The Guitar Thread

Essnetially when the US got Mexican made ones in the lower ends of the price range, we (and I think Europe?) got Japanese ones.

Changed a bit now, the Mexican ones are low end, Japanese ones are mid range, US top end.

With the zombie apocalypse limiting most activities at the moment, can any of you gurus give me some advice about online tutorials for a 10 yo to continue his beginner learning please?

Also our 6yo is learning keyboard so info for that would be great as well.

Cheers (from 1.5m+ away)

1 Like

My 7yo is starting and weā€™re using the app Yousician. Itā€™s game based learning, so keeps their interest.

1 Like

Ah, Fender is offering a free online tutorial for 3 months if you get on quickly. My older 2 daughters signed up today.

3 Likes

Hmmmā€¦ my 7yo is interested (finally) and now we are stuck at home together for the foreseeable future. Lessons I give him last about 20 seconds because he wonā€™t listen and wants to show ME etc. Managed to teach him to play (barely) just the open string pattern at the start of Nothing Else Matters, but heā€™s literally played the pattern less than 10 times. Still itā€™s a giant leap, so I should be grateful, though teaching him to fret a note is more painful for me than it is for him.
Will check out Yousician, as from memory you use a real guitar along with an iPad, which he has.

1 Like

I reckon Iā€™m going to need to dig out my guitar. Itā€™s been a while.

2 Likes

DO IT!!!

1 Like

Son is in lockdown at home with the Kids, ā€¦ just started posting Covers and taking requests, ā€¦ got the kids involved with their Gits Keys Tambos etc, Posted about a dozen so far.

Kids are very creative, so they are taking the pizz walking in & out with silly shitt on their heads etc, .planning it out and making sort of Home Vid clips. Been LMAO, and also swelling wit pride at their talent and creativity shining.

Could be a blessing in disguise.

G/Son been writing & performing his rap, ā€¦ which I hate, ā€¦ but heā€™s very good lyrically and is getting great feedback from those that dig it.

3 Likes

I wish I could set all my stuff up now that it has all arrived from the States, but Iā€™m in a rental right now and donā€™t have anywhere to put it.

1 Like

How long? I remember getting my Dads crappy classical guitar out of the cupboard when I was about 15yo in 1993 after someone showed me the intro to Today by Smashing Pumpkins :jack_o_lantern: at a party. It must have been a Kmart Special from the 70ā€™s - it still had cat gut strings on it.
Lucky I had mates to put me on the path!

How much stuff you got?

Haha. Depends if you mean ā€œpicked it up, strummed a couple of chords and tried to convince son to have a lookā€ or ā€œplayed properly and got some callousesā€

In the first case sometime in the last 5 years. In the second case something more like 15.

A 7 piece drum kit, two basses, one guitar, one synth, one guitar amp, an Ampeg bass head and two 2x10 speaker cabinets.

1 Like

Yep, use any guitar. Your deviceā€™s mic picks up the pitch and timing of the notes played. Worth checking out at least. My son is more interested in this than following direction from me.

1 Like

Reckon Marty someoneorother has some good freebies on YT.

For piano, my kid got into Hoffmanā€™s Academy for a while (6-7) but has dropped off since he discovered more mindless ipad pursuits

2 Likes

So after much digging I got to the guitar. My fingers are now sore, bit it was worth it.

4 Likes

Nice, that beautiful axe deserves to be played.

What model is it?

Itā€™s a bottom end Martin (I think it was called road series), with the small body. 000M.

Iā€™m sure itā€™s real fun to play.

My guitar teacher has a Martin 00M, not sure if itā€™s a Road Series but itā€™ not too fancy, it does have a pick-up in it. Heā€™s had it for years and years as his main gigging guitar, plus he teaches and plays it all day everyday so itā€™s taken a beating and has been repaired a heap of times - on itā€™s last legs though now I think.

Personally I love shiny new guitars, or some of the really wild looking relicā€™d guitars, with nice brand names, and they inspire me to want to play, whereas the real pros donā€™t give a crap about that stuff, they just see it as a tool and want it to feel good in their hands.

It helps me put things in perspective sometimes.

1 Like

:slight_smile: mines very much a bedroom guitar. Picked it up second hand, and pretty sure it had rarely been played, and Iā€™m forever disappointed at my lack of using it. It has a pickup, but no pre, and the Fishman I bought years ago doesnā€™t seem to work anymore. Must be a short somewhere.

So much to get back into.

(Like the rest of life as kids have started to get bigger)

1 Like