The Gloating Thread

It truly is amazing what people throw away. Worked in the Eastern Suburbs of Sydney (Watson’s Bay) and there was a woman there had literally furnished her home with high end furniture and appliances for free from roadside collections. Smeg fridge, $10k lounge suites, four poster king size bed etc. etc., all thrown on the roadside because people with too much money decided it was time to update the decor, or because the Jones’s got a new tv so we need to get one too.

3 Likes

You’re all dreaming if you can beat this for 2 bucks from salvos;

They were made by someone called “Josh Australia” or Australia by Josh" and they go for 100 bucks at some of these weirdo collectors groups.

Which I may or may not be part of.

Ive started to collect, but haven’t splurged out yet, I’ve just been in the right place at the right time. Do you know how hard it is to get anything in Tassie? (Yes yes, apart from your sister, very good).

If you’ve heard of this mystical “Josh” let him know sameolds wants a word.

8 Likes

Dayum. Where do you live?!

I found a Breville coffee machine in hard rubbish, sold it for $350.

1 Like

I put out a dead fridge on the nature strip in Aberfeldie. Took the door off as required, so took it outside in two trips. By the time (straight after) I put the door out, the fridge had already gone. I remember a long spell of CRT TV’s clogging up the nature strips.

1 Like

Years ago I got a textbook for a uni subject second hand at Academic and General - the old one on Swanston St - for $15 (RRP: $190) and someone had left their exam notes inside. So I not only got the textbook for ~90% off, but also a basically ready to go cheat sheet!

6 Likes

Thats a score and a half.

I sold a Kate Bush Hounds of Love cassette on EBay for north of AUD150 during the height of the Stranger Things craze.

It’s the only time I’ve ever been completely mercenary about selling something, but it had honestly been about to go in the bin (I’ve got it on CD… why do I need to hang onto it on the worst recorded music format known to mankind?)

Hey, if there are people stupid enough to pay those prices…

5 Likes

I was convinced at some stage that you could literally sell rubbish on eBay if you called it handcrafted jewellery. I wanted to prove my point, I was correct, and made $0.10 out of it.

Literally the plastic wrapper off a coke bottle, which I slightly crumpled.

4 Likes

Haha. Your time and effort to “make”, advertise, package, and post equaled how much?

1 Like

Got my slave to do it.

1 Like

I’ve been planning to buy a second hand chest freezer, and finding them for around $200-300 for the size I need (need to be able to freeze beehive boxes to kill pest eggs). And other things at times. I nearly bought one last week. Overheard a workmate today arranging to put one up on Gumtree FTGH - with a polite enquiry I got it- for zip.

3 Likes

So often the way, not what you know but who you know, and being in the right place at the right time.

You bet your li-ife

I convinced someone to pay me money to not work for them.

2 Likes

I sold $600 worth of cladding for $100.

Someone out there is gloating.

1 Like

I pulled these beauties out of a skip a couple of years back along with the matching amp which didn’t work. I sold the amp straight away for $150 which I thought was pretty tidy, and used the speakers on and off for a few years. They had a good warm sound especially for the music I like to play. But I was a recovering 2nd hand hifi equipment addict, so there always were other speakers, and these spent a lot of time as fancy speaker stands or somewhere to put the pot-plants on. Early Covid I put these on sale hoping to get a couple hundred dollars for them - the switches were dodgy - ended up selling for ~1400. The guy was super chuffed to get them too - he had the matching amp and turntable. (Didn’t divulge the skip bit).

4 Likes

300 bucks - Afroboy was free.

I don’t know how they tidy up but getting a decent period “chez lounge” or WTF you say it for under 1K is virtually impossible. The chairs came part of the deal.

It’s for Mrs SOs birthday - she always wanted mums but my sister being what she is slipped in and nicked it.

In a moment of sheer tactical brilliance with absolutely no afterthought I asked mum to keep it in her garage while I figured out how to clean it up… she offered to do it.

It’s not velvet material, and does have a few stains, but the timber isn’t rotting and the stitchings fine.

Hopefully keep me in the good books anyway for another year.

2 Likes

Then there was this, 20 bucks.

There was a time kids this was the expectation, not the hope.

3 Likes

I got the 1993 Mitre 10 poster, fully signed and laminated, for $10. I win.

2 Likes

COA?