent, I would see myself out. Not fair on everybody else.

But.

I’m bored as batshit with my job. It’s not challenging, and I don’t feel any great sense of really loving going to work.

This struck me with ALL OF THE FEELS. I hear you mate. Same situation.

But.

This struck me with ALL OF THE FEELS. I hear you mate. Same situation.

It’s an awful feeling. But at least you have the luxury of looking around for something else whilst still maintaining your lifestyle.

Might be a good time to ask yourself some hard questions.

Best of luck!

For me its a case of working in a job that looks after me, save like crazy, and exit while my daughter is still in school so I can spend a few years with her prior to her leaving home for uni or work or whatever.

And yes Darli, completely agree that its a luxury to have that choice.

I don’t think you need to love your work. I think you need to not hate your work. Subtle but important distinction.

I don’t love my job (or my profession, really). But I’m reasonably well paid and I’m working in an area where I feel as if I’m making a bit of a difference, so that helps me not totally hate it.

I think its ideal to be in a job you love, and its noble to strive for that. But for most people, particularly those with families and the financial commitments that come with same, I think that’s not a reality. And I think that’s OK, if your job doesn’t consume your life and you have time/money/opportunity to persue your passions outside of work.

I view my job as my hobby, and vice versa.

I view my job as my hobby, and vice versa.
Blitz posting?

Nah, the pay is crap - and the hours are way too long!

If people don’t want to work with this person, you’ve tried to give them the feedback they need and nothing changes you move them on without hesitation. I’ve done this in my business after 1 day cause it was clear the person wasn’t who I expect them to be.

Ignoring others that don’t want to work with this person is just as bad a reflection of you and you never know, this might be the wake up call that other person needs to improve at his next job.

If you were in the position to let someone go because of downturn or because you staff cutting that was out of your hands then that’s something that’s difficult.

Opportunity knocks.

Essendon seeking new club mascot but applicants warned it can be a hot job

Herald Sun
January 25, 2017 11:13am
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/essendon/essendon-seeking-new-club-mascot-but-applicants-warned-it-can-be-a-hot-job/news-story/b7967eb1636a0c89780b25f3fd2949c3

EVER wondered what qualifications or attributes are required to be an AFL mascot?
Well, now we know — at least at Bomberland.

Footy fans, and more particularly those of the red and black persuasion, have the chance to nab the job of a lifetime with Essendon announcing its searching for a new mascot.

HISTORY: How AFL clubs got their names

Known as ‘Skeeta’ (full name Skeeta Reynolds and named after club legend Dick Reynolds), the Bombers are looking for the right person to join their marketing team with a focus of the gig to engage with fans and promote the club.

But if you think the job sounds simple, be aware — it comes with its challenges, as Essendon revealed in its advertisement.

SC_NowOpen_650x90_AFL-ks5C-CustomAsset-650x90.png

While mascot experience is of value for any prospective Skeeta, it is not essential. But an ability to work under trying circumstances is.

The “ability to perform for at least three hours at a time” means a high level of fitness is required, but what might catch the eye for any potential applicants was the “ability to perform under high heat, restrictive outfits and impaired vision”.

Yes, as one might expect, it gets hot in those suits — and it can be tough to see.

A mascot from a club with a fierce rivalry dating back to the mid ‘80s confirmed it was paramount that potential candidates have the “ability to perform under high heat, restrictive outfits and impaired vision” — as the Bombers’ ad states.

Maybe that explains why club mascots sometimes get a little hot under the collar with one another before games?

The trick is to lower your expectations. My partner and I are both able to work and “do what we love” because we don’t aspire to lifestyles that wealthy people have.

The trick is to lower your expectations. My partner and I are both able to work and "do what we love" because we don't aspire to lifestyles that wealthy people have.

Hmmm.
Not too sure about this.
I don’t know if you have kids - but if you do/not/yet, how would the advice you give them go?

The trick is to lower your expectations. My partner and I are both able to work and "do what we love" because we don't aspire to lifestyles that wealthy people have.

Hmmm.
Not too sure about this.
I don’t know if you have kids - but if you do/not/yet, how would the advice you give them go?

Live within your means. If you have to work your ■■■ off just to meet minimum obligations, find a way to remove some of those obligations.

We live in a small apartment that hasn’t been renovated since the Whitlam era. 95% of what we own is second hand. Gifts to family/friends are homemade. We eat very basic, healthy meals. We travel a lot, but we can afford to do so.

I could get a job that pays more, but it would also probably mean I don’t get to leave at 4pm each day and do things that I want to do.

Hmmm.
Not too sure about this.

Live within your means. If you have to work your ■■■ off just to meet minimum obligations, find a way to remove some of those obligations.

We live in a small apartment that hasn’t been renovated since the Whitlam era. 95% of what we own is second hand. Gifts to family/friends are homemade. We eat very basic, healthy meals. We travel a lot, but we can afford to do so.

I could get a job that pays more, but it would also probably mean I don’t get to leave at 4pm each day and do things that I want to do.

That sounds good to me :slight_smile:
What is generally considered currency, is in my opinion, the wrong currency to be caring about.

Oh, I like this thread already.

I’m going through something similar at the moment. I’m in a good job, one that I’m capable of doing well, and it pays well. It’s not stressful, there’s no weekend work, my boss is good to me, the people are good, and I only have a couple of direct reports. By any measure, I feel like I’m doing pretty well for myself. Particularly as I have basically learned everything I know on the job. No formal training, no education - I’ve got there through sheer ■■■■■■ mindedness and hard work.

But.

However, I have a mortgage, 2 kids, and a wife who works part time, I don’t have the luxury of “chasing my dream’” or “doing what I love”. They rely on me putting food on the table, and keeping a roof over their heads. If I was to do what I love, I’d be chasing a career in the media, or sucking at being a stand up comedian - and neither of those are a)entirely possible in rural/regional Australia, or b) stable environments.

I think to follow your dreams, and chase your passions - you need to identify them and start the process early enough - before you go and make life altering decisions like getting married, having kids, and buying a house. Those are big commitments and responsibilities - and while I am in no way unhappy with those aspects of my life - I do sometimes wonder how different it would have been had I waited 5-10 years.

The problem is identifying your dreams and passions early enough to choose the right uni course, meet the right people etc - how many of us truly know what we want to do at the age of 17. I certainly didn’t. Hell, I’m 34 now and I’m still not 100% sure I know what I want to do with my life - other than be a good dad and husband, and keep the banks off my back.

TL;DR - No. I don’t think “doing what you love” for a career is a pipe dream. It’s not unattainable. But I think it gets harder the more responsibility/commitment you have in your life.

Are you me posting under another name?..pretty much exactly how I feel except I’m a few years older than 34 :slight_smile:

My 23yo son is currently in a job he doesn’t particularly like but he earns good money, I keep telling him to change and find something he at least likes while he has no commitments and is still living at home otherwise he’ll end up like his old man doing a job he’s good at but doesn’t particularly like so he can pay the mortgage and keep food on the table.