The future of Zaka

Seeing as you have chosen not to respond, let me do it for you:

2013 - 21 out of 23
2014 - 23 / 23
2015 - 16 / 23
2016 - 21 / 23
2017 - 16 / 16

Total - 97 / 108 = 11 games missed

How many VFL games across that time? 0??

Don’t know how to get those stats however I would bet that it is less than 5 and probably close to 0.

He definitely played one in 2015. Missed 5 with an ankle injury, played one VFL game to come back from that.

1 Like

If I remember correctly, he missed the first VFL game thorough injury. Kicked seven goals in round two. Was promoted to the AFL. Blitz started his own forum. Won ANZAC day with his first goal. And he’s literally never looked back.

1 Like

Yeah, the retirement home we usually send players to is at capacity for 2018

Here: Inside Football player information
Complete down to 2015. So:

2017: 0
2016: 0
2015: 1
2014: 0
2013: ?

So his point falls over completely as I suggested.

1 Like

Yep.

Ablett had achieved everything you can in football by the time he left Geelong. He had the chance to lead a new team and start a dynasty with the best young talent in the country, he was set up to be a leader and mentor with his exceptional work ethic and gave himself the chance to become the undisputed greatest of all time. Obviously it didn’t work out like that and instead he is only in the conversation for greatest of all time, he still won a second Brownlow in a terrible team and continued to be the best player in the competition until injury stopped him. Now that he is past his prime and gold coast are nowhere near a premiership they have no real use for him, get him off their pay roll and use the money on more long term options.

And all of this came with his pay being quadrupled. If you are saying accepting a 4x pay increase for all those things I mentioned is greedy and that you wouldn’t want the extra money, you are either lying (to us or yourself) or living in a fantasy world

People having a crack at Ablett obviously really annoys me. Seriously complaining about the best footballer in the country accepting more money to do the same job is just unbelievably petty and reeks of jealousy

13 Likes

On the money Mr Quake

nicely said

Good to hear Worsfold saying that Zaka’s contract should be announced “sooner rather than later”. Sounds like money’s a bit of a sticking point but Woosha confident. Just pay him the money.

Can they do performance based contracts related to where players come in the Crichton?

Provided all players had the same financial incentive in their contracts, say a certain amount scaled according to where they finish in the top 10, that wouldn’t impact on the overall salary cap given it was a set amount.

Because Zaka’s output has been variable, you could understand the EFC’s reticence to throw the kitchen sink at him given his run of very strong games has not run over a period of years.

Woosha made a comment about “depending on who we bring in” when discussing jobe’s future. Makes me wonder if Essendon are still hoping to recruit a big name and might not be too keen to throw too much more at Zaharakis etc. until they know for sure they’re out of the running for Kelly and Martin

His first comment on Game Day was to say they would need to push someone out for McGrath!

UPDATE: I was at a bucks night on the weekend and had a good chat with Zaka about his contract. He said it would be hard for him to leave but is a bit insulted by our contract offer (in terms of money and years) and the Gold Coast offer was pretty great considering what he’s probably worth on the open market. He said he hasn’t really committed to either party. His girlfriend is also a factor and he said she’s keen to move to the Gold Coast. He said there’s still a lot to play out

No update on the Ablett swap part but i’ll keep posting!

Okay I no longer believe you now.

You two must be best buds for him to be open and forthright about his contract talks.

Straight swap. They pay Zaka Ablett’s pay and we’ll pay Ablett Zaka’s pay. Everyone’s happy.

(Caveat: I have no idea how much and or how well Ablett has played this year.)