The "Earning a Living" Thread

Tsk tsk …

We can sort that out for you sometime if you like.

Easy as falling off a bike to start out on a shark biscuit Boogie Board

Letting go of hobbies is one thing that has definitely been hard. First surfing, then golf. However, I have fallen in love with photography which gives me a creative outlet. Given that most of it can be done on my smart phone it is also faster than stepping on to a golf course or hitting the waves.

That said, I definitely hope to get my daughter into golf or surfing if not both. Will give me a water-tight excuse to partake myself!

Surfing isn’t too bad $$$ wise unless you’re going through boards regularly
Golf on the other hand lol

Boards are a significant cost in surfing. But if you live in Melbourne and are day tripping a 100-150 km drive to a wave, the cost of petrol and car wear and tear/ servicing will soon outstrip the cost of a decent second hand board. But it’s a great sport especially if you can get somewhere less crowded and where the waves suit the whole family. Spending $30-40 on petrol to line up in a congested take off zone with a heap of younger, fitter, better (and snakier) surfers is little fun.

You need to move out of the City mate.

Had similar to this in the vid at Willies this morning, only me & 2 mates out there to enjoy it, and just 5 mins down the road.

We have NBN down here now if that helps the cause??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHrUkt4cWs0

Nice, I actually spend summers down around Waratah bay on soft bay waves with some reef breaks and prom in easterly weather. All family members surf - none well, but well enough to have fun. Did a couple walks with boards west of liptrap. Had some great (smallish and friendly) waves at various places. If I go for a dash from town it’s often kilcunda or forest caves or that area. Not so much towards powlett. I actually chatted to the Seymour brothers checking killers one day - I knew Mark a bit back in their roaring days in the 80s, through my sister. Also chatted to a brother of glyndon ringrose one day at Walkerville, he was about to get both hips done and he was hoping to surf again (couple years back), his missus looks like a supermodel…

I am a teacher.

Do I love my job? At times. Do I do it for the pay? No. I love teaching kids and seeing them develop as learners into citizens, but I can leave the amount of data that we are required to produce and paper work required week to week as it takes more time to plan and create resources, then it does to teach what is required. The average rate of teaching careers is 5 years. Most either leave due to burnout or reduce the work hours to part time once they have students. New graduates just see the ‘fun’ of teaching kids and making some activites. They dont see the amount of meetings, paperwork and assessment needed. Yes we get some decent holidays, but tbh, I would rather take a job at Woolies where I can work X amount of hours and not bring my work home with me.

I do well over 58 hours of work a week but only get paid for 38hours. Most of it is preparing data, planning, creating activities, filling out proformas, as we only get 3 hours a week during our paid hours to do all this, and meetings. I start at 8am and often leave at 4/4:30pm. I refuse to stay later unless I have to, but it took a lifestyle coach to make realise that I need to switch off at set times and try and do as little as possible on weekends or I will burn out and end up in a negative spiral of hate.

I know teachers who do work at home till 8pm. As a dad I switch off at 5pm and as soon as I get home that’s my family and my time. If I cannot get it done between the hours of 8am-4:30pm, I will try and do it through my lunch breaks and after school time the next day. Only thing I will do at home on weekends is put my data in a spreadsheet and reports.

I work mostly to make a difference and provide for my family.

I am a teacher.

Do I love my job? At times. Do I do it for the pay? No. I love teaching kids and seeing them develop as learners into citizens, but I can leave the amount of data that we are required to produce and paper work required week to week as it takes more time to plan and create resources, then it does to teach what is required. The average rate of teaching careers is 5 years. Most either leave due to burnout or reduce the work hours to part time once they have students. New graduates just see the ‘fun’ of teaching kids and making some activites. They dont see the amount of meetings, paperwork and assessment needed. Yes we get some decent holidays, but tbh, I would rather take a job at Woolies where I can work X amount of hours and not bring my work home with me.

I do well over 58 hours of work a week but only get paid for 38hours. Most of it is preparing data, planning, creating activities, filling out proformas, as we only get 3 hours a week during our paid hours to do all this, and meetings. I start at 8am and often leave at 4/4:30pm. I refuse to stay later unless I have to, but it took a lifestyle coach to make realise that I need to switch off at set times and try and do as little as possible on weekends or I will burn out and end up in a negative spiral of hate.

I know teachers who do work at home till 8pm. As a dad I switch off at 5pm and as soon as I get home that’s my family and my time. If I cannot get it done between the hours of 8am-4:30pm, I will try and do it through my lunch breaks and after school time the next day. Only thing I will do at home on weekends is put my data in a spreadsheet and reports.

I find it amazing how much ‘admin’ work there is for a teacher. Not to mention the countless meeting and committees for things you can and can’t do / say to a student.

Respect though. Someone has to teach the future.

I am a teacher.

I find it amazing how much ‘admin’ work there is for a teacher. Not to mention the countless meeting and committees for things you can and can’t do / say to a student.

There is also the usual ‘Volunteer’ things like expo’s or discos which we get told: “You dont need to assist and set up, but if you choose not to, then your students work won’t be displayed” or “If you do not assist in supervising, then we cannot run these as we are doing it for charity.” Basically guilt tripping.

In Regards to admin, you can blame the parents who want data to justify why their child is failing and how you are assisting them and the government who want answers for why we are falling behind countries with cultures that hold education and educators in high standard and want to pin the blame on the teachers and have a head to hold accountable.

We are never going to be a Korea/Finland/China/Japan unless we make big changes starting with smaller class sizes, a big cultural change in the mentality towards education and less crowded curriculum.

Letting go of hobbies is one thing that has definitely been hard. First surfing, then golf. However, I have fallen in love with photography which gives me a creative outlet. Given that most of it can be done on my smart phone it is also faster than stepping on to a golf course or hitting the waves.

That said, I definitely hope to get my daughter into golf or surfing if not both. Will give me a water-tight excuse to partake myself!

Surfing isn’t too bad $$$ wise unless you’re going through boards regularly
Golf on the other hand lol

Boards are a significant cost in surfing. But if you live in Melbourne and are day tripping a 100-150 km drive to a wave, the cost of petrol and car wear and tear/ servicing will soon outstrip the cost of a decent second hand board. But it’s a great sport especially if you can get somewhere less crowded and where the waves suit the whole family. Spending $30-40 on petrol to line up in a congested take off zone with a heap of younger, fitter, better (and snakier) surfers is little fun.

You need to move out of the City mate.

Had similar to this in the vid at Willies this morning, only me & 2 mates out there to enjoy it, and just 5 mins down the road.

We have NBN down here now if that helps the cause??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHrUkt4cWs0

I’ve never ‘surfed’. So unAustralian :frowning:

Neither have I despite my cousin, uncle and closest friends being avid surfers haha
They’ll all car pool and one has a beach house in Portsea so costs there are kept down

I am a teacher.

There is also the usual ‘Volunteer’ things like expo’s or discos which we get told: “You dont need to assist and set up, but if you choose not to, then your students work won’t be displayed” or “If you do not assist in supervising, then we cannot run these as we are doing it for charity.” Basically guilt tripping.

In Regards to admin, you can blame the parents who want data to justify why their child is failing and how you are assisting them and the government who want answers for why we are falling behind countries with cultures that hold education and educators in high standard and want to pin the blame on the teachers and have a head to hold accountable.

We are never going to be a Korea/Finland/China/Japan unless we make big changes starting with smaller class sizes, a big cultural change in the mentality towards education and less crowded curriculum.

Japan have just as big class sizes but parents understand that the school teaches to a level, if the child falls behind it’s their duty to catch up, not the other way around. The culture doesn’t dare allow the parent to blame the school.

I don't think you need to love your work. I think you need to not hate your work. Subtle but important distinction.

I don’t love my job (or my profession, really). But I’m reasonably well paid and I’m working in an area where I feel as if I’m making a bit of a difference, so that helps me not totally hate it.

I think its ideal to be in a job you love, and its noble to strive for that. But for most people, particularly those with families and the financial commitments that come with same, I think that’s not a reality. And I think that’s OK, if your job doesn’t consume your life and you have time/money/opportunity to persue your passions outside of work.

Economic stress is a lot harder when you have kid(s). When you're just starting out living in a one bedroom flat can be kind of cool, but with kids you're worrying about everything from school fees to whether your kid is the only one without the 'right' shoes. But going to work every day to a job you friggin' hate, whether you've told anyone else about it or not, or that you know in your heart you're not very good at or are simply not right for, that's no sort of justification for a little more money. It's not good for you, and it's not good for your family. Fffs, tell your partner (ffs), work together at looking at other options, and get the hell out of there.

This is the very scenario I faced almost 2 years ago. My boss quit suddenly, and as the senior and best member of the team, was promoted rapidly to management. I was making better money than I ever had - but I had no guidance, no support, and generally no idea what I was doing. Within months, I was suffering anxiety and probably some form of depression. I lost weight, couldn’t sleep, was miserable to be around, and eventually got to the point where I told my wife I had to leave my job. She responded with “I know”. (Top chick.) So I quit. And then the guilt came in. Guilt at leaving my friends at work in the lurch without a manager. Guilt at leaving a place I had loved, and guilt at sitting at home for a couple of weeks and not working. I did have time on my side, as 12 years in one place builds up a pretty hefty payout - particularly if you haven’t taken your long service leave. But still - there was fear and guilt there. “What if I can’t find another job?” “I’ve done the wrong thing.” “How are we going to get by” etc etc.

I took another job within a couple of weeks. It was the wrong thing to do. I was still suffering mentally, and spent the entire time at this new job looking for another. I regret ever working there, because for 5-6 months I gave nothing to my employer. But in all honesty, I’m not sure I had anything to really give at that point. It didn’t help that it was only ever a short term contract.

Anyhow - I’m in a better place these days. As I said in my earlier post - I’m not exactly challenged, or head over heels in love with my job or workplace - but the lack of stress/anxiety in my life means I’m ok now. I can provide for my family, and be there for my kids - and the knowledge of that gives me satisfaction. The time will come where I find a job I love - likely when the kids get older and more self-sufficient, but for now, I’m probably where I should be. And that’s ok.

It’s also just struck me that this is probably the first time I’ve really shared this with anyone I’m not sleeping with. It feels a little weird, and a little cathartic. Cheers Blitz.

I am a teacher.

I don’t understand why you are still a teacher, based on what you’re saying.
You say you ‘love your job at times’.
Is that it? is that enough reason for not changing jobs/career?
Your post reads that you get very little in return for outputting a very lot. And that you are miserable. And you hate your mother-in-law (ok, I got that from somewhere else)
Serious question, though.

Well written Brem. Your story resonates with me. You made a brave call.

+1

Got me thinking it has…

+1

Got me thinking it has…

Thinking you’re Yoda?

I am a teacher.

My Dad was a teacher from uni until retirement (including a National Service stint where he was in Education Corps and did his stint teaching at the Technical College in Port Moresby), and now does tutoring for kids doing VCE maths. I did VCE at the same school he was teaching at and had heaps of kids tell me he was one of the best teachers they ever had. Whenever I struggled to understand what I was learning (I was/am rubbish at maths), he was always able to explain it to me so that I could understand it. At one point he got offered a teaching job at Geelong Grammar but turned it down as it would have meant working on weekends and he preferred to spend his weekends with his family. A great role model and still my biggest hero.

I would have liked to have been a teacher, but it would mean a 50% pay cut from what I am earning now. As the son of a father who is a teacher and a mother who is a nurse, I may be a bit biased, but those are two professions that are not paid what they are truly worth to society.

I’ve now done 21 years in the Army and have had many different jobs, some that I have loved, some that I have hated, but overall I have enjoyed the life, been well payed and have had some amazing opportunities. Sure, it isn’t for everyone, and plenty of things get done poorly at times, but it has been a positive for me. It probably helps that there are so many different roles you can perform and you have some (not all!) say over where you end up and what you can do. My current role isn’t jumping out of planes and blowing things up (those were the days!), but it has given me a great work/life balance, I work with some great people and my boss gives me heaps of latitude as long as I deliver my work which is not overly difficult as long as I keep on top of it. I’m at the point now where I have to start weighing up what opportunities are still ahead of me both in and out of the Army, and whether it is worth sticking out another 9 years at which point my Superannuation will be at it’s peak and I will be pretty comfortable in my retirement.

My first job was luckily the worst job I have ever had. It has kept every other job in perspective.

I worked as a tele-marketer up in Seattle (straight out of uni from Melbourne). Every morning we were given a list of 80 names and phone numbers (some business some personal). We were expected to convince 5 of them to accept “an offer of a free computer class worth $199”. Think your Word, Excel, PowerPoint. Of course when said person came in for the class they would only be taught very preliminary techniques and asked to pony up to another $699 to complete the course. The place was full of cut throat sales sharks. And me, a 21 yo, desperately homesick for Melbourne. Our (married) fearless leader was having an affair with the office manager (they are now married with 5 kids). The established sales reps would brag about the latest car they bought with their bonus. The owner of the business was known to quietly sit in the electrical closet and listen in on the phone calls to watch out for lack of proper technique.

It was horrendous.

My first 3 calls hung up on me and it only went downhill from there. I lasted 7 months and then packed it in.

When I worked in a shop ($12 an hour), one customer once said to me “retail is like prison with the door open.” One of the most true statements I ever heard, I’d assume call centres are the same. :s

I am a teacher.

Your post reads that you get very little in return for outputting a very lot. And that you are miserable. And you hate your mother-in-law (ok, I got that from somewhere else)

Reason I am staying in the job is that I love the kids and I love working with kids. Knowing that I can make a difference in their lives and seeing that in their face when they do something they couldn’t before is something that makes me happy.

I am a teacher.

Reason I am staying in the job is that I love the kids and I love working with kids. Knowing that I can make a difference in their lives and seeing that in their face when they do something they couldn’t before is something that makes me happy.

Yep, so that element outweighs the bad, right?
It’s tough when it’s a toss-up.

I have been self employed for 20 years now. It has ups and downs, you just need to be prepared to adapt and change. I think every year or 2 re assess and adapt to changes in your chosen industry.

I heard a saying the other day that made me nod in agreement

“I’d rather have one kid with 6 pairs of shoes than 6 kids with 1 pair”

Just thoughtI’d share…

My kids won’t even wear shoes, which helps with cash flow…

I have an interesting perspective I think on this, in that I have attempted the what I love thing more than once. A few people here know a bit about my past, you may, but I will share anyway.

I spent most of my first 10 years out of high school chasing the dream of being a professional musician. In the 10 years I attempted that, two of them I was able to support myself without having to work a part time job to supplement or move back into my parents. Playing in bands you attract a lot of woman, but having to take them back to you mums instantly makes the rock star mystique vanish lol.

My epiphany moment to end that chase was touring with Spiderbait and seeing them have to borrow gear off us to get through made realise even if you become popular here it doesn’t mean you make any real money (a year after I chucked it in they did black Betty and the world knew who they were)

Around the time of my revelation I met my now wife and she got offered a good job in Adelaide, and I thought the best way to detox so to speak from the Melbourne music scene was to move to Adelaide lol. When I got there I got a job working for Optus then Telstra and that then sparked the next 10 or so years of me working in telecommunications. It helped me earn proper money for the first time in my life. I was good at what I did but I certainly didn’t love it

Being part of the machine eventually started to wear me down a bit and I had become a father in this time and I started to become more conscious of the world my children were growing up in and decided I wanted to try and do something positive in it, so I took to study and got a degree in social work and as most now know I have spent the last few years working with youth, in the area of mental health, indigenous wellbeing and humanitarian entrant victims of totuture and trauma.

I have recently reached another epiphany though. While I do find reward in what I do it’s mostly heart breaking, not that I feel like I’m flogging a dead horse but with the reality that the kids that I work with are victims of the world we have created for them, and I can’t fix that. I can’t fix the broken homes that cyclical worlds of welfare and domestic violence or and substance abuse that effects the Aussie kids and their families, I can fix the endemic low self worth or negative lost or lack of identity of aboriginal people. I can’t look in the eyes of African, Syrian, Myanmar or Islamic kids and tell them that even though they escaped utter horrors that few here could even begin to imagine that this new country is going to understand them let alone accept them.

The world I set out to change to improve for my kids has been having a negative impact on me and I have to change that. So I have recently decided it’s time to return to the corporate world. Not because I think I’m going to love it, but because I can tolerate it, and hopefully make my family’s world a little better.

1 Like