The "Earning a Living" Thread

I have a good paying job, good boss and flexible hours. I hate the job. But then I think of all the places I’ve been to around the world where people would be grateful to have any one of those three things, so I just suck it up, go to work and collect my pay-check.

I remember growing up as a kid with nothing. Dad worked as a brickie/concreter, and mum worked night shift in a factory just for the family to get by. I remember getting a cigarette tray full of jelly beans for Christmas, because that’s all that they could afford. People believe it is their right to be happy at work…It’s not a right, it’s a privilege.

People need to stop feeling sorry for themselves and their circumstances and just be thankful for what they have. There are always people out there that are worse off.

I have a good paying job, good boss and flexible hours. I hate the job. But then I think of all the places I've been to around the world where people would be grateful to have any one of those three things, so I just suck it up, go to work and collect my pay-check.

I remember growing up as a kid with nothing. Dad worked as a brickie/concreter, and mum worked night shift in a factory just for the family to get by. I remember getting a cigarette tray full of jelly beans for Christmas, because that’s all that they could afford. People believe it is their right to be happy at work…It’s not a right, it’s a privilege.

People need to stop feeling sorry for themselves and their circumstances and just be thankful for what they have. There are always people out there that are worse off.

You are obviously of a generation closer to mine that of my children or grandchildren. Being thankful for what you have does not mean that you cannot strive for more, but the expectation that you are entitled is misguided.

During uni and working in retail entitled people were of all ages. Maybe it was the type I was in but the elderly at delis are devils.

Your jobs can’t be that bad, considering most of you lot are sitting and posting on Blitz all day!

1 Like

I’ve decided to head back to university this year (I completed my first degree about two decades ago). My eventual goal is to do cross-disciplinary research. But, I’ve gotta complete another undergraduate degree before I can do that. I’m looking at probably six years of study (including post grad)—with no guarantee I’ll be able to complete my goal at the end of it. So, it’s a pretty risky endeavour.

Anyway, given the risks involved, I’ve been very surprised and humbled at the level of support and encouragement I’ve been given by family and friends. I think I can do it. And so do those who know me. So, I’m going to give it my best shot :slight_smile:

1 Like

I am about to take the leap from working for a mining company, to working for our own little company. Its scary, but its what I have always wanted to do, and I am looking forward to having more flexibility and consistency in my life. Anyone need some data science?

1 Like
I am about to take the leap from working for a mining company, to working for our own little company. Its scary, but its what I have always wanted to do, and I am looking forward to having more flexibility and consistency in my life. Anyone need some data science?

I do.

What is data science?

I do.

What is data science?

you sound like someone who needs some in your life!!

So you have bought Champion Data then?

If anyone wants to know why spoilt kids are spoilt today
Working at Box Hill Tafe and they’ve got these fancy electronic student support screens
Some gems so far (which have been paraphrased)

• it’s normal and ok to hate and quit your first job; you’re destined to move onto bigger things
  • working in retail is meant to be horrible; you’re destined to move onto bigger things

Retail is only ■■■■ at sports stadiums tbh. The types that go to footy are another kind

Does data science match data sets, like Centrelink?

Your jobs can't be that bad, considering most of you lot are sitting and posting on Blitz all day!

That’s why I hate my job.

So you have bought Champion Data then?

I wish - you could make it publicly available and change the game like sabremetrics did in money ball.

Your jobs can't be that bad, considering most of you lot are sitting and posting on Blitz all day!

That’s why I hate my job.

yeah my time on blitz is definitely positively correlated to my lack of interest in my work.

I read an interesting article on why most wealth only lasts 3 generations (not sure if that is entirely true but I am going to share):
The first generations starts off struggling, they work hard, figure things out later in life and get to a place where they are comfortable and maybe wealthy.
The second generation often witnesses at least part of this struggle and learn the value of money. Even later when they inherit or replicate the wealth they are aware of what got them this far.
The third generation has none of the above. They don’t appreciate the struggle and hence more often than not lose the wealth.

In my case my dad came from abject poverty (often lacking food and clothing as a kid). He worked his butt off. As a kid I witnessed this struggle (I remember my mom and him doing the budget every night to see if that month’s paycheck was going to allow any savings at all). When I went to uni we were comfortably middle-class. But, I carried the learnings. I started doing my own budget and would write down EVERY expense daily. “Mars Bar from vending machine 75c. Can of Solo $1.” (yep, healthy eater).

One day mate of mine walked in and saw me writing down my expenses. He couldn’t believe it and made it a running joke about how “tight” I was. Suffice to say I was pretty embarrassed.

Fingers crossed my daughter can learn some of this…

I started doing my own budget and would write down EVERY expense daily. “Mars Bar from vending machine 75c. Can of Solo $1.” (yep, healthy eater).

hahaha…I so remember doing this :slight_smile:

My Dad had told me - 'spend exactly half of what you earn. If you spend more, you’ll never save. If you spend less, you’ll never enjoy yourself".
So I used to spend almost exactly half whatever I earned.

I started doing my own budget and would write down EVERY expense daily. "Mars Bar from vending machine 75c. Can of Solo $1." (yep, healthy eater).

My Dad had told me - 'spend exactly half of what you earn. If you spend more, you’ll never save. If you spend less, you’ll never enjoy yourself".

SO GLAD I have ‘met’ someone else who did the budgeting too!

For those working for themselves what are you operating as?
Was going to work from home/for myself while I’m studying the next couple of years and trying to work out the best way to (officially) do it

I started doing my own budget and would write down EVERY expense daily. "Mars Bar from vending machine 75c. Can of Solo $1." (yep, healthy eater).

SO GLAD I have ‘met’ someone else who did the budgeting too!

I’ve been budgeting for years. I don’t need to now, but it’s a habit and I like seeing pretty graphs seeing where all my money has gone.