The "Earning a Living" Thread

I don't think you need to love your work. I think you need to not hate your work. Subtle but important distinction.

I don’t love my job (or my profession, really). But I’m reasonably well paid and I’m working in an area where I feel as if I’m making a bit of a difference, so that helps me not totally hate it.

I think its ideal to be in a job you love, and its noble to strive for that. But for most people, particularly those with families and the financial commitments that come with same, I think that’s not a reality. And I think that’s OK, if your job doesn’t consume your life and you have time/money/opportunity to persue your passions outside of work.

Pretty much this. Going to work everyday hating what you do is awful

So the conversation was had. Went as expected. Have to go through the official process etc.

Additionally, I think the goal is to find purpose in what you end up doing and having a job that allows you to support your family is a decent start.

Do what you need to do, then do what you want to do.

My adult job career(s)
2007-2011: electrical apprenticeship
Did it cos I didn’t know what to do in high school (well, wanted to do physio but didn’t want to go to uni. Funny looking back now which you will see later) and had 2 uncles who are electricians
2011: did cert 3/4 in fitness but never took it on full time as I had no introduce in the bread and butter weight loss clients (again, wanted to do a uni job but didn’t want to go to uni)
2011-2013: worked in a warehouse for a company selling gym equipment, worked my way up from ■■■■ kicker to being in charge or dispatch and inwards goods and overall really enjoyed working there
Second half of 2013: went travelling and ended up working for 6 months in a hostel on the beach in San Diego (mostly doing night shift behind the desk or dodgy security work on party nights). Was fun but began to drag a little bit once it got to winter
2014-2015: went back to the gym equipment company straight into my old role, had intentions of starting up a small gym but got really sick of the role about 18 months in so decided to quit (company went from a nice family, everyone got along feel to being pretty ‘everyone’s just a number’. If it weren’t for the individuals I worked with each day I would’ve lasted about a week)
2016: went back to study full time (ha!) to get a diploma (again, wasn’t 100% sure on what to study and didn’t want to go to uni so used the diploma as an entry/gateway to something). Stayed on as a casual at my old job until they liquidated in June
2017: currently about 4 working days from getting my diploma, and 12 months worth of RPL off a 3 year bachelor degree, with the intention to do another bachelor or post-grad after (hopefully using the diploma to work in the mean time otherwise Army Reserves it is)

So basically, it’s taken over a decade, but I’m finally going to be doing (close to) what I wanted to in high school lol

Been pretty lucky that I’ve been able to move back in with one of the folks whenever I’ve needed to save $$$ eg for the trip in 2013, going back to study

Have posted this before but really like the quote “some people are so poor all they have is money”
Could quite happily live on scraps (and have/are). Roof of any sorts over my head, food to fill my stomach is really all I need to be happy. And if it weren’t for my career (and lifting) ambitions I’d probably still be travelling or living in a camper somewhere in QLD working odd jobs or in bars

Great point Eastie. The mrs and I went through the exercise of really looking at the bare minimum we would need to survive. And yes, that would mean leaving San Francisco (more expensive than New York) but one can have a very fulfilling and decent lifestyle if one just makes the right choices.

I will be honest. Having a child does complicate things in that you don’t want to force ‘sacrifices’ on them. But everything I have learnt is that children too need little apart from basic necessities and the undivided, unflinching love and attention of their parents. I see a lot of my acquaintances who make well in the high triple figures due to both parents working. Despite the obvious luxuries their kids are being raised by nannies and their lives are full of stress.

I want no part of that.

Economic stress is a lot harder when you have kid(s). When you’re just starting out living in a one bedroom flat can be kind of cool, but with kids you’re worrying about everything from school fees to whether your kid is the only one without the ‘right’ shoes.
But going to work every day to a job you friggin’ hate, whether you’ve told anyone else about it or not, or that you know in your heart you’re not very good at or are simply not right for, that’s no sort of justification for a little more money.
It’s not good for you, and it’s not good for your family.
Fffs, tell your partner (ffs), work together at looking at other options, and get the hell out of there.

Sometimes you have to tweak and compromise your dreams. I’d love to be a university professor, earning a packet, stand up in front of students only a few times a week, spending the rest of my time writing bestselling novels and research articles and giving presentations at all expenses paid overseas conferences.

But instead I cobble together a bunch of nicely-paid part-time courses, load up on work eight to nine months of the year, and spend the other months with my family, taking care of the house, occasional trips. I ditched most of my hobbies and nights out because the expenses didn’t help. We have enough to get by comfortably and put some away for the our future (my wife works too).

I don’t really do exactly what I wanna do, but I do enough to enjoy life and take care of my parent/husband responsibilities. I’d love to study for a PhD, but I did manage to get a Masters to bump me up into a good pay bracket (hard work doing full-time and studying every evening, but the best thing I ever did). I’d love to write novels, but instead I’m using my teaching resources to develop a textbook, and I use my personal time to write freelance articles about beer (“honey, I bought and am drinking this expensive craft beer for RESEARCH”). It’s writing of some sort, so I’m placated. I’d love to have kept all my hobbies and manly belongings but that would’ve been selfish to take from my family. Just a little here and there to reward myself and keep me sane.

It’s plenty, and I prefer to be glass half full. Especially when I have friends who perhaps haven’t been as savvy or thrifty, have made a few bad choices or maybe didn’t make the right choices when they presented themselves. It’s hard to see friends struggle, but it does let me know I’m doing ok at this life survival thing.

Letting go of hobbies is one thing that has definitely been hard. First surfing, then golf. However, I have fallen in love with photography which gives me a creative outlet. Given that most of it can be done on my smart phone it is also faster than stepping on to a golf course or hitting the waves.

That said, I definitely hope to get my daughter into golf or surfing if not both. Will give me a water-tight excuse to partake myself!

Don’t HOPE!!

DOOOoooo!!!

Letting go of hobbies is one thing that has definitely been hard. First surfing, then golf. However, I have fallen in love with photography which gives me a creative outlet. Given that most of it can be done on my smart phone it is also faster than stepping on to a golf course or hitting the waves.

That said, I definitely hope to get my daughter into golf or surfing if not both. Will give me a water-tight excuse to partake myself!

Surfing isn’t too bad $$$ wise unless you’re going through boards regularly
Golf on the other hand lol

Haunt the Garage sales, I’ve gotten a few good sets for around a hundred bucks.

Cut down 2 of them for my boys, that really isn’t hard to do.

Pro shop wanted twice what I’d paid for the set to do it, but a soft jaw vice, a hacksaw, and some studiously sourced new grips made it about $50 bucks done.

Only start hitting for expensive ones if there’s talent & or passion.

I heard a saying the other day that made me nod in agreement

“I’d rather have one kid with 6 pairs of shoes than 6 kids with 1 pair”

Just thoughtI’d share…

Doing what you love and living the dream are noble pursuits, and kudos to those who manage to achieve such things. It can be a bit ‘grass is always greener’ though, especially if you still work for some other c*nt, and have to be at a certain place at a certain time, and can’t leave until a certain time… Doesn’t matter what you’re doing, it all begins to feel like work after a while.

The other issue with doing what you love for a living, is that you might find that it disminishes the love you have for the particular thing.

I’ve chased (and fallen painfully short) on two big dreams in my life that sadly are now pretty much dead to me. I got burnt out by them, and now I just cannot derive enjoyment from them, no matter how much I try to.

But after spending my teenage years, and then my twenties chasing dreams, I’ve spent my thirties doing then exact opposite; I work night shift in a factory. I clock on, I work, I clock off, I go home, and every minute I’m there they pay me. I don’t go home and lose sleep over what’s my next career move, I don’t stress about bosses / customers, I don’t even think about the place again until I clock on, I don’t have to sit through meetings, I drive 6 minutes to work in zero traffic, I earn more than I ever have… It has its perks, and I’m probably happier emotionally now, than when I was doing really enjoyable work for minimal results back in my twenties. Now, I should state that the whole reason I made this change was because I met a girl, we got married, bought a house and had a baby, so money suddenly became a real factor.

But I still pursue somewhat of a writing dream on the side, and despite watching my spare time quickly disappear with parenting duties, I still manage to find time to do it, even if I did have to cut one avenue out. And best of all, I still enjoy it.

TLDR: There is no shame in just earning a living because circumstances dictate it, but it doesn’t mean you can’t also still do what you love in your spare time. You might even enjoy it more that way.

Mate of mine was obsessed with the AFL. Was a successful lawyer but miserable. We went to graduate school together and straight out of it he got a dream offer of joining an AFL club in commercial management. About 18 months later I was back in Oz and the Bombers were playing his employer so I asked him for tickets which he very generously provided. When I met him to get the tickets at Docklands I could barely recognize him. He was stressed out of his mind and looked really unhappy. The dream industry/job wasn’t what he had hoped for. The politics and pressure were insane. And, senior management was not exactly upfront with intentions. Much like any corporate gig.

6 months after that he left and joined a less stressful, more fulfilling, non-profit role where he has been for the last 10 years.

Mate of mine was obsessed with the AFL. Was a successful lawyer but miserable. We went to graduate school together and straight out of it he got a dream offer of joining an AFL club in commercial management. About 18 months later I was back in Oz and the Bombers were playing his employer so I asked him for tickets which he very generously provided. When I met him to get the tickets at Docklands I could barely recognize him. He was stressed out of his mind and looked really unhappy. The dream industry/job wasn't what he had hoped for. The politics and pressure were insane. And, senior management was not exactly upfront with intentions. Much like any corporate gig.

6 months after that he left and joined a less stressful, more fulfilling, non-profit role where he has been for the last 10 years.

A non-profit role like North Melbourne or St Kilda?

1 Like

Boards are a significant cost in surfing. But if you live in Melbourne and are day tripping a 100-150 km drive to a wave, the cost of petrol and car wear and tear/ servicing will soon outstrip the cost of a decent second hand board. But it’s a great sport especially if you can get somewhere less crowded and where the waves suit the whole family. Spending $30-40 on petrol to line up in a congested take off zone with a heap of younger, fitter, better (and snakier) surfers is little fun.

Boards are a significant cost in surfing. But if you live in Melbourne and are day tripping a 100-150 km drive to a wave, the cost of petrol and car wear and tear/ servicing will soon outstrip the cost of a decent second hand board. But it’s a great sport especially if you can get somewhere less crowded and where the waves suit the whole family. Spending $30-40 on petrol to line up in a congested take off zone with a heap of younger, fitter, better (and snakier) surfers is little fun.

You need to move out of the City mate.

Had similar to this in the vid at Willies this morning, only me & 2 mates out there to enjoy it, and just 5 mins down the road.

We have NBN down here now if that helps the cause??

I work so I can pay the mortgage and enjoy my days not at work.
I have a kid so I miss going to work and sending them to day care. And I hope it is worth it.
I get approx. 80K + super and have a modest house with a small mortgage $130k hope to have it paid off in 5 years.
We could upgrade Kitchen/bathroom, but it just doesn’t make financial sense to do it at the moment.
Would also love to get a shack, but it makes no financial sense to go into more debt for 4 weeks a year holidays. plus there is more of Australia I wan to see.
I have no idea how people manage with the stress of a 300+k loan. I also don’t understand why so many people live beyond their means and live from pay check to pay check on wages of 100k+

Also I know down the track I and possibly my wife (If her parents stop going on expensive holidays every year) may get a small inheritance, so there is a bit of we should live a bit now, as whats the use of a 200+k inheritance when im 60. But you cant guarantee you will get anything either.

To be honest there isn’t really a job I would love. Unless I became a elite marathon runner / AFL player / tennis player (too old now) Its just all work to me.

And if I won tattslotto would probably give up work, but understand need something to do to keep the mind active.

Work life balance is something that a number of my friends do. some do 8 weeks holiday on 1/2 pay rather than 4. some do 4 day work weeks. And there is some research that you are more productive on a four day week.
It is hard balance Debt with living.

I also don’t understand why so many people live beyond their means and live from pay check to pay check on wages of 100k+

It’s a phenomena known as “Keeping up with the Jonses”

You need to move out of the City mate.

Had similar to this in the vid at Willies this morning, only me & 2 mates out there to enjoy it, and just 5 mins down the road.

We have NBN down here now if that helps the cause??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHrUkt4cWs0

I’ve never ‘surfed’. So unAustralian :frowning: