The future of Zaka

It’s where he does his best work

Which he then meticulously records in his diaries.

Which, if includes pictures, I’d like to see.

Zaharakis, . “This Club is Fark, … en goin’ places, … I"M IN!!”

5 Likes

Parish and Mcgrath are kids sooo much upside. Zakka is not going to get any better or hungrier.

He’d be pretty valuable if he can play at the current level for the next 3 years.

1 Like

This today:

_…“We haven’t had that consistency of one coach for more than three years in my nine years. ‘Woosha’ (current coach John Worsfold) is only really in his first year coaching this list and you can see the talent we’ve got, but we can’t waste that,” he said. _

"I’m not taking away from what we can do this year, but moving into next year it will be the second year of really having this group together. It can take time. Yes, we want to do something now. But it’s hard to go from 18th last year to first this year.

"We’re trying to get there, and trying to make improvements, and hopefully we can do something this year but if not, next year you’ll really see it."

His language says it all. He staying put…

4 Likes

NEVER SAY DIE ESSENDON

3 Likes

Seems that way.

We weren’t really 18th though were we? we got our ‘guns’ back and a bunch of time into players that ‘wouldn’t have made it if the old guard didn’t get banned’.

edit: not directed at smooth.

1 Like

The circumstances that led us to that finish were abnormal, and we will never know how we would’ve fared from 2013-2016 without the background stuff. But even if 18th wasn’t a true reflection of our list in totality, we are still coming from a long way back this year. I do agree that next year we will be better than this, which is very exciting!

Not to say it won’t be better, I’m just curious how people get to the assumption that it simply will be better next year ?

Consistency is the key issue now, and a big part of the lack of it this year, is the senior group of guys wilting under pressure of good to even mediocre teams.

Most than likely you also take out watson and kelly for next year, that’s 2 spots you haven’t really tested anyone new or young out this year, other than langford for 2 weeks.

Again not that it can’t or won’t happen, I don’t think it’s as easy and smooth a transition as some will make it out to be.

Absolute worst case scenario is that Langford and Dea get the spots.

Its really not that dire.

IMO we need to make an effort of recruiting young players who are consistent and have the self-discipline to continue to work hard even if they’re ‘not feeling it’, having a bad day or fatigued. They still need to put in the same effort every week.

We’ve done well with Parrish and McGrath. But we’ve had a history of recruiting kids who look a million dollars one week, and go missing the next. The evidence is the inconsistency of our club over the last 15 years.

Worst case scenario is we have a bad run of injuries. This year has been brilliant on that front, limited test of our depth.

1 Like

Agree

Unless we have a couple of VFL guys step up or able to bring in a gun via trade/draft/FA I can see us going backwards next year

I think we are still heading in the right direction but I don’t see how you replace the experience of Watson and Kelly

You can’t have injuries as a variable. Otherwise worst case scenario is everyone is injured and we can’t field a team :flushed:

I can think of worse things.

He’s back in. Very good news.

I hear he wants out!

2 Likes