The end of year cannon - who should be fired into the sun?

You’re a couple days late on that call…

5 Likes

This place needs the broom too.
Can we ban about 20 posters from now until final playing lists are lodged?

I’ll take one for the team if I’m allowed to nominate the top 10 who should accompany me in to posting wilderness.

8 Likes

It’s going to be predicated on who we can bring in during trade/FA period. There are a couple of no brainers which will get done pretty quickly and then I think lots of players are going to have to hold their breathe as we determine whom we can bring in on what and how those contracts are structured. We have lots of guys out of contract which gives us plenty of flexibility.

1 Like

Yep. And even DFAs. (As in, if there’s a 26yo passable ruckman going begging, I’d be happy to chop Leuney)

Doesn’t he have a year to run?

I don’t believe so, footywire has him expiring this year. Could be wrong.

I’d be happy enough to keep him, but ideally I’d want someone a bit younger. His body’s been through a lot.

Delist- Jerrett, Leuey, Goddard?

Trade - Hartley, Dea, LAV? Colyer?

Drop to rookie list - Houlahan
Upgrade to main list - McKernan

4-7 main list spots freed up

Likely 2 traded in players + DFA’s/draftees

I do think we want to keep LAV but 1yr contract only offered so he might choose to go himself. And Colyer is contracted still so that might save him.

4 Likes

I think Leuey got a 3 year deal when he came to us so he’s definitely out of contract

What if GC offered us our second round pick back for him? He has had an excellent year, but I just wonder if this season is his ‘above average’ season and next year he will return to his average. Will struggle for a game when some of the talls return to the side. Either way I suspect the decision will be made by him and not us. He probably has more value to a lower side who have salary cap to burn where he will play every week rather than a club where he is insurance. On the plus side, the sides that he will have value to will probably pay overs to get him (or he will be worth overs in a deal to get say Lynch where he wants to go should GC demand picks and players).

Title change please mods.

The end of year cannon, who will be fired in to the sun?

5 Likes

Righto, couldn’t remember if it was 3 or 4 when he joined us as a FA. If he’s out then definitely see ya later. Pluck another development project via the rookie draft.

@theDJR is the god damn man

1 Like

Delist goddard, bags, looney, merrett

Trade green, long, hartley, laverde

Agree with all that. Would delist long and green too

Offer Lav a one year deal and if he chooses to go elsewhere so be it

lol… you reckon anyone is trading in Jake Long?

3 Likes

Trade Dea

Only in a package of say hartley dea long

They’d still say no… 3x spuds doesn’t equal one decent player.

We still need depth

Long actually showed something in his games at senior level this year IMO & got kudos from coach and captain.

Is he going to become a best 22 player? Probably not but a valuable contributer when needed. Jerrett is done and if Colyer goes he has to stay, I’d have Long ahead of him.

Same goes for Green. Wouldn’t be many teams that have small fwds as experienced or as capable (on his day) as him in the 2’s. Forward pressure is so important & we have to have cover.

I’m with you Robbo, I can’t see either playing a part in the team or as depth. Particularly Green, just not up to it.

I’m not sold on Lav but wonder what he might be able to provide with an injury free run. I’ve said a couple of times, a 15 min spell in the middle in a twos game a few weeks back and he looked like he was too good for that level. Bit like Lang last year when he was getting 30 each week.

2 Likes