The Essendon Draft

Just something I thought people might find interesting. Obviously covering damn near 20 years means it doesn’t necessarily reflect the reality of any given point it time, but it’s still interesting to look through I think.

It’s an extended version of the Essendon second round I posted elsewhere earlier. It’s not just every pick we’ve taken, but rather three(ish) rounds of picks in roughly the right places, so the first round goes back to 2001 while the third round goes to 2006. Excludes F/S picks because they’re not reflective of drafting, really. The rookie draft excludes re-rookies and demotions. Also the third round pick numbers are adjusted to be the actual number they were taken at once you take out teams passing and rookie elevations.

National Draft
1 McGrath
2 Gumbleton
5 Parish
5 Hurley
6 Francis
6 Myers
6 Bradley
7 Ryder
8 Heppell
10 Melksham
10 Laycock
11 Winderlich
13 Stanton
14 Monfries
17 Langford
18 Jetta
18 Shane Harvey

19 Dempsey
19 Kavanagh
20 Laverde
20 Hislop
22 Ridley
23 Zaharakis
23 Pears
24 Carlisle
26 Colyer
26 Zach Merrett
29 Morgan
30 Redman
31 Begley
31 Jackson Merrett
31 Steinberg
33 Anthony Long
34 Ashby
36 Davey

42 Houli
42 Mutch
46 Henry Slattery
47 Reimers
48 Alex Browne
50 Lonergan
52 Gleeson
53 Fantasia
54 Hooker
54 Mitch Brown
55 Still
59 O’Brien
60 Thomas
62 Lucy
63 Clarke
63 Davis
64 Eades
65 Kommer
67 Tyson Slattery
68 Hartley

Rookie Draft
just in chronological order
Draper
Nyoun
Tippa
McKernan
Thurlow
Ambrose
Dalgliesh
Dell’Olio
Baguley
Hunter

Pre-season Draft
Hams
Hibberd
Hardingham
Skipworth
John Williams

11 Likes

Interesting. Our picks in the 60s are rubbish but our picks in the 50s have been golden.

Sack Dodorro

2 Likes

Should we trade our 34 and 66 (?) for 2 picks in the 50’s?
Yeah, nah.

Only four Top 5 picks is pretty remarkable considering how mediocre we’ve been.

2 Likes

Two of them across 2015 and 2016.

Of the two drafted across 2001 to 2014, one was Gumby who turned out post-draft to be a crock. And people wonder why we struggled to have elite talent for so long…

1 Like

I think it’s because we’ve been consistently mediocre, rather than really crap sometimes

5 Likes

Also, the very top of the draft has been dominated by the expansion teams and priority picks before they scrapped them right when we were going to benefit.

4 Likes

its a bit longer than 20 years, but surely you cant leave out a certain pick number 79?

2 Likes

Wasn’t Bellchambers PSD?

1 Like

Initial observation is that Hooker has been the best value for money relative to depth of pick. Fantasia may surpass in the future however time will tell.

1 Like

Winderlich could have been such a great ■■■■■■ footballer.

not as tragic as gumby. but Licha had IT.

hate injuries ruining careers.

12 Likes

Correct

Ok, now go through each draft an indicate who we should have selected at those picks.

I don’t hate myself quite enough to start that conversation.

7 Likes

My favourite footballer. Was such a smart player.

1 Like

We’ve had a few key ones. I really rated Darcy Daniher, but injured. Laycock also IMO would have been successful without injuries (I know some here disagree with that).

And damn Rioli’s knees! (although that was partly his fault)

Rama

2 Likes

Fantasia and Zerret are the two big wins for me.

I think Fantasia is our most important player the last 2 years we’ve struggled when he’s out.

Also, if Gumby ever deleiveres on blitz expectations we would’ve been unstoppable for a few years.

Mitch Brown wasn’t a top up? Who knew?