The end of year cannon - who should be fired into the sun?

Our list right now, is the least of our problems but it is a distraction.

If we end up losing draft picks. we’ll absolutely need to make minimum changes to the list. You don’t want to be changing over 5 players if our first draft pick is at 60-70.

Man, every year this thread never ceases to amuse me. "Let's get rid of 10 players, and replace them with amazing A-grade talent that is simply abundant in every draft!"
I can see Hille retiring from AFL but signing on with the VFL team. NLM might give it up. I reckon Fletcher might go one more year. Wouldn't be surprised if Winderlich or Davey call it a day as much as I wouldn't want them to.
While I don't think we should stick Jetta or Gumby in a cardboard box outside Windy Hill with a sign saying "Free to good home", we should entertain any offers we get for them.

Remember when we were making 3 changes last year? Right up until we made 8 or 9?
Jetta, Hille, NLM and Del* have to be gone. But there's another 4-5 in that will-they, won't-they zone that mostly got delisted last year (Pris, Dyson and Lonergan spring to mind)
So things can change, a lot, in the last month or two before the draft/trade period.
I think we can all see there's a glaring weakness.

Liam Shiels from the Hawks, He hasn't had much game time recently is he coming back from an injury or just not in the Hawks best 22?

We should try snare him!

Remember when we were making 3 changes last year? Right up until we made 8 or 9?
Jetta, Hille, NLM and Del* have to be gone. But there's another 4-5 in that will-they, won't-they zone that mostly got delisted last year (Pris, Dyson and Lonergan spring to mind)
So things can change, a lot, in the last month or two before the draft/trade period.
I think we can all see there's a glaring weakness.

True, but would you expect 16-20 players turned over in 2 years?

Jetta is under contract. He’s not going anywhere unless he requests to go. I don’t think the club is going to be in a financial position to be paying out players contracts.

Del’Olio and the other rookies will be de-listed. Can’t see any of them getting upgraded.

3 retirements and 4 de-listed rookies.

This brings in 7 new players.

Jetta is under contract. He's not going anywhere unless he requests to go. I don't think the club is going to be in a financial position to be paying out players contracts.
Del'Olio and the other rookies will be de-listed. Can't see any of them getting upgraded.
3 retirements and 4 de-listed rookies.
This brings in 7 new players.

Jetta would almost certainly be looking elsewhere as would Gumby.  Thats potentially 9 new players (if we don't lose Tbell/Crammers or anyone else).

Liam Shiels from the Hawks, He hasn't had much game time recently is he coming back from an injury or just not in the Hawks best 22?

We should try snare him!

Shane Savage is better. Not sure what his contract status is.

True, but would you expect 16-20 players turned over in 2 years?

Again, getting a touch of deja vu.
The league average is something like 8 changes, including rookies.
So I wouldn't be surprised.

Man, every year this thread never ceases to amuse me. "Let's get rid of 10 players, and replace them with amazing A-grade talent that is simply abundant in every draft!"

I can see Hille retiring from AFL but signing on with the VFL team. NLM might give it up. I reckon Fletcher might go one more year. Wouldn't be surprised if Winderlich or Davey call it a day as much as I wouldn't want them to.

While I don't think we should stick Jetta or Gumby in a cardboard box outside Windy Hill with a sign saying "Free to good home", we should entertain any offers we get for them.

Why would NLM give it up? He will get the tap on the shoulder for an early retirement. He is a great servant but it makes no sense to have him on the list next year. Browne, Davis (assuming he's on the list at all), Kav, Merrett, OBrien need to be providing that depth now.

And Fletcher is big chance of retirement I think.

And why would Davey call it a day? He may be delisted, but voluntarily give it away?

Can't understand the Davey nomination at all.

It took about 5 mins yesterday for it to show how his defensive pressure and chase has been missed.  add to that he kicks goals (normally) and leads to good positions. If he's wanting to play on keep him!

You were happy with Davey's game?

Again I ask, how is getting rid of the likes of rookie listed players, going to effect the ability of the starting 22 to run out a season ?

Our midfields ability to do that is the biggest quert, yet the only solution to most around here is, get rid of irrelevant factors to the problem at hand and rely on either young untried talent with potential, or rely on state league players to come in and have an impact.

Start trying to fix the biggest and main problem first, before caring about who's on the rookie lists or not.

Hard to make a call on any but the bleeding obvious delistings based on the last 4 weeks. God only knows how this stress goiing through the club has affected the team & more importantly, individual players

There are a lot that are down right now that you certainly wouldn't shaft, eg: Crammers.

Others didn't get a crack til the team started to slide, so it's really hard to judge.

I think calls for brooms & wholesale delistings / list cleanouts are unfounded over reactions.

Well here it goes

DELIST:

Luke Davis

All rookies, with Davis, I like these players and they work really hard but they have had a some time to show if they are up to AFL and haven‘t found opportunities, especially rookies who have had two seasons. (I don‘t remember rookies staying so long on the list.) Ariel is very stiff, maybe keep….

TRADE:

Leroy Jetta, been at Essendon a long time and hasn‘t been very successful, I think he has some currency.

Nick Obrien, I cannot see where his development will come from although the club would most likely try one more year. Other clubs could take a punt on a young player.

Stewart Crameri, plays very very well but inconsistent in some parts of his game, tipping him over the line into this category are his performances in recent weeks and "I" perceive him to be less interested at the moment. If the idea/rumour is his attitude then we would kick ourselves not trading him, he has a lot of currency.

Travis Colyer, like Crameri he is so good at some aspects of his game but I think his deficiencies won‘t be resolved in time. He is a hard worker and some team may try to fit him into their game plan.

Scott Gumbleton, only because we need to make decisions and space for our forward line.

RETIRE:

David Hille

NLM

Dustin Fletcher, if he wants to play on, then let him.

That is about 6-8 changes.  Besides the delisting‘s and Jetta, I don‘t feel strongly either way about the other suggestions.

I will add though, the retirements would leave some salary cap and the trades, if done smartly could bring a lot of value. Our list is healthy and the club has a lot of options, but we must fix the forward line and its strange because the solution may be to trade someone out rather than in?

Again I ask, how is getting rid of the likes of rookie listed players, going to effect the ability of the starting 22 to run out a season ?

Our midfields ability to do that is the biggest quert, yet the only solution to most around here is, get rid of irrelevant factors to the problem at hand and rely on either young untried talent with potential, or rely on state league players to come in and have an impact.

Start trying to fix the biggest and main problem first, before caring about who's on the rookie lists or not.

But isn‘t the rookie list there to find a diamond in the rough? Going out and finding these guys should be a priority and also refreshing the rookie list, I agree it is not an instant fix but one scenario could be for example Dalgleish blossoming at an AFL club and becoming another Dempsey, promoted to senior list instead of Del'olio and ripe for the second half of the season. Unfortunately none of the current rookies fit that description and thus we need clear out and bring another bunch in, and that could fix our fade outs.

But isn‘t the rookie list there to find a diamond in the rough? Going out and finding these guys should be a priority and also refreshing the rookie list, I agree it is not an instant fix but one scenario could be for example Dalgleish blossoming at an AFL club and becoming another Dempsey, promoted to senior list instead of Del'olio and ripe for the second half of the season. Unfortunately none of the current rookies fit that description and thus we need clear out and bring another bunch in, and that could fix our fade outs.

Not saying don't take that approach also. But before that approach will work, the coaches have to acknowledge the current midfield crop, over a whole season, is just not producing the required output, for whatever reason.

Changing the rookie listed players isn't going to change the dramatic fadeouts of said midfield. Considering you'd need a LTI for a rookie to actually get a gig, it's somewhat unhealthy to be hoping you stumble upon a diamond via that route. You also have to have the courage to change the actual problem first, which would mean any diamond found via this route, actually getting substantial gametime in the middle, not as a forward flanker come midfielder for 2 mins a qtr.

Well here it goes

DELIST:

Luke Davis

All rookies, with Davis, I like these players and they work really hard but they have had a some time to show if they are up to AFL and haven‘t found opportunities, especially rookies who have had two seasons. (I don‘t remember rookies staying so long on the list.) Ariel is very stiff, maybe keep….

TRADE:

Leroy Jetta, been at Essendon a long time and hasn‘t been very successful, I think he has some currency.

Nick Obrien, I cannot see where his development will come from although the club would most likely try one more year. Other clubs could take a punt on a young player.

Stewart Crameri, plays very very well but inconsistent in some parts of his game, tipping him over the line into this category are his performances in recent weeks and "I" perceive him to be less interested at the moment. If the idea/rumour is his attitude then we would kick ourselves not trading him, he has a lot of currency.

Travis Colyer, like Crameri he is so good at some aspects of his game but I think his deficiencies won‘t be resolved in time. He is a hard worker and some team may try to fit him into their game plan.

Scott Gumbleton, only because we need to make decisions and space for our forward line.

RETIRE:

David Hille

NLM

Dustin Fletcher, if he wants to play on, then let him.

That is about 6-8 changes.  Besides the delisting‘s and Jetta, I don‘t feel strongly either way about the other suggestions.

I will add though, the retirements would leave some salary cap and the trades, if done smartly could bring a lot of value. Our list is healthy and the club has a lot of options, but we must fix the forward line and its strange because the solution may be to trade someone out rather than in?

OBrien wtf?

Gumby and Jetta to Saints for Dal Santo?

I know he isn't quick but he is smart and we don't have a lot of smarts atm.

Doubt Steinberg is going. Will get promoted or get another rookie year.

Why would you trade O'Brien...

Holy god.

I know, I know, but I did say he will most likely get another year, just because I don‘t rate him highly doesn‘t mean he shouldn‘t get his time and chance. I actually do rate him or i wouldn‘t have said clubs want him, just an idea if we have plans on trading something special this year.

The games I have seen him in it seems his kicks drop a bit short and gets bumped over pretty easily. Even players like Del'olio will most likely be kept, but with most clubs having a 4-6 player change over who else could it be?