The "FFS umpiring, FFS" thread

But look at the video evidence his eyes are on the ball…nothing to see hear move on!

The problem with the rule and how it is being applied these days is it doesn’t allow for intent. When you attempt to bump an opponent, legitimately intending to apply a hip and shoulder to his body, and his head flops towards you on impact, because it was a hard impact, then you get done for making contact to the head. It is accidental, and the intent and execution of the bump is legit, but the body of the player being bumped is not braced and his head moves. An example of this that springs to mind was when Judas was rubbed out a few years ago against Freo in WA (of course, when do Freo ever play us here?)
Contrast this to what Franklin did. He intentionally went to bump a guy who already had his head over the ball.
The intent was reckless at the very least. He clearly knew he was likely to make contact to the head. Just because the player didn’t get a concussion doesn’t make the act any less blameworthy,

4 Likes

He didn’t make any attempt to play the ball so how can there be any intent other than taking the man?? And Menadue was bent over from 2-3 steps away.

Will he interesting to see how they wangle their way out of this.

His leg is clearly hitting his head there.

Yes, but I think back to finals bound D Hannebery charging Hurley over the ball from about 4-5 steps out and getting no suspension, not even a free kick. Anything is possible if you’re willing to talk complete ■■■■ and allowed to get away with it.

High contact, careless, low impact - $1500 fine

Still reckon the only way to get the MRP to apply their own rules consistently would be to have it all adjudicated by someone in Swaziland or Tibet who knows nothing about the game or the personalities.

Hate to be the sour grape…
He’ll get let off for the bump. Didn’t get much of the head (Buddy’s hip got Menadue’s shoulder and his elbow just grazed his head) and Menadue got straight back up and was ready for his free kick by the time the scuffle had evolved. Assuming Menadue didn’t even go off concussed (I didn’t watch the game) or anything then it’ll get 0 as it deserves.

Unless he was involved in another scuffle, the only chance he gets rubbed out is if he jumper punched someone in the scuffle and it’s caught on video.

On the plus side…
I’d prefer to play Sydney fully fit with everyone. A no excuses game where we test where we are at.

The only way to stamp it out is, to give the player a week or two weeks holiday.

A fine doesn’t mean anything much to these blokes.

1 Like

It is truly amazing how a player changes their view of AFL footy world completely, once they stop playing AFL footy and being an AFL footy player and they become a player of another kind, in the AFL system.

The environment changes in its entirety.

Regardless of playing Sydney next week he should get weeks. Did not get much of the head and got straight up are no excuse. The intent was there, it was not one of those clumsy Buddy bumps where he goes to get them low but because he is tall makes contact head height. This was the definition of intentional head high contact, with a player over the ball and not fumbling or whatever excuse the AFL gave Hannebury on Hurley.

If it was Lindsay Thomas we would be calling him a weak dog.

3 Likes

What made it worse was the commentators on the day and afterwards claimed it was Hurlesys fault. Also Hannebery faking an injury after the incident was a ■■■■ take

Even worse I think it went into their forward 50 and the got some soft free against Stanton?, and I reckon it was Goodes faking for a holding free, could be wrong tho.

Admittedly it occurred not long aft that umpire was knocked out (no case to answer WTf?!) and he was cheered off.

1 Like

It doesn’t matter if it was Lindsay Thomas. Pointing to a tribunal reference from three years ago is of no use either. Tribunals deal with stuff differently from year to year.

Intent doesn’t always come into play.
Prior to a month ago, if someone is injured from a head bump and you intended to bump, then you’re highly likely to get a penalty.
Even a sling tackle wouldn’t be penalised if the player got straight back up even though the intent was to sling.

The only time I recall that they brought intent before injury is jumper punches and that’s mainly because they want them out of the game.

He won’t get weeks for Menadue. If it’s found he jumper punched in the scuffle, then he’ll get something for that.

Was looking for historical bumps just out of interest.
Came across this wonderful piece of irony at 49 seconds, thought I’d share.

certainty.

well how many times did they ping Fletcher for “potentially dangerous” even when minimal to no contact was made ?? !!!

2 Likes

Surprise surprise Bud gets a fine. Zac Jones suspended for 1 week for striking.

1 Like

Need income based fines. Should be $100k minimum for Franklin.

Vastly reduced due to Sydney’s COLA. (Cost Of Lance Allowance).

3 Likes

For farks sake. We got royally reamed up the date until 10minuted to go in the last. That was so bizarre.

1 Like