The end of year cannon - who should be fired into the sun?

why is houlihan getting delisted?

2 Likes

I wouldnā€™t be trading Gleeson, I never realised how crucial he was in the team until he was injured

I would give Lav another year

Havenā€™t seen anywhere near enough of houlahan to give an opinion

Rest Iā€™m fine with

2 Likes

I personally think Gleeson is a little overrated and with so many of those third tall types I think he is tradeable and has some currency.

Lav I wouldnā€™t be upset if stays but again itā€™s a position of depth and I donā€™t think heā€™s shown enough despite what injuries heā€™s had.

Houlahan I liked when we took him but having seen him a bit this year I donā€™t think he will make it. For mine he rivals Colyer for hands of soap below his knees. Fumbles far too much for mine.

2 Likes

I agree on Gleeson. He has nice run and carry but that is more than made up for with Saad and Mckenna and he is a nice intercept mark which we should have covered with Hooker and Francis. I donā€™t think he is good enough 1 on 1 and I think he has a bit of currency.

4 Likes

I hope heā€™s been in the gym and wacked on a few more kgs.

I thought besides being exposed 1-1, his disposal needed improving.

I thought he really nailed that in 2017.
(he was dropped at one stage I think,and like Parish came back better)

Spoilt for choice ATM with Redman,Francis,Ridley,Gleeson,and even Brown able to play that role.

Good problem to have.
Gleeson on a wing COULD work?

They way the club talk about Mcniece id be staggered if he got the chop.

He seems to be rated pretty well internally, and bar that mare he had against GC he was reasonable solid.

His kicking is really good, and I think you persist with guys who have good skills and decision making.

2 Likes

Heard him at training in the preseason.Very vocal,coaches praising him for something he recognized the team werent executing in a drill. Seems to go with what you are saying.

Lol, ā€¦ are people actually saying trade The Gleek??

Seriously?

How quickly people forget, ā€¦ like frigging Goldfish,ā€¦ if itā€™s not right in front of you right now, ā€¦ it didnā€™t happen.

11 Likes

The other point of view is that like many players who have a long term injury he seems to have gotten better in peopleā€™s minds then he really was.
He was dropped in both 2016 and 2017. Yes he got back in the team on both occasions, but he didnā€™t do anything stunning to suddenly make him indispensable.

Heā€™s competing with guys like Francis, Ridley and Redman for a spot in the team. I reckon probably 2 of those 4 will play most weeks next year. Heā€™s got serious competition on his hands and I would be fairly hopeful/confident that all 3 of those guys listed will be playing at a better level next season then Gleeson has reached so far in his career.

Iā€™d happily trade him if something decent was an offer.
Iā€™d also be happy if the club kept him. But imo heā€™s got to get better than he was or heā€™ll just be depth.

4 Likes

I meander through this thread and I still canā€™t work out why anyone wants to keep Long on the list? He isnā€™t going to make it, he doesnā€™t really offer a lot imo and I just cannot see the point in holding on to him.

4 Likes

Iā€™d invite you (& others), ā€¦ to read the Marty thread from this post onwards regarding his season last year.

The intercept and playing on quickly is so important in modern game and he does it well.

He was almost our best player as a 4th defender in the final vs Swans. Which is exactly the role he will be in next year.

Redman will take Goddardā€™s position as 7th def/mid

Ridley has proven nothing yet to be at Gleesonā€™s level. But he will be next in line for Gleeson or Redmanā€™s spots IMO

Matt Dea is the one who will be traded/cut

5 Likes

Has that thread got videos of his performances?
If not, itā€™s not going to change my opinion.

Well,ā€¦ that kinda proves my point.

I want to keep Long

2 Likes

?? It doesnā€™t prove anything.
I was of the opinion right through last year that he was a fringe player. He had a couple of good games towards the end of last year. He was a little bit safer in the 22 but he was still fringe.

Itā€™s not because of absence that iā€™ve got that opinion. Francis, Ridley and Redman have all improved this year and shown they are capable of playing well at AFL level. Admittedly their body of work is smaller than Gleesonā€™s but If 2 of them improve again next year, Gleeson will also have to improve or he wonā€™t be in the team. Itā€™s prettt simple.

Itā€™s not like heā€™s a top 10 or 15 player for the club

1 Like

Heā€™s best 22.

But if you are right, then he becomes a very high quality back up in case of injury to those who leap frogged him.

And back up of that quality is a big tick.

3 Likes

All those guys you mention will be or at least may be Best 22 in future years, . ā€¦ but all still are very inexperienced, ā€¦ and a couple at least could play other roles, ā€¦ along with a few blokes that play back now, ā€¦ Conor for eg: may well end up Mid Fwd etc, ā€¦

Gleeson is already experienced, plays the intercept role fantastically, and I would bet good money he would have been best 22 week in week out this year if not for the injury.

We signed him until 2020 for a very good reason.

6 Likes

I will admit i didnā€™t see the pre-season game against Geelong so I donā€™t know how well he was going in that.
At what stage of the game did he get injured?

Late. Bout 10mins to go.
He walks into the 22, not a question about it.

1 Like